Jump to content

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, BallisticSheriff said:

Yeah I know, I"m meaning more like Falkirk, Perth and Aberdeen where they have one "big" team and not like Dundee where theres Dundee  United and Dundee FC. 

 

Inverness football support has always been fractured and split, and the merger did little to change that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The club is heading for exactly the level it should be at based on the attendance figures it gets compared to others in Scotland. Its a fact we should all get used to. Until some bluesky thinking is s

We were widely ridiculed by Central Belt commentators and pundits for our small crowds when we were at Pittodrie. However, the fact that Hamilton v Livingston in the Premiership on Saturday attra

Paying for cup games or playoffs is standard practice the world over.  Think of it another way - as we debate our club being skint --- the club can budget or at least be aware of the fact that th

Posted Images

The product that was known as "the working mans game", where it was an escape on a Saturday, for a small entrance fee, to watch your local team play, is long gone. Money has spoiled the game so much now. It's all about budgets. The club need to budget for players wages, and  they need to charge the supporters an equivalent amount to try and go someway to balance the books. Times have changed a lot since the 90's, people have a lot more options to spend their hard earned cash on, they too have to budget, and if it's a toss between going to the football, where they don't know what quality will be on offer or going to the cinema, where you do, then they may choose the latter, or something similar.

I have watched football in Inverness since 1970, and it was the same problem with attendances in the Highland League then. Caledonian and Inverness Thistle were not blessed with huge attendances in Highland League games, but in cup competitions they could bring in a couple of thousand,  and then back to a couple of hundred the following week. Whether it's apathy or some folk just wanting to spend their money on the more glamorous matches, who knows, but if half of them then, or half of them now would attend the league games, the club would be in a far healthier place, attract better players and hopefully put on a better product.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 12:09 AM, Scotty said:

Paying for cup games or playoffs is standard practice the world over. 

Think of it another way - as we debate our club being skint --- the club can budget or at least be aware of the fact that they will host 16 home league games. These have costs that need to be budgeted for when we set ticket prices. Costs such as heat, light, stewarding, policing, etc etc etc. We cannot know before the season how many cup games we may be involved in, or if we will be in the playoffs. If we did - and having these in the package was actually allowed - then we would have to factor in that cost into the overall season ticket price. You would not "pay" for these games when they came along as you already did so ......

I was the same over here in 2016 and 2017 when Toronto got to the MLS Cup Final .... cost me about $300 for my season ticket, then as the playoffs came along it cost me the same again over about 4 or 5 games in our run to the final each year. Same applied when the club were in the Champions League over here. We actually got the first game 'included' in the ticket price but had to pay for all others in our run to the final of that competition too !  My $300 season suddenly became  about $900 ! 

 

Personally, I think crowds are down because people have so many other things to spend their ever decreasing discretionary cash on, and the football authorities have, over the years, made the sport less enjoyable and killed the atmosphere to a point where going to a game is not high priority for those outside of the diehards.

There are probably things the club can do better, but its not their fault that a typical football game nowadays involves 'customers' turning up to a stadium to be treated like potential criminals for a disproportionate sum of money that has to sustain ever spiralling costs, to be fed on over-priced crap, while watching a game that is inevitably of a lower standard than we have been used to because the Scottish game just cant compete even with the lowest tiers in England because of TV money. 

I dont know the answer, no clue at all, but as much as the club can do, the SFA and SPFL need to try and figure something out for everyone's sakes !       

Chapeau sir !

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I've seen that attendance is up +6.4% with an average of 2548 at Caley Stadium. Still leaves a lot of empty seats when the capacity is 7500+ but atleast its up! 

Edited by BallisticSheriff
Added a full stop to keep the part time English teachers happy.
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BallisticSheriff said:

I've seen that attendance is up +6.4% with an average of 2548 at Caley Stadium. Still leaves a lot of empty seats when the capacity is 7500+ but atleast its up! 

The increase is entirely due to the two home derby matches. Strip that out and average is actually slightly down on the season before.

