FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Marius check

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You surely have to question playing 4-5-1 at home?

This formation would work if we used it correctly, playing the high ball to Marius is a waste of time - as we have seen on numerous occasions.

With two giant defenders the midfielders have to drive forward playing low balls / one - twos etc, either that or going wide and get behind their defence, neither of course we did well on saturday.

Bayne came on, and of course he is suited to the high ball.

Bayne - 75% graft 25 % skill

Marius - 75% skill  25 % graft

You're right Rich and I'm happy to contradict myself slightly by agreeing that a 4-5-1 might work at home but not with Marius as the "1" bit, as he is not a target man.

I, personally, would play Marius and Denzil together and leave them for long enough to form a partnership, as they are both clever players and I'm sure this would bear fruit.

This formation would work if we used it correctly, playing the high ball to Marius is a waste of time - as we have seen on numerous occasions.

With two giant defenders the midfielders have to drive forward playing low balls / one - twos etc, either that or going wide and get behind their defence, neither of course we did well on saturday.

Bayne came on, and of course he is suited to the high ball.

Bayne - 75% graft 25 % skill

Marius - 75% skill  25 % graft

You forgot about pace and movement !!

You're right Rich and I'm happy to contradict myself slightly by agreeing that a 4-5-1 might work at home but not with Marius as the "1" bit, as he is not a target man.

I, personally, would play Marius and Denzil together and leave them for long enough to form a partnership, as they are both clever players and I'm sure this would bear fruit. 

Spot on firstly which is why I cant understand wht they persist away from home - Spot on again thereafter.  :029:

I fully understand why the club took a risk with Niculae. A club of our size seldom gets an opportunity to sign a player with so many international caps and indeed goals for a Country of reasonble standing in European football when he's at an age when most players haven't yet entered their prime.

There was an obvious thought that although he hadn't done much, if anything, during the two years or so immediately before we signed him he must once have been an outstanding talent who had had no career threatening injury and who was still relatively young even for a forward. What potential if it could only be recaptured !

There was always a risk that his salary, relative to others, would have a negative impact on team spirit and a knock on effect when others came to discuss renewing their contracts but if he recaptured his old form then all would benifit from more regular win bonuses and a share of end of season prize money. In any event the financial element of the risk was being partly underwritten by the chaiman.

The sad fact,however, is that it's becoming increasingly obvious that the risk hasn't paid off. While he's shown the occasional glimpse of outstanding talent he is not consistantly good far less consistantly brilliant. From a personal viewpoint I can hardly believe that a player who achieved so much on the international ane European stage not so long ago is so lacking in pace.

There may at the outset have been problems with lack of match fitness and unfamiliarity with team-mates but that should have ceased to be an issue months ago.

All in all it seems to me the the Niculae experiment has been a failure which has had much more of a negative impact on the club than a positive one.

That doesn't mean that I think the club were wrong to take the bold step of signing him at the time it's just a shame that that bold strategy hasn't paid off.

Are we not currently occupying a position higher than we ever have been in the SPL?

EDIT: Okay maybe not having looked at the table but given the gap between ourselves and the team in 4th are we really doing that badly?

I remember when we got behind the players, no matter what was going on in the background.

The problem seems to be that the player concerned is indirectly (ie. not personally) responsible for a lot of what is rumoured to be going on in the background. While I dont go to the far end of the scale that some users do when talking of Niculae, sadly I think that Kingsmills is fairly close to being spot on.

It was a bold move by the club for all the reasons mentioned, and I applaud them for having the balls to go through with it. However, so far the player seems to have shown very little in terms of recapturing the form that won him international caps and a move to one of Portugal's top teams. I would love him to recapture that form, I would love him to start banging in goals every week for us, I would love us to have a player on international duty at the Euros but I cant see it happening. We get glimpses that suggest he is trying to raise his game, but the simple fact is that he has not done it to the level or consistency where he is worth 2-3 times more than our other squad players.

Since day 1, the rumours have been flying about his contract causing problems behind the scenes. Take note, I am not saying that the player is causing problems, just his contract. Every player has to try for the best contract he can get so we can't hold that against him, and we cant really blame others for using his reputed wage to try and get better deals for themselves and then being envious or pissed off when the club dont come anywhere close.

