FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Options If Of Move To England

Ever from post #21, this topic starts getting intresting :rotflmao:

I would have thought you were a Rangers supporter if you had not said you werent.

While i think it's a fabulous idea and would give the rest of the teams in Scotland a great chance of success cup-wise i think the novelty would wear off soon enough and bizarrely enough the old firm would perhaps be missed. Although i don't think i would miss them personally.

Financially we would suffer as well as most of our telivised games are against the old firm so there'd be a slight profit loss as well.

Really don't see this going anywhere further in the near future though tbh.

Edited by ajsict92

Ever from post #21, this topic starts getting intresting :rotflmao:

I would have thought you were a Rangers supporter if you had not said you werent.

Um...no...Inverness (hence posting regularly here and having the category of 'First Team' under my handle). St Mirren before that. ICT's very first game? Friendly with Saint Mirren. So from the very off, my old team was dropped.

As for a British league, that would benefit both Rangers AND Celtic, and in my opinion, at least one Edinburgh team, probably Aberdeen and maybe a Dundee.

As for Britain and Scotland:

In athletics, I want Scotland to win in the Commonwealth Games and Britain in the Olympics.

In rugby, I want Scotland to win in the World Cup and the British Lions to win in the tours.

Be pretty strange otherwise surely? :thumb04:

I'd be happy enough with either Scotland or Britain competing for the World Cup. If, in some twisted world, everyone is either Rangers or Celtic, then not wanting a British team then surely makes you a Celtic fan? Or maybe, like me, I have no interest in either of the OF and can think for myself?

But, it's just sport. I'm not a raging nationalist or unionist (if you really want to know, a federalist and an internationalist). I also support Canada (my birthplace) and Egypt (through my wife). It's football, not politics.

Oh and from Pie & Bovril, my first accusation came as:

"You'll also have all the bluenoses on your case for being a closet Celtic fan"

and from my blog:

"I'm a supporter of Inverness Caledonian Thistle first and foremost. I support all the Scottish clubs in Europe. I am not a closet supporter of either Rangers or Celtic (I await my first accusation!) or any other team for that matter."

Pretty strange being accused of being a Rangers supporter on another team's website. Wonder if this happens at other clubs?

Who says everyone on here is a ict supporter? There are people that have Falkirk accounts on here. I have a Dunfermline Althletic account. That doesn't make me a dunfermline supporter!

Guest Muir-Jaggie

I have a Dunfermline Althletic account. That doesn't make me a dunfermline supporter!

Why???

Other fans only come on this forum to see what our fans are talking about if theres a game coming up against each other and if theres transfer talk involving both clubs

dafc website is the best iv seen for general topics. It may not be the best forum, but the topics are :rotflmao: :thumb04: :018: ;) :lol:

and plus i was asked to join it, so why not :015:

Getting back on topic...........................like them or loathe them the OF are what brings money to Scottish football. Between them they have more support than all the rest of the SPL put together. It is because of them, their support and the publicity they can generate that companies like Clydesdale Bank and Setanta have put so much cash into the league over the last few years. They go and the money goes too.

Competition wise it would be great if the OF left for southern climes. Cash wise it would be detrimental to the rest. Just look at the difficulties the SFL have in finding funding.

If the terrible twins took off to the Premiership could anyone really see a city the size of Glasgow without an SPL team. Wouldn't it be quite something for Scottish football if Glasgow could produce a brand new team without any of the dreadful baggage that Celtic and Rangers bring to the table. Just a thought.

could anyone really see a city the size of Glasgow without an SPL team.

Partick Thistle, i predict they will be up next season (unless we are there) :rotflmao:

Hang on a second....

Setanta - Maybe this is a daft thought but are they actually big enough to compete with the likes of Sky to win TV coverage of the English Premier League? I doubt it. If they can't get TV rights to the EPL then what football are they going to show? SPL anyone? Sure, it will be less money but can we really not survive without the same amount?

There is a lively debate on this in the comments under Chic Young's blog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chickyoung/2009...ould_be_ru.html

Plenty of English fans displaying their lack of knowledge about the actual size of the Ugly Sisters and the Scottish game in general.

Chic's blog is all doom and gloom but I agree with Scotty in that it could be an excellent thing for Scottish Football. We could have a 16 team league minus the Old Squirm. With the first division table as it stands today, that would mean the inclusion of St Johnstone, Partick, Morton, Dundee, Livingston and Dunfermline. Partick might start pulling in more of the less fanatical Old Firm fans who can't afford to make the away trips for EPL matches.

There would be a return of the Renfrewshire and Dundee derbies to league competition, and even the Highland derby if County get their act together. All these teams would have something to play for and the interest in Scottish football would be kept alive by people who actually matter... us.

I personally don't give a tiny rat's @ss what the rest of the world thinks about our league. All I care about is that it is competitive and has the values of the fans instilled within it.

Hang on a second....

Setanta - Maybe this is a daft thought but are they actually big enough to compete with the likes of Sky to win TV coverage of the English Premier League? I doubt it. If they can't get TV rights to the EPL then what football are they going to show? SPL anyone? Sure, it will be less money but can we really not survive without the same amount?

Plenty of English fans displaying their lack of knowledge about the actual size of the Ugly Sisters and the Scottish game in general.

Chic's blog is all doom and gloom but I agree with Scotty in that it could be an excellent thing for Scottish Football. We could have a 16 team league minus the Old Squirm. With the first division table as it stands today, that would mean the inclusion of St Johnstone, Partick, Morton, Dundee, Livingston and Dunfermline. Partick might start pulling in more of the less fanatical Old Firm fans who can't afford to make the away trips for EPL matches.

