FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

January transfer window.

Guest Shaun

12 minutes ago, ICTRoughi said:

Yeah however the value with the instalments meets the release clause, so in theory a bid would have been accepted for Tansey, which leads me back to my original question, how were we able to block a move? 

Put it more simple Roughi. I want to buy a car from you. I make you an offer that meets your valuation. I then stipulate that I will pay you in three installments over the next year. Meanwhile you need to find money to pay of the finance on the car because they want the money now (Pay sell on fee) but you dont have that cash available. Am I entitled to take your car away from you and leave you temporarily out of pocket because I meet your valuation even though I dont intend to pay in full up front.

2 minutes ago, ICTRoughi said:

In the event of Tansey terminating his contract, he can't join Aberdeen until the window opening again in June apparently.

He could only terminate it if he could establish that the club were materially in breach of it. I doubt very much if that is the case but if it was he would them become a free agent, free to sign for any club including Aberdeen outwith the window.

5 minutes ago, Alex MacLeod said:

Put it more simple Roughi. I want to buy a car from you. I make you an offer that meets your valuation. I then stipulate that I will pay you in three installments over the next year. Meanwhile you need to find money to pay of the finance on the car because they want the money now (Pay sell on fee) but you dont have that cash available. Am I entitled to take your car away from you and leave you temporarily out of pocket because I meet your valuation even though I dont intend to pay in full up front.

I can see where you're coming from Alex but the sticking point is solely in the release clause. In the situation you've told me above, I have it in writing that if a potential buyer meets my valuation of the car, then I have to accept the offer regardless if it leaves me out of pocket or not. What I also don't understand is, why is a release clause in a contract if other clubs aren't allowed to know about it? 

Seems a bit odd if you ask me. 

• Agree 1

We do not come off this looking good it has to be said. Arguably one of our best players doesn't want to be here and it sounds like we've thrown our toys out the pram because it's Aberdeen, yet again, wanting our players. Who don't they want from us though? Watkins turned them down and draper was linked a month or so ago.

This is highlighting a real problem for me now. Why should we have to keep losing our best players to teams in the same league for free and ridiculously low fees? It's been happening for 15 years now. It's not a sport anymore, it's all about what business can generate  the most money. With Bosman coming in as well, it means the big clubs can basically steal little teams, like ours, best players without compensation. I'm not saying that the players should be on Jim Maclean style contacts but something needs to protect the club as well. It shouldn't be right that our captain leaves the club for nothing and joins our direct rivals who only finished a handful of points ahead of us. He's probably worth damn near a million for Aberdeen now. 

What a can of worms! Who knows how this will end, but I'm sure it isn't over and I've got a horrible feeling that we'll end up being on the losing end somehow. Fingers crossed, ICT got their facts right and stood their ground legitimately and it was Aberdeen who were squarely in the wrong.

I share some of Sir C the 3rd's concerns about the way football is set up and the apparent conflict between maintaining a competitive league and upholding employment law. As somebody mentioned earlier, in what other walk of life is compensation required at all for an employee moving jobs? And why only for 2 short periods during the year? Could this be challenged by a player at some point (Bosman take 2)? Ultimately, despite the efforts of the football authorities to try to maintain some semblance of compensation for clubs that develop and nurture players, the truth is that in the Scottish climate only the biggest clubs can afford (or pretend to afford in one case!) to pay transfer fees and most of the market is on "frees". Small clubs like ours face a terrible dilemma for every player - cash in bofore their contract is up and risk getting less than market value or get the best from the player for as long as possible and lose him on a free to a club that can afford higher wages? What this means is that small clubs that raise their heads above the parapet can only ever be a flash in the pan - I feel the burn, I'm afraid.

• Agree 2

A part of me is happy the club took things this far because in all honesty 'screw aberdeen!' cant stand that club. However, I fear we have shot ourselves in the foot by now potentially having a player who wants to be elsewhere, whats that going to be like in the dressing room? I like tansey but reckon we have players capable of replacing him and could have used that money for future signings.  Also wonder if this has all happened purely because it's Aberdire? Would there have been such a problem had it been Hearts or Stj etc that had come in for him?

It must have been a crazy day for Tansey yesterday and i do feel sorry for him, he may well currently be very annoyed with certain people within the club for denying him the opportunity to move to Aberdeen. But he is a footballer, and he will want to play football. If he doesnt put in a shift in training, he wont be on the pitch on a saturday. If he doesnt play games, he wont be happy, but also he limits his chances of a move in summer, as it stands he has another year and a half here unless some club want to pay for his clause (the correct amount). His only option really, however pissed off or not, is too knuckle down, impress potential suitors and he can leave in a few months. If he sulks, hes playing a very dangerous game for his own short career.

If Aberdeen had come in with the bid a day earlier, they would probably have Tansey just now, but they dont. 

