FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Djebi-zadi

AJS

rite back is the position that we have to address in the summer.

We probably couldn't afford him, and he may not even consider it, but Toronto FC's Marvell Wynne would be an instant hit. Young player (22) in the Rosscoe mould, hard as nails, blistering pace, not quite the finished article but my favourite TFC player last season for his determination and effort. Has played in the Olympics for USA as well as at U20 level and now has 2 full caps for them having played against Argentina (2007) and Sweden (2009)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fair play to Zadi ... he got pelters and maybe we will be proved wrong. Tel is certainly getting more out of him than Brew ever could.

Yesterday it sounded like he made a few crucial tackles, but he also had a few bombscare moments ... as someone in the chatroom said, an "on-edge" performance. He was also posted missing for the incident that saw Duncan sacrifice himself to a red card ......

I was maybe watching a different game but I thought the whole ICT team were attacking, with the exception of Esson, their break was made from a central position up over the half way line and...... it was Zadi's fault!

Not the right back, central defenders BUT the left backs fault!! WHAT???

If we continue to look for fault with this guy we will find it, he is only human. Why can't we offer some support instead,

'On edge' performance - well I was 'on edge' when he cleared off the line, I was 'on edge' prior to him hoffing the ball miles up the park, for a throw in, to allow our defence time to regroup near the end. As someone remarked on here, rugby style and that was needed, no time for fancy footwork. Find your man? They were all back helping out!

I was also 'on edge' waiting for him to receive MOM.

Long may he have me 'on edge' Scotty!

Don't know what has brought about the change in him but it sure feels good!

Dont get me wrong .... I am not minimising the improvements he has made, I am just not going as far as some in hailing him as the new messiah ! I think my expressions "on edge" would perhaps have been more accurate if I said "on a knife-edge".

According to the radio commentary (and I accept those who were actually at the game may have a better viewpoint), he was brilliant at times, but scary at other times. He made some crucial stops, but he also committed some basic errors that may have found us in trouble. Under the Brewster regime, these errors may have haunted us as we were a team of 11 individuals, under Butcher, none but the last one hurt us as we now seem to be a team of 11 colleagues.

There were a few occasions where ICT were attacking, and according to the commentators Zadi was the lone defender who held back. When the Duncan tackle happened, again ICT were attacking and this time Zadi didnt stay back. The commentators blamed him as he had been the last man for much of the game and was posted missing this time.

Regardless of this, I think we can all agree that he is the single most improved player since Butcher came in. He still has his bombscare moments and some dodgy tackles but he has been on hand to make some crucial ones as well. If Butcher can continue to help him improve then good on him - we may yet have a player we can be proud of instead of one we want rid off.

Dont get me wrong .... I am not minimising the improvements he has made, I am just not going as far as some in hailing him as the new messiah ! I think my expressions "on edge" would perhaps have been more accurate if I said "on a knife-edge".

According to the radio commentary (and I accept those who were actually at the game may have a better viewpoint), he was brilliant at times, but scary at other times. He made some crucial stops, but he also committed some basic errors that may have found us in trouble. Under the Brewster regime, these errors may have haunted us as we were a team of 11 individuals, under Butcher, none but the last one hurt us as we now seem to be a team of 11 colleagues.

There were a few occasions where ICT were attacking, and according to the commentators Zadi was the lone defender who held back. When the Duncan tackle happened, again ICT were attacking and this time Zadi didnt stay back. The commentators blamed him as he had been the last man for much of the game and was posted missing this time.

Regardless of this, I think we can all agree that he is the single most improved player since Butcher came in. He still has his bombscare moments and some dodgy tackles but he has been on hand to make some crucial ones as well. If Butcher can continue to help him improve then good on him - we may yet have a player we can be proud of instead of one we want rid off.

Now from this I assume(I hope I am correct) that he is more prone to 'bombscare' moments than the other defenders, say, Grantie, Rossco and U Know Who(I can't spell/pronounce his name) - if this is the case why are the 'good' reporters giving him MOM?

I would have thought that they would be only too aware of the sharp intake of breath by the ICT fans as Zadi provided another'bombscare' and that their reporting would reflect this.

When I watched the game I was only aware of a moment of uncertainity, by him, at the half way line, when we had a throw in, when he was unsure as to go forward or back. He went back and maybe before he would have gone forward and left his berth exposed. If this is evidence of coaching then praise to them. However he intercepted many times, tackled well and can definately clear his lines.

Not the finished article but Hastings must be having sleepless nights.

