FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Marius check

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

IMO, the problem has not been caused by Niculae, or the wage he is on, the problem lies in the way the whole thing has been handled from start to finish.

If you know that your going to be signing a player on a wage which is a good bit more than the rest of the squad then the last thing you do is ignore the contracts of all other players for so long whilst drooling over a single person.

When Brewster left us the first time, Charlie Christie stood up and criticised him for not taking care of player contracts, we now find out that whilst the club were bending over backwards to secure funding for Niculae and getting ready to go to court to secure his Visa, the rest of the squad were yet again being ignored, so much so that we now look towards the end of this season and the very real possibility of losing a large portion of our first team squad.......the question for me is....why the **** are we employing a Director of Football (one who gets paid more than most players) who has allowed this situation to arise on more than one occasion?  I can't imagine it would be acceptable at any other club, so why is it acceptable at ours?

All it would have taken to prevent many of the issues we are seeing now is for the DoF and the Manager to have sat down and sorted out our existing players before they went chasing anyone else.  To me, it looks like our most "loyal" players were simply taken for granted....and that is more likely to have p!ssed them off than anything else.

That, for me, would explain why some/many players might be a little hacked off.

As for the fans, the problem there is that the club failed to manage expectations.  The club went after Niculae like he was the last striker on the planet and then they billed him as some kind of demi-god who was going to take us to the top 6 and be banging the goals in with ease.

Personally, I think Niculae has added a fair bit to the team and has certainly done his share.  Had he been on the same wages as everyone else then I don't think he would criticised nearly as much as he is.  But the fact is, the club hyped him up to be better than what he has shown, and that created false hope and false expectations among the fans.  We could put out 10 clowns and Niculae on Saturday and if we lost, it would still be Niculaes fault in the eyes of many as they bought into the hype when he signed and they believe he should be winning the games all by himself.

The guy has been placed in a no-win situation and I wouldn't blame him if he was also feeling hacked off by the whole deal.

However, none of that changes the fact that the club now find themselves in a situation which is going to prove almost impossible to manage without some casualties.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewster has been out and about though,  expect some decent signings at the end of the season.  If I remember correctly Dargo was brought in by Brewster and very early as well,  end of May time.  Hopefully we get a similar quality player in this summer.

I hope you are right.

With regards to signings, Brewster has a good record.  Even at Dundee Utd!

In his first spell with us he signed:

Alan Morgan - Fair enough didn't work out, he was a young player proving himself.

Craig Dargo - Obviously a very successful signing.

At Yinted he signed:

Noel Hunt, Craig Conway, Christian Kalvenes and Lee Wilkie all of whom have been good signings.  He probably would've taken Dods there too if he hadn't got the bullet.

Since coming back he's brought in McGuire and Proctor, both of whom have done well.  McGuire definately had a settling affect on our defence and Proctor has shown he is a very handy player both in terms of versatility and ability.  Also, on first impressions Dougie Imrie has shown promise coming up from the First.  I'll draw a veil over Zibi!

We are only one win short of the number of league wins we registered last season and there are still 12 games left, if Niculae was such a passenger does anyone really think that would have been possible, considering he has played a part in the majority of wins too.

There are posters on here who have a seriously unhealthy obsession with him. :018:

Yes I think that JK did get it spot on the first time before the edit. And I accept his criticism as it was probably aimed at me BUT then we get erseholes like davieb who do not realise that it is aimed at the likes of him as well.  :029:

I note you are posting from Russia JK - you know me - I say my piece for the good of ICT - MN has been a DISGRACE in his away performances and that is where I see him most - I bait people and I admit that I have gone OTT to do that - The problem is that our season really has revolved around MN but I also say what I think for the good of ICT - so I will make one more Marius statement - and if I am asked or need an opinion I will post this again:

I agree with all of CD's post - have a feckin look folks - he has to sit on the fence but I dont - which has led to problems for me when I attend the TCS.