• Agree 2

There are parallels with the Hughes episode earlier in the season. JH was denied permission to speak to Dundee United - but that's all it was - an opportunity to 'see what they had to offer'. He hadn't cleared-out his desk. But, Tansey's situation is more difficult. If reports are to be believed, he and his agent were at Pittodrie discussing terms...he may even have said his 'goodbyes' to his Inverness colleagues - it puts him in an unenviable position and if this were politics, a 'lame duck'.
It's like reading the paper on your lunch-break and seeing your lottery numbers have come up, then immediately discharging the fire-extinguisher all over your boss and his office before heading home with a defiant GIRFUY...only to discover you'd not put your ticket on! :lol:
Obviously a ridiculous example, but when you've 'shown your hand' it's very difficult to integrate back in, as if nothing's happened.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Sir C the 3rd said:

Arguably one of our best players doesn't want to be here  

10 minutes ago, Jaggy666 said:

potentially having a player who wants to be elsewhere

Can I suggest that ALL of our players would rather be elsewhere! The difference is that most of them don't really have a choice of anything better or more lucrative than ICT at this particular moment in time, whereas Tansey believed he did.

I applaud him for having maintained thus far a dignified silence on all this, (in public, at least) and hope he has the drive and professionalism to keep giving his all. He may well feel some bitterness just now towards the ICT board - but surely not towards Yogi, his teammates or the fans. In addition, he should perhaps be having some strong words with his agent who at the end of the day, agreed to a release clause that wasn't adequately worded to secure Tansey the move his performances had earned.

• Agree 4

Surely our asking price must have been agreed BEFORE Aberdeen were given permission to speak to him? Or is it the case that our fee was agreed but we were not sharp enough to insist on it bring payable up front before permission was given.

3 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Surely our asking price must have been agreed BEFORE Aberdeen were given permission to speak to him? Or is it the case that our fee was agreed but we were not sharp enough to insist on it bring payable up front before permission was given.

I don't think there has been any confirmation that permission was ever given...

4 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

...yes, as Kingsmills says, some reports suggest that part of the issue is that Tansey was tapped up without permission. Not sure how well founded these reports are!

29 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Can I suggest that ALL of our players would rather be elsewhere!

Not Miles Storey, as we all know from the song about his magic hat

I would certainly like to hear from ICT their perspective on the Tanseygate issue!     Nowt but silence...

I would also like to hear why we could not find a striker, was Yogi actually trying to sign one or was he hoping for one of the new signings to transform into one?

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, caley100 said:

I would certainly like to hear from ICT their perspective on the Tanseygate issue!     Nowt but silence...

I would also like to hear why we could not find a striker, was Yogi actually trying to sign one or was he hoping for one of the new signings to transform into one?

My sentiments exactly, on both counts!!

We had to put up with Hughes wasting most of the month chasing his pet striker and once again failing miserably in bringing in some much needed firepower up front. Let's just hope this does not contribute to us finding ourselves in a relegation battle as this league is so tight from 4th down anybody can be sucked into the mire. 

• Agree 1

This Tansey shituation is a bit messy to say the least! I'm delighted the club are sticking up for themselves but since when did we become so brave that we're causing havoc in a transfer saga? I'm guessing that the sheep haven't used the correct channels to speak with Tansey given that we rejected the offer yet somehow he's still agreed to move? The club isn't going to let a player speak with another team unless a bid has been accepted! 

Pretty poor from a team that consider themselves as second biggest in Scotland now! 

however I do worry that this has now unsettled a key player and that he won't be played between now and the end of the season! 

Sayin all that, does anyone actually know if Tansey wanted to go! I've read all the reports but then I've also seen that he wasn't so keen on the move and also been told he's sacked his agent! 

On the striker search, again we've been left disappointed slightly yet not surprised! At the same time, unless we were going get someone on loan then the window shitting makes no difference! 

The frustrating thing is Hughes made it clear we wanted stokes but it was never really going to happen IMO! Yet when it comes to searching we never make it that clear who we're actually going for! It's always a few trialists! 

The new signings have given me a little confidence though. one has been in first team action for the last few seasons a stuck with one team whilst the other is apparently a decent free kick taker and was signed by Brentford who are a good team...it was just a case of he couldn't break into the first team! 

I think the outgoing players compared to the incoming players since Hughes has come in does make for grim reading but it is hard to blame the manager for one side of this, our good players are always going to move onto better things whether for free or for a fee but I am not too confident in JH's ability to replenish our ranks at the minute with an ever worrying transfer policy. I hope these new lads are a couple of gems but was it really the midfield we needed to strengthen!

Not much to say on the Tansey transfer deal as no one knows exactly what happened fro our point of view(do we even know what happened from theirs?) but there's two sides to every story. That journo in the other thread is a complete knob, he justifies why I don't read any of the horse sh*t in any of the rags or their website equivalent. Even the back pages are manure.

Edited by LundavraJag

I'm of the view point that Terry Butcher found it easier to bring players to Inverness than John Hughes can purely on the basis that Butcher had a higher stature in the game than Hughes during his time with us.