I don't see right-back as a priority at all (see previous message). Tokely has always been a target for some people but I think he generally plays pretty well. Proctor of course as cover. In fact, it's probably the last position that needs strengthening with Mihadjuks away, Djebi-Zadi presumably coming to the end of his contract (should be given more matches but I'm 50:50 with him so far), Black, Kerr, Gattheusi, Foran, Eric and Morais also leaving (so far).

Now from this I assume(I hope I am correct) that he is more prone to 'bombscare' moments than the other defenders, say, Grantie, Rossco and U Know Who(I can't spell/pronounce his name) - if this is the case why are the 'good' reporters giving him MOM?

I would have thought that they would be only too aware of the sharp intake of breath by the ICT fans as Zadi provided another'bombscare' and that their reporting would reflect this.

When I watched the game I was only aware of a moment of uncertainity, by him, at the half way line, when we had a throw in, when he was unsure as to go forward or back. He went back and maybe before he would have gone forward and left his berth exposed. If this is evidence of coaching then praise to them. However he intercepted many times, tackled well and can definately clear his lines.

Not the finished article but Hastings must be having sleepless nights.

As i conceded in my comments, those who were at the game may have seen it differently. I only have the benefit of radio commentary and I am the first to admit that the two can be poles apart when it comes to their viewpoint. You deal not only with your own predisposed bias, but that of the commentator too.

Your post had one thing I think we can agree on though ..... "Not the finished article".

If Butcher can take him from a player most of us would have been happy to see gone from the club to one where he is being called man-of-the-match in just 3 or 4 weeks, then I for one am happy at the transformation .... gawd knows what he will have turned him into by the end of the season if the improvement continues.

In fact, it's probably the last position that needs strengthening with Mihadjuks away, Djebi-Zadi presumably coming to the end of his contract (should be given more matches but I'm 50:50 with him so far), Black, Kerr, Gattheusi, Foran, Eric and Morais also leaving (so far).

Did I miss something this weekend ?

We know Black is going, but are the others confirmed as going ? I know they are only on contract to the end of season but I seem to have missed any announcement on them all ?

Guest Muir-Jaggie

In fact, it's probably the last position that needs strengthening with Mihadjuks away, Djebi-Zadi presumably coming to the end of his contract (should be given more matches but I'm 50:50 with him so far), Black, Kerr, Gattheusi, Foran, Eric and Morais also leaving (so far).

We know Black is going, but are the others confirmed as going ? I know they are only on contract to the end of season but I seem to have missed any announcement on them all ?

Fraser is going to motherwell (pre-contract)

zanders contract is up at the end of season

I was maybe watching a different game but I thought the whole ICT team were attacking, with the exception of Esson, their break was made from a central position up over the half way line and...... it was Zadi's fault!

Not the right back, central defenders BUT the left backs fault!! WHAT???

Watch it again.

just watched the highlights on the BBC website ...... Zadi was in the thick of things a few times.

A timely goal line clearance that sent Wilkie into the hoardings :rotflmao:

post-2-1234913659.png

An excellent tackle on Sandaza that Utd claimed was a penalty :thumb04:

post-2-1234913699.png

However, he did miss a tackle when virtually all the team were attacking and Duncan, as the last man, had to put in one.

post-2-1234913725.png

Looking at Duncan's tackle though, there is a strong suspicion that he got the ball first and Swanson tripped over the outstretched leg. I think Duncan can be a little miffed at the red card even if it did look that way in the refs eyes.

post-2-1234913765.png

post-2-1234913837.png

post-2-1234913859.png

post-2-1234913903.png

post-2-1234913924.png

post-2-1234913946.png

In the interests of fairness towards the referee - who could have succumbed and given a penalty when Utd claimed it after Zadi's excellent tackle mentioned above - the view from his angle, as shown in Pat Nevin's video analysis, would make it hard to give anything but a red card.

post-2-1234914588.png

If he touched the ball first then he MUST have gone for the ball instead of the man. In this circumstance was it not impossible for him to avoid falling down at which point he was not in control of his legs even if they were attached to his hips.?:rotflmao:

And therefore was it his fault that said DU player was unable to stop (being in full flight, like), took one or two further steps and then in a fankle fell over the poor lad's prone pins?

Shocking decision by the ref despite the fact that had said DU player been able to keep his feet he would have again been able to collar the ball because it would STILL have made no difference since Zebi Djadi would have by then upended him like a big horse falling at Beechers brook . :thumb04:

End of story.

No announcement. But no announcement that any are intending to stay, which is why I've said they're leaving (so far) - i.e. unless something changes, they're out of contract and free to leave.