There are some hard decisions to be made by the manager and the board over the next little while. Our team spirit is ebbing away,  there is dissension (as well as jealousy, envy and anger) in the ranks, and they have to do something to fix it up and quickly.

Do we get rid of Niculae and re-work our wage structure (ie. increase it) and then stick to it ? Do we re-work our wage structure and ask Niculae to prove his worth or take a pay cut ? or do we keep Niculae and be firm with the alleged 'rebels' ?

I don't know the answer, I just know that whatever is going on right now, whether based in rumour or in fact does not make me feel very good about my club.

Are we not currently occupying a position higher than we ever have been in the SPL?

EDIT: Okay maybe not having looked at the table but given the gap between ourselves and the team in 4th are we really doing that badly?

I am more concerned about what position we will be in next year if half of these rumours of player unrest are true.

There are some hard decisions to be made by the manager and the board over the next little while. Our team spirit is ebbing away,  there is dissension (as well as jealousy, envy and anger) in the ranks, and they have to do something to fix it up and quickly.

Do we get rid of Niculae and re-work our wage structure (ie. increase it) and then stick to it ? Do we re-work our wage structure and ask Niculae to prove his worth or take a pay cut ? or do we keep Niculae and be firm with the alleged 'rebels' ?

I don't know the answer, I just know that whatever is going on right now, whether based in rumour or in fact does not make me feel very good about my club.

Seems like it'd be better for all if we just went back to being a 'wee team up north'.  No ambition, know our rightful place within the hierarchy. Lets get back to looking forward to a back page cup headline once in a while. And lets know our lot involves taking the best players from over the bridge every season.

Some folk on here were complaining (rightly so) when Charlie used to use the small team mentality line. The same people on here have exactly the same attitude.

Personally, I don't think Marius has lived up to expectations at all, but he's still miles better than any other options we've got. It's the non stop, deeply personal, and at times, disgusting abuse he's received from day one from certain posters that's really got on my tits.

Maybe we should ask the club to approach these same people next time we sign someone, and ask them how much they think it'd be acceptable to pay them.

Seems like it'd be better for all if we just went back to being a 'wee team up north'.  No ambition, know our rightful place within the hierarchy. Lets get back to looking forward to a back page cup headline once in a while. And lets know our lot involves taking the best players from over the bridge every season.

Some folk on here were complaining (rightly so) when Charlie used to use the small team mentality line. The same people on here have exactly the same attitude.

Personally, I don't Marius has lived up to expectations at all, but he's still miles better than any other options we've got. It's the non stop, deeply personal, and at times, disgusting abuse he's received from day one from certain posters that's really got on my tits.

Maybe we should ask the club to approach these sane people next time we sign someone, and ask them have much they think it'd be acceptable to pay them.

My hero

Marius has is flashes proved he can play well and score, he has won us three games, and contributed to a few more.

The forwards we have and the style of play lately are the problem, most of our goals are from midfielders/defenders, Denzil is becoming a liability as he has once again lost his confidence, which is his only attribute as pace and aerial power are absent from his game.

Bayne will get a  normal 6 or 7 goals through effort instead of skill.

To me Brew is going into the realms of boring route1 football with effort and fitness to try and make up with the lack of skill he puts out, we have a skillfull and sometimes dangerous player in Barry Wilson, he cant even get a game now, Imrie is a huff and puff type who will work and get a break now and then but is not the same level as Barry or Black.

I hope that we turn things around  starting Saturday...i feckin do.

I am more concerned about what position we will be in next year if half of these rumours of player unrest are true.

Which sort of goes hand in hand with what I am saying. It's not usually me who tries to go with the glass half full stuff but it seems that despite our pretty lofty position there are those who continually try to drown the place in negativity. Wow, that was weird typing that.

And you even mention the key point here - RUMOURS! There is nothing concrete to suggest any of this is true but if there is then I'll admit I'm wrong.

Marius has is flashes proved he can play well and score, he has won us three games, and contributed to a few more.

