FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Gibson or Fender ?

Glen Mhor

Which is the best electric guitar ?

Everybody has their favourite - is it the Gibson Les Paul as used by Jimmy Page, Slash, Gary Moore, Peter Frampton, Joe Bonamassa or the Fender Stratocaster as favoured by Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dave Gilmour ?

:025:

Having played both guitars over the years, and am not talking cheap ones, am talking the properthings, inexcess of ?2000 a pop, i would say...the Gibson is the nicer sounding Guitar. Far nicer tone about it, better looking machines too. Also...probably a bit more comfortable/easier to play

Think the whole thing is pretty subjective and it's more a case of horses for courses.I personnaly prefer the sound of Strats as a generalisation but the Gibson is undoubtedly a fantatic geetar

( I only own a cheap and cheerful Squire Strat and keep promising myself i'll purchase a genuine Fender when my playing justifies it, so it may take a while)

See.....now Dee.....youve touched on a point there. U shouldnt wait till your playing merits buying a good guitar. You should buy one and it will MAKE you want to play, and will make you a better player too. I had been strumming guitars since 1977. never had a proper good one. (took up playing bass in 80s). Was losing heart with it, so i invested in a 1972 Fender Precision bass....and it made me wanna play the more. Its a joy to play.

I don't play, but both my sons can get a tune out of their guitars. crusher has US Fender lead guitar and a Fender Jazz Bass.

Young zogg prefers his fender copy (squire)........how odd.

But, I am the daddy.............I bought a Les Paul Gibson, with 50's style neck in beautiful mahogany sunburst, stunning looking machine. I just look at it and purr.

:025:

It certainly deserves better.

I like the raw sound of the Gibson, although it depends who is playing the guitars. For instance, Rory Gallagher was just superb as was SRV. Horses for course, they both have their merits.

You may just have a point there SMEE.I was "sent" for guitar lessons when i was a kid and while i wanted to learn Led Zep on a flying V I was taught Kumbaya on a steel string acoustic with a neck like a Cricket bat and an action that demanded blood from yer fingers to hold down a chord,hence i lost interest for many years and only about 3 years ago took it up again semi seriously,went for lessons and bought the Squire which is a lovely machine to play without the expense of the real thing but may just treat myself to something a bit more up market and see if it inspires me further !

The wifes gonna lone you!!

Ah....the Gibson flying V. I have actually played a proper one (in a fantastic, if short lived music shop, Inverness Briefly had about 20 yrs ago, called R&B Music) They two guys in there were fabulous guys. I was their first paying customer, got to know them, and they would always let me mess about on things in there and make me coffee etc. Great days!!

Anyhoo....the Flying V.....it was the easiest guitar to play EVER. The action was amazing. You could almost blow on the strings and that would hold them down...but it had clarity etc all the way up the fret board. Effortless springs to mind!

Honestly Dee.....if anyone now asks my opinion about buying a guitar, i tell them to save up the extra cash and buy a good guitar, it makes all the difference between wanting to play and not

Be a Devil Dee....do it do it do it. there are far worse things you could be squandering your cash on!

I would love to replace my Fender acoustic and get my hands on a nice Gibson acoustic guitar, but that would cost over ?2000 :wacko:

Edited by SMEE

I don't play, but both my sons can get a tune out of their guitars. crusher has US Fender lead guitar and a Fender Jazz Bass.

But, I am the daddy.............I bought a Les Paul Gibson, with 50's style neck in beautiful mahogany sunburst, stunning looking machine. I just look at it and purr.

Did you know your sons would grow up to be rock stars when you called them Crusher and Zogg?

In answer to the original question, I think it depends on the type of music being played.

It's got to be a Gibson for anything bluesy. The tone and sustain are brilliant. Fenders are better for pop/indie and for metal of the shredding kind.

Did you know your sons would grow up to be rock stars when you called them Crusher and Zogg?

No.. he wanted them to be wrestlers or debt collectors

Tough one. Two completely different guitars.

My all time favourite guitar is the Telecaster, now have 5 of them, 3 of which i have built. Just so simple - simple contours, simple electronics, so easy and it does and sound how you ask it to.

You can hide behind a Les Paul to cover your mistakes, but with a Tele, it plays out exactly what you play.