 

Edited by Kingsmills
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robert said:

And next season we have lost the derby and Falkirk used to bring a good backing. Can’t see many coming from Arbroath. 

Arbroath's average gate this season was mid 900's

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Robert said:

And next season we have lost the derby and Falkirk used to bring a good backing. Can’t see many coming from Arbroath. 

Only way I can see a decent attendance against Arbroath is if we get them at home on the first day, and the club somehow tie it into the anniversary celebrations...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Naelifts said:

Can anyone remember how successful our "pay what you want" match against St Johnstone (?) a few seasons ago was. I seem to recall we did quite well. Just out of interest

A quick Google suggests the crowd was around 3,100 which was 700 below our average that season. That said, it is quite possible that the crowd would have been lower had it not been for the initiative.

People commenting on how many folk Arbroath might bring are wasting their time. We need to look to get the home fans that have drifted away over the last couple of seasons back through the gates.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3100 for a midweek game against St Johnstone would have been good numbers.  Must have been seen as a success by the club as they did it again for a match versus Partick Thistle after that.

Does anyone know why the club has deleted all its old stories for the website?  A lot of the links for things on google aren't working.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Buster said:

3100 for a midweek game against St Johnstone would have been good numbers.  Must have been seen as a success by the club as they did it again for a match versus Partick Thistle after that.

Does anyone know why the club has deleted all its old stories for the website?  A lot of the links for things on google aren't working.

They probably haven't been deleted just the links are all broken since the site got redesigned. Not sure though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a generation thing most guys my age are old firm fans few people had an interest in the highland league and since we formed the young guns never really took to us after the initial novelty wore of for whatever reason still barely see a young un in a caley top my wee mans the only ict fan in his year at school! Tough 1 to change even under butcher and Yogi when we were a top side crowds didn't exactly swell! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

It's a generation thing most guys my age are old firm fans few people had an interest in the highland league and since we formed the young guns never really took to us after the initial novelty wore of for whatever reason still barely see a young un in a caley top my wee mans the only ict fan in his year at school! Tough 1 to change even under butcher and Yogi when we were a top side crowds didn't exactly swell! 

Why on earth would you support one of the Old Firm living in Inverness ? In fact, why on earth would you support them full stop?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Why on earth would you support one of the Old Firm living in Inverness ? In fact, why on earth would you support them full stop?

I no my man but yet buses go every week to either cess pit ! Soon as my kids could walk they were told support your local team least u can see them in the flesh!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RiG said:

They probably haven't been deleted just the links are all broken since the site got redesigned. Not sure though.

Can't find any new links or archives on the new site, so I dunno.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotty will possibly know why. I believe they are using a new host/server or whatever the terminology and they are no longer connected to the same server that CTO use. Possible some stuff got lost when they transferred. 

 

Can move this to tech forum and see if anyone knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Why on earth would you support one of the Old Firm living in Inverness ? In fact, why on earth would you support them full stop?

It's typical, prior to the election to the League, they've followed Rangers, Celtic or Aberdeen, then passed it on through generations who've followed the Glory Hunter trait as opposed to the Local Team trait, yet claim to be diehard fans except they haven't even put a toenail inside Ibrox, Parkhead or Pittodrie.

Though a minority support, it's still one of the reasons we (And C*unty) are losing out on ticket sales, and the only time they make an appearance is when when any of the three come North...

Just the power of Scottish Football. Focuses on the big boys and the wee teams are left at the back of the shed, never, if rarely, seeing daylight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Double the pitch up as a bowling green give them half price tickets for the games might even bring down the average age of our support some of the dudes sit nxt to me dunno if they're still breathing at times waxy skin no noise old school Orion group tops scary stuff

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Double the pitch up as a bowling green give them half price tickets for the games might even bring down the average age of our support some of the dudes sit nxt to me dunno if they're still breathing at times waxy skin no noise old school Orion group tops scary stuff

Whatever the way to attract more fans is it certainly isn't by insulting many of those who do attend faithfully.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. : Terms of Use : Guidelines : Privacy Policy