The forwards we have and the style of play lately are the problem, most of our goals are from midfielders/defenders, Denzil is becoming a liability as he has once again lost his confidence, which is his only attribute as pace and aerial power are absent from his game.

Bayne will get a  normal 6 or 7 goals through effort instead of skill.

To me Brew is going into the realms of boring route1 football with effort and fitness to try and make up with the lack of skill he puts out, we have a skillfull and sometimes dangerous player in Barry Wilson, he cant even get a game now, Imrie is a huff and puff type who will work and get a break now and then but is not the same level as Barry or Black.

I hope that we turn things around  starting Saturday...i feckin do.

I think Imrie and Cowie have both shown flashes of being technically good players, and I also think that Duncan is a very tactically astute player. However, there are really only 5 really good technical players at ICT, and they are Black, Sutherland, Wilson, Marius and Phil McGuire (seriously). Only one of them started on Wednesday, and he is a defender.

Personally, I don't think Marius has lived up to expectations at all, but he's still miles better than any other options we've got. It's the non stop, deeply personal, and at times, disgusting abuse he's received from day one from certain posters that's really got on my tits.

Maybe we should ask the club to approach these same people next time we sign someone, and ask them how much they think it'd be acceptable to pay them.

Obviously it is not up to "these same people" to decide what would, or what wouldn't be an "acceptable" wage.

But there could very well be a case for consulting the present players as to whether any future signings should be paid up to 5 times the going rate for a first team squad player...

Can anyone deny that Marius's earnings have created a problem..?

The club could've shown their ambition by re-signing Dods and Dargo or at least replacing them with players who displayed similar qualities. During pre-season it was clear to everyone that we needed a pacy goalscorer and a centre-half who leads and organises - instead they brought in Marius in an attempt to start toying with the transfer market.

It's a classic example of what happens when businessman rather than football managers dictate which players come to a club and it's going to blow up in their faces. 

So now we ask the players who they think it's ok to sign? :017: We are indeed in a bad way if we let them run the club.

Maybe his wages have, maybe they havent....I don't know, or care. I have absolutely no interest in how much the players earn.

Seeing as the club are rumoured to be paying half his wages though, are you seriously suggesting the rest of the squad are on ?400 a week each???

So now we ask the players who they think it's ok to sign? :017: We are indeed in a bad way if we let them run the club.

Don't forget Brewster is still registered as a player. Are you saying that he should have no say in who is signed, and what his earnings could or should be..?

I havent had a go at Marius (or the board for signing him) - I think I have made it plain in my posting that my opinion is that it is not his fault. He is definitely a technically gifted player and he has won us games or contributed to wins, however, I dont think he is currently worth 2 or 3 times the wage of other senior players so it is the contract that is at fault not the player and that is what is rumoured to be causing a problem internally.

I was 100% behind CC but yes I did criticise him for the "club of our size" comments that he made frequently and no, I dont want to see us going back to the "wee team from the Highlands" description, but that could be where we are headed if we dont regain harmony within the squad.

There is a middle ground here somewhere and I sincerely hope our Chairman, Board, Manager and DoF can find it. They dont need to tell us what it is, but hearing news that certain players have put pen to paper on new contracts would be a good sign !

I guarentee some of the players are on ?1k +  a week

Perhaps Marius wasnt the best out there and the best we could get.  I would look to the previous management regime and their total lack of scouting.   I remember reading in July about Charlie going through CV's!!!!   I mean seriously why was he not out sooner looking at players,  thats why we ended up with Marius!

Brewster has been out and about though,  expect some decent signings at the end of the season.  If I remember correctly Dargo was brought in by Brewster and very early as well,  end of May time.  Hopefully we get a similar quality player in this summer.

I would expect Marius, Deano, Wyness, Hart, Zander and possibly Barry to be leaving in the summer,  plus we have a bit of money from transfers and freed up wages.  Big changes this summer!!

Don't forget Brewster is still registered as a player. Are you saying that he should have no say in who is signed, and what his earnings could or should be..?

Brewster is the manager, so he obviously decides who signs :017:

If he was just a player....then no, he should have no say.

And Scotty....I know you weren't having a go, and my post wasn't aimed at you. You raised more general questions (rather than views) in your post though, which is why I highlighted them.