FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Internet Explorer 7

Scotty

I have been doing a little testing of Internet Explorer 7 with the IE7PRO add-on and it produces some interesting quirks on the site. These are browser issues, not site issues so we cannot do anything to solve them on this end.

One of the most annoying ones so far, and one which might explain why some users report that they post and it disappears, is that sometimes when posting using the 'quick reply' or 'fast reply' box at the bottom of the threads it just goes back to the forum index. I have had this happen to me a few times now using this add-on.

If it happens to you, do not panic, and do not press the back button ...... simply go to the reload button post-2-1231769372.png and press it .... you should get a message about resending data, thats fine, accept it, and when it reloads, that post you just spent 20 minutes typing out should now have been submitted.

We also recommend (especially on long posts) that you copy the post to the clipboard prior to submitting the post just in case you cant get it back using the reload method above ..... I have learned the hard way a few times !!!! To do that, click anywhere in the post box, press ctrl-A to select all, press ctrl-C to copy it to the clipboard and if your post does vanish and you cant get it back by reloading, go back to the thread and hit reply again and then press ctrl-V to paste the contents of the clipboard into the posting box !!!

PS - We still recommend FireFox for viewing of this site. I would also put Google Chrome ahead of IE when given the choice, but if you are in a work environment where IE is the mandatory browser (like me) then hopefully the tips above will help to lessen the frustration of this quirky browser.

• 1 month later...

Internet Explorer has caused me a lot of grief too Scotty..

And I lost two rather long posts on the forum there recently. I was well...miffed but I was not going to repost the whole thing again especially why I had no idea why it happened in the first and second place(s).

And I would not try any BETA stuff from Microsoft under any circumstances despite their desperae efforts for you to download Ie8 so you can bear the brunt of their mistakes whilst they learn from you.

Betas are not betta, they are worse.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had experience of Internet Explorer 8?

It appears to now be out of the Beta stage and I was wondering if I should dare download it as an upgrade to 7.

When IE7 appears to be working as well as Microsoft allows then idf it aint broke why fix it.

I do admit that it is a quirky and often really frustrating browser but will the IE8 be any better--sure to be more complicated, not more simple, and probably takes up more space when running.?

Finally I have a browser which is darned slow and I can't fathom out why it takes so long to bring up sites. Downloads also are blindingly fast--21,000kbs whilst uploads are anything but at about 429 kbs. Shaw Cable says my download speed is really really fast and also says the upload speed is about where it should be although I can't understand where they are coming to.

Anyone have any comments ?

Your connection sounds ok it's probably Scotty's wife not turning the treadmill fast enough.

I'm using IE8 and quite often when I navigate from one page to another I lose the page then it appears again, running a bit slower and there's too much going on in the background. I'll be changing back to firefox when I switch ISP.

I used to use Opera, (quite fast)

then i changed to Firefox which is fast.

Im now using Internet Explorer 8. I think its much faster and had no problems with it compared to the other browsers i have use.

Edited by stevenwebster