I BLAME the Management - they brought in Marius on a wave of media hype and fan hysteria - lets face it - who knew him before this season - then we got the youtube tapes of the Marius of old - They broke a well worked wage structure to bring in a player with a clear history of serious injuries and a player who had struggled to make an impact for several seasons - THAT WAS A WRONG DECISION. They set the poor man to fail OR perhaps they underestimated the SPL ?? Financial gain for WHO I ask ?

And then they play him when he clearly was far from ready - to justify the wage. CC did NOT want him - he was overruled - Marius inadvertently brought about the demise of CC. He should NEVER have played at Well or Midden - and what does that intent say to the players ??

Did I not note that he was slow without movement and clearly carrying injury from the word go - and I have been proved rite - so are you telling me that nobody else noticed?? !!

And not to bore ya all - as I have said before - which often goes unnoticed - The guy exudes class - he is a "natural" - he is an example to all about playing the game "simple" - his touch is sublime - on a training ground he can be a role model - at home he is a luxury that is affordable - I have always advocated that he should play at home - he can produce a moment of class that can win a game - as he has. But AWAY from home he is a "ball and chain" - other players have been sacrificed to play to his supposed strengths - He has no pace and no movement. He has wound up the squad with all of that.

And finally we have created "systems" to suit him and not the team - That is not his fault either and maybe it is not Brews ??

Marius came here - fair enuff - to be resurrected by Romania and maybe he convinced erseholes in our management that he could do that and earn ICT some highlights .

GIVE ME A FECKIN BREAK.

JK - Moscow - I will now go back to SARCASM ya commie ******* - but my match reports will remain as I see them.

Interesting quote from Brewster in today's P & J: "Marius Niculie was not injured or suspended.  I thought I would give him a rest and bring in Graham Bayne and Dennis Wyness".  So that blows out the window the "insider knowledge" that Marius has a clause in his contract that he must be played every week if fit.

I was disappointed with MN's performance against DU but in his defence he did take a hefty challenge late on in the first half, and he didn't get much in the way of decent support.  I still think he has much to offer ICT and if he played up front with Wyness the combination would develop into great partnership.  (BTW, the team didn't do much last night without Marius)  :023:

You don't agree with me, I don't agree with you. Fine, I've no problem with that, and I've no problem with healthy debates around the issue. After all, we all support, and want the best for our team.

You're on your own though if you want to reduce it to personal abuse.

FAO - davie b and fellow obsessives.

I agree with all of CD's post - have a feckin look folks - he has to sit on the fence but I dont - which has led to problems for me when I attend the TCS.

I BLAME the Management - they brought in Marius on a wave of media hype and fan hysteria - lets face it - who knew him before this season - then we got the youtube tapes of the Marius of old - They broke a well worked wage structure to bring in a player with a clear history of serious injuries and a player who had struggled to make an impact for several seasons - THAT WAS A WRONG DECISION. They set the poor man to fail OR perhaps they underestimated the SPL ?? Financial gain for WHO I ask ?

And then they play him when he clearly was far from ready - to justify the wage. CC did NOT want him - he was overruled - Marius inadvertently brought about the demise of CC. He should NEVER have played at Well or Midden - and what does that intent say to the players ??

Did I not note that he was slow without movement and clearly carrying injury from the word go - and I have been proved rite - so are you telling me that nobody else noticed?? !!

And not to bore ya all - as I have said before - which often goes unnoticed - The guy exudes class - he is a "natural" - he is an example to all about playing the game "simple" - his touch is sublime - on a training ground he can be a role model - at home he is a luxury that is affordable - I have always advocated that he should play at home - he can produce a moment of class that can win a game - as he has. But AWAY from home he is a "ball and chain" - other players have been sacrificed to play to his supposed strengths - He has no pace and no movement. He has wound up the squad with all of that.

And finally we have created "systems" to suit him and not the team - That is not his fault either and maybe it is not Brews ??

Marius came here - fair enuff - to be resurrected by Romania and maybe he convinced erseholes in our management that he could do that and earn ICT some highlights .