There would be a return of the Renfrewshire and Dundee derbies to league competition, and even the Highland derby if County get their act together. All these teams would have something to play for and the interest in Scottish football would be kept alive by people who actually matter... us.

I personally don't give a tiny rat's @ss what the rest of the world thinks about our league. All I care about is that it is competitive and has the values of the fans instilled within it.

Spot on!!

Hang on a second....

A lot of good points on this thread. If the OF went, it would certainly tip the apples out of the cart in many ways. I also think the league would benefit. The OF bring money into the OF primarily, any distributed income is purely by accident as we have seen with the 5% ticket fee nonsense. I think local crowd would increase, with the chance of their team actually winning something. Wages would stabilise, and players ambitions would beceome more realistic. The national team would see very little difference, except maybe less drinking :rotflmao: As for Glasgow, I predict that Particks support and status would swell enormously. The SPL would become more democratic and, hopefully accountable and take the SFA with it. Who knows refereeing standards might even improve!

This is pure conjecture of course as it will never happen. Rangers fans blotted the copybook for both sides with the Manchester debacle. This disgusted Joe English who has not seen that kind of behaviour from football fans on British soil for a long time.

As a PS isn't it great how "the OF" is seen as a monolith in business terms. They will never make a business decision independently, showing to these eyes at least, how interdependent they are, and how this talk of rivalry only goes as far as the football field. Bigotry is good for business, (another reason they are alien to the English layman), and no amount of Saturday stabbings will change that.

could anyone really see a city the size of Glasgow without an SPL team.

Partick Thistle, i predict they will be up next season (unless we are there) :rotflmao:

They're quite easy to forget about aren't they?

:thumb04: yes, but i was on msn to 2 partick thistle fan at the time (half of there fans), thats the only reason i remembered. Just checking out the opposition :018: joke.

Hypothetically lets say the OF are admitted to the two tier EFL this summer leaving a 12 team SPL with the two leading teams in the 1st being promoted to the SPL.

What are ICT's movements?!

I suggest this would be the best time ICT will ever have to win a Scottish league trophy, since most of the other teams left here in Scotland are so evenly matched. This would, however require hefty investment.

Thoughts please!

Considering we are fighting relegation at the other end of the table, i doubt very highly of it.

That saying though, i look forward to enxt season, having a full year under Terry Butcher. Onwards and upwards i reckon....i would like to think top 6 the way we have been going and will continue to do so.

I don't know exactly how it would work out for the remaining SPL in the long term if this did happen (personally I think it's unlikely as the majority of English clubs are apparently opposed, and there is an issue about whether or not the OF clubs would remain elegible for European competition), but in the short term at least I suspect it would be bad for all the Scottish clubs financially - they would lose out on the gate money from OF games and the money TV companies would be prepared to pay for the rights to games would probably be drastically reduced. Increased investment would likely be difficult for those reasons

I agree though, that we'd have a much better chance of a major trophy, and I wouldn't miss the trips to Ibrox and Celtic Park much, despite having seen wins at both.

I also doubt it will happen but even more doubtful is heavy investment when the OF are no longer in the SPL. It may be a closer league but the money will be substantially less. I know some people will say the OF take care of themselves but ask any club in the First, whether they would relish the chance to play the OF more. Like it or not (not) they do bring in all the money.

(but it still might be good for Scottish football - could it get much worse?)

If you compare the OF teams with that of Birmingham, Reading & Wolves in the Championship and the teams trying to avoid the drop in the Premiership i dont think the OF are better than them.

They wouldnt get near the european places for a long long time if ever.

I think it would also be beneficial to the SPL but the richer clubs e.g Aberdeen & Hibs would have to spend lots to make sure they put on a decent showing in Europe to try and keep our spots alive.

But i doubt it will happen

As for how well they would do I tink people over rate the engligh leagues and under rate the Scottish leagues. Reading, wovles etc would never do well in the champions league and make the latter stages or reach a uefa cup final. Rangers and Celtic would both do well in england I think.

As for what it would do to our game i think it would kill it and make our league comparable to the irish league. Im sure the irish league is competative but i wouldnt know as it is a nothing league with a terrible co-efficient and teams out at first round of uefa every year etc. I dont want our league to be of the same standard as that. Also other teams such as Hearts and Aberdeen could also follow suit and could hold their own in the priemership. maybe not with the current squads they have but with increased television revenue they could. Bigger populations than teams such as blackburn middlesbrough and bolton and the crowds of these teams are poor sometimes.

This is also more of a threat than team GB at the olympics and would lead to a realistic chance of a uk team and doing away with Scotland which I would never want to even think about. For that reason I hope this never ever happens.

As for how well they would do I tink people over rate the engligh leagues and under rate the Scottish leagues. Reading, wovles etc would never do well in the champions league and make the latter stages or reach a uefa cup final. Rangers and Celtic would both do well in england I think.

As for what it would do to our game i think it would kill it and make our league comparable to the irish league. Im sure the irish league is competative but i wouldnt know as it is a nothing league with a terrible co-efficient and teams out at first round of uefa every year etc. I dont want our league to be of the same standard as that. Also other teams such as Hearts and Aberdeen could also follow suit and could hold their own in the priemership. maybe not with the current squads they have but with increased television revenue they could. Bigger populations than teams such as blackburn middlesbrough and bolton and the crowds of these teams are poor sometimes.

This is also more of a threat than team GB at the olympics and would lead to a realistic chance of a uk team and doing away with Scotland which I would never want to even think about. For that reason I hope this never ever happens.

Di maggio, you've brought me back down to earth. Thats a sober and realistic view of things. Eirecom league, no thanks!

If you took the big three out of Holland and Portugal, what would happen there? League of Wales material? Should probably leave the biggest famous clubs where they are........