If he touched the ball first then he MUST have gone for the ball instead of the man. In this circumstance was it not impossible for him to avoid falling down at which point he was not in control of his legs even if they were attached to his hips.?:rotflmao:

And therefore was it his fault that said DU player was unable to stop (being in full flight, like), took one or two further steps and then in a fankle fell over the poor lad's prone pins?

Shocking decision by the ref despite the fact that had said DU player been able to keep his feet he would have again been able to collar the ball because it would STILL have made no difference since Zebi Djadi would have by then upended him like a big horse falling at Beechers brook . :thumb04:

End of story.

The way I read it after viewing it a couple of times is that Russel did indeed get the ball first, but that after that he raised his foot again. It was this that caused the trip rather than the tackle.

This may have been intentional, ie to trip him up in case the ball was not sufficiently cleared, may have just been a part of his action. Either way, the fact that Russ, who is known for making his opinion clear on these matters, walked away so meekly says he is thinking it was a fair cop.

NO shame on him though, remember Proctor too, took one for the team earlier in the year?

I don't agree that Lionel is the most improved player. He has always had these attributes, the only difference being that he is now getting a few games to consolidate his performances and we are seeing the benefits in his perceived improved performances and playing for the first team we are now all aware of his style of play. Still some raw edges, but who better to learn from than Mr Butcher.

When he arrived at the club I was one of the few who said he could be a decent signing given a chance. I also said in the Partick report that he probably had played his last game for us, judged solely on his first half performance and his hooking at half time. However, being handed the left back slot has done him no harm at all and he may well now flourish given a run of games making it difficult for Hastings to regain his slot. After all, Hastings is the one player who is posted missing most games when we are attacked in the left back area, he can't head the ball very well, and his crosses are woeful, hence the back to Canada rant at Motherwell a couple of years ago (oats)

With Lionels general demeanour, he should strike fear into most players, a la Balde, and hopefully he will continue to be an asset to help our cause. (he still frightens the life out of me)

So, well done Lionel and long may your lum reek.

I will never ever be allowed to forget that rant will i ?

:rotflmao: :thumb04:

No

.... does anyone else feel we are just waiting for Zadi to make a big mistake??

I think we all share this feeling due to the low opinion held when he was signed and, in fairness, his play under Brew did not move that opinion up the scale. What has happened now is amazing and we either enjoy it or sit on the edge of our seats each time he is involved in the game.

I would like to think that we will see him flourish, due to coaching and confidence, into a big hearted, skilled defender with even IHE on his side. Choice on Saturday between Wilkie, Kenneth or Zadi, for the neutral and I feel Zadi would have shaded it.

For us, we are still, like IHE, holding our breath at times.

To be honest - he makes a mistake and plays well - that is part and parcel of it. If he makes a BIG mistake he should be hooked pronto, the team undoes the one off damage and his position is reviewed.

Personally I dont think that he is a full back with a defenders natural insticnt or positioning. Butcher has made it clear that perform and you will play - Zadi is passing muster at the moment. I really hope that I am wrong but I dont think that he can maintain the level of performance - but I also dont think that Butcher would allow it to drift into dangerousness.

I don't really see Barrowman or Hastings getting back into the team in the near future and to be perfectly honest neither deserve it. Lionel may not be the sharpest tool in the box but he put's in way more effort than Hastings and has shown he does have what it takes at SPL level. I only he hope he can maintain it.

Barrowman is not an SPL player atm and i can only hope i'am proved wrong but with the likes of Odhiambo and Rooney now scoring i really don't see Andy getting back in the team.

Edited by ajsict92

Frankly, in what I've seen of Lionel, plus what I've read on here, he seems a lot safer than his opposite number at right back! I don't see many people asking when Tokeley is going 'to make a big mistake'? I think that is just as likely. He has been a great servant for us over the years, but if I were Butcher, I'd be looking for a right back. We're pretty well covered on the left now with Zadi, Hastings and McBain all after the same berth, but it seems we only have Tokeley and Proctor on the right, neither of whom are top drawer any more.

Frankly, in what I've seen of Lionel, plus what I've read on here, he seems a lot safer than his opposite number at right back! I don't see many people asking when Tokeley is going 'to make a big mistake'? I think that is just as likely. He has been a great servant for us over the years, but if I were Butcher, I'd be looking for a right back. We're pretty well covered on the left now with Zadi, Hastings and McBain all after the same berth, but it seems we only have Tokeley and Proctor on the right, neither of whom are top drawer any more.

fair comment but I think Tokely has no real competition for right back