It would appear to me, with my limited knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes, that someone put pressure on someone to bring the guy here. Romanian connections etc.

It also seems like that pressure is being put on when it comes to picking the team. The last management team were unsuccessful in getting a team around Niculae hence their departure. The present management team are having the same problems. Players are not jealous of salaries, they are p!ssed of in the knowledge that their style of football does not fit in with Niculae's style so they know, no matter how hard they try, there's little chance of them being selected.

Why are contract's not being sorted? Is it because the club is dragging their heels or is it because the players themselves are reluctant to commit to a future wher someone on high is dictating who should or shouldn't play. Romanov syndrome springs to mind.

The above are personal thoughts and not facts.

Surely it's a risk / reward scenario?

Has anyone ever thought of the fact that if Marius, a player known across europe and still only 26, settles and returns to anything approaching his best then he will become an increasingly valuable asset to the team on the park (which I believe he has already achieved) increase the profile and standing of ICT, and potentially go on to attract wider interest (he is now on the radar screen of the national manager and may appear at the european championships) command a transfer fee in the region of 7 figures? And thus render all of those who sniped at his 'bumper' contract buffoons. :003:

I don't see any sense whatsoever in constantly trying to knock him down. He's a brilliant player who could easily go on to be the best to have ever worn an ICT shirt. And anyone who claims he isn't doing the business yet should explain how he was an integral part of the side that won 6 in a row and earned the SPL player of the month award. :003:

Surely it's a risk / reward scenario?

Has anyone ever thought of the fact that if Marius, a player known across europe and still only 26, settles and returns to anything approaching his best then he will become an increasingly valuable asset to the team on the park (which I believe he has already achieved) increase the profile and standing of ICT, and potentially go on to attract wider interest (he is now on the radar screen of the national manager and may appear at the european championships) command a transfer fee in the region of 7 figures? And thus render all of those who sniped at his 'bumper' contract buffoons. :003:

I don't see any sense whatsoever in constantly trying to knock him down. He's a brilliant player who could easily go on to be the best to have ever worn an ICT shirt. And anyone who claims he isn't doing the business yet should explain how he was an integral part of the side that won 6 in a row and earned the SPL player of the month award. :003:

He needs a team of players around him who can read him and play to his style for that to happen. So far it aint working. I think, if you read between the lines, contract and money have nothing to do with the problems. Somebody wants Niculae to succeed at all cost. Even if it means unrest in the team and plummeting back to where we came from. It just isn't happening so lets get back to the squad we once were. Players who give 110%, punch above their weight, play for each other etc. etc.

Players who give 110%, punch above their weight, play for each other etc. etc.

I think people are mistaking Marius' lack of pace (which btw for an international striker is shocking) for lack of effort.

chris, that comment you quote is a reflection of how the media used to refer to us and nothing to do with the pace, or lack of effort of Niculae

Players who give 110%, punch above their weight, play for each other etc. etc.

I think people are mistaking Marius' lack of pace (which btw for an international striker is shocking) for lack of effort.

chris, that comment you quote is a reflection of how the media used to refer to us and nothing to do with the pace, or lack of effort of Niculae

Ah

My apologies

But I do think that alot of people are unfair on Marius, he is very slow, but I think he gives 110% effort.

I dont doubt his effort or committment. The link up and gelling with the others just doesnt appear to be happening. He should have been brought in to fit into the team and not the team altered to fit around him.

That's very true and the reasons for the lack of linking up with, and gelling with others, have been pretty well documented on this and numerous other threads.

My abiding memory of Marius will always be the goal he scored against Killie after tackling, and taking the ball off Don Cowie, who was obviously planning on doing something much more spectacular.

I suppose I can forgive him for that one...  :014:

Why the past tense?

Is there no way back for him following his disastrous last outing?

Which one of the players are you talking about?  they all had a disastrous last outing, if its the Dee utd game you refer to, the tactics were shyte not the Marius one... open your blinkered eyes.