FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

What Films Have You Seen Recently?

RiG

Just in from seeing Beowulf at the cinema. Took in one of these Real D showings. Pretty weird feeling having arrows and spears appearing to fly "out" of the screen. The film itself wasn't too bad overall. Some of the animation is truly excellent.

I'll say 6/10 for that one.

Saw Beowulf last night and not sure what to make of it .... stunning animation to the point where you werent totally sure if bits of it were animated or inter-cut with live action footage ..... turns out everything is animated but the green screen method used by Zemeckis allowed some of the characters (Anthony Hopkins / Angelina Jolie) to look 100% life like !

The quality of the animation was part of its downfall for me .... I spent too much time wondering if any of it was live action and then when I realised it was not, spent more time in awe of the quality. The story itself is very weak and if it were truly a live action film it would probably have tanked badly !

Saw Beowulf last night and not sure what to make of it .... stunning animation to the point where you werent totally sure if bits of it were animated or inter-cut with live action footage ..... turns out everything is animated but the green screen method used by Zemeckis allowed some of the characters (Anthony Hopkins / Angelina Jolie) to look 100% life like !

The quality of the animation was part of its downfall for me .... I spent too much time wondering if any of it was live action and then when I realised it was not, spent more time in awe of the quality. The story itself is very weak and if it were truly a live action film it would probably have tanked badly !

The story's weak?! It's only northern Europe's oldest tale! You'll get many a historian's back up with such comments! :) I thought it was not bad but I think I'd have preferred it as a more conventional format film. Although, with films like Lord Of The Rings, the borders between the two are becoming quite blurry!

The story's weak?! It's only northern Europe's oldest tale! You'll get many a historian's back up with such comments! :)

lol - perhaps but the story is still weak .... and the film changes a big portion of it does it not ? I thought that in the traditional story, Beowulf killed Grendel's mother rather than jumped into bed with her, and he was also king of his own lands rather than of Hroogar's before returning to slay the dragon rather than have it turn up when the horn was brought to hm ......

I've been watching Blood Diamond tonight for about the 50th time this year. Such a good film and easily my favourite from 2007. Di Caprios accent is either laughable or brilliant and I fall into the latter camp. Fantastic storyline that is never relenting and a very good ending as well.

9/10  :003:

I've been watching Blood Diamond tonight for about the 50th time this year. Such a good film and easily my favourite from 2007. Di Caprios accent is either laughable or brilliant and I fall into the latter camp. Fantastic storyline that is never relenting and a very good ending as well

I thought it was a great film and was very suprised by Di Caprio, who I think played the role very well. Great film, which shows the realities of todays life.