FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Famous people you have met

Yngwie

The thread running about famous Scots got me thinking, there are no doubt many people here who have met celebrities, musicians, sportsmen, politicians, royalty and so on.

So who is the most famous person you have met* and what were they like?

* "Met" is defined as you having been in the physical presence of that person, and exchanged some conversation with them. ICT players are excluded because they're just too easy.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dominic Diamond - An absolute legend of a guy who knows his music very well. Met him a few times as he used to come into the venue where I worked to see bands.

Hugh Grant - A nice guy when there is no one around, who morphs into a ***** when there are cameras. Met him on a golf course.

Tommy Burns - One of THE nicest people I have ever met. He was well grounded, with a fantastic love for football (his knowledge and appreciation of ICT amazed me) and he was always up for a laugh. The game is much worse without him.

Martin O'Neill - Friendly, bouncy, hyper. Took time out from his schedule to have a wee chat and a photograph.

Gary Newman - The guy is one of the nicest people I have met from the music industry. He dotes on his child(ren??) and is appreciative of the fame he has been given.

The Automatic - Complete pricks.

Alex Salmond - I do not like him.

Charles Kennedy - A really nice guy who made some mistakes. Campaigns hard for Students of Glasgow.

Maurice Malpas who is a really nice guy.

Artur Boruc was a real, quality guy if you can understand his english. And he isnt as loud and doesnt show off as you may think

Neil Lennon is funny as Feck!

David James is nice also. Really does know alot about football

John Rankin was VERY nice towards my granny and even offered to carry her shopping! But she said i was capible :lol:

Myself

Elaine C Smith

Allan McGregor

Ian Black

John Rankin

Stephen McManus

All of Dunfermline Althletics team at the end of last season

Markus Paathelineen

Some guy from Taggart

Charlie Christie

Leon Collins :lol:

Richie Hart

included EX-ICT players in because it doesnt mention anything about them :lol:

Edited by caleymad

In my previous job, famous people I met included:

Billy McNeill, John Greig, Archie Gemmill, Paul McStay, John Hartson, Nacho Novo, Iain Banks, Ian Rankin, Christopher Brookmyre, June Whitfield, Karen Dunbar, Carol Smillie, Kirsty Wark, Donald Finlay, Paul Ferris, Davina McCall and Jordan.

Can you guess what I did?

Billy McNeill, John Greig, Archie Gemmill, Paul McStay, John Hartson, Nacho Novo, Iain Banks, Ian Rankin, Christopher Brookmyre, June Whitfield, Karen Dunbar, Carol Smillie, Kirsty Wark, Donald Finlay, Paul Ferris, Davina McCall and Jordan.

Pedo? Stalker? Hitman? Security Guard? Body guard?

Worked in a bookshop?

Pedo? Stalker? Hitman? Security Guard? Body guard?

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

Worked in a bookshop?

Curses. Rumbled. I was going to say 'Fluffer' and see if anyone believed me...

Didn't really anticipate that side of the business when I took the job, though. Most of them were promoting or signing books. One or two were just customers that I got speaking to.

My most famous has to be Gordon Brown, 3 times. The best has been mentioned on here before, but I was a guest of Raith Rovers when Brown turned up in the board room, accompanied by bodyguards and by Jim Traynor of all people, who had been asked to write an article portraying the dour and unpopular PM as a normal football loving bloke. He's too serious and intellectual to be normal, but he genuinely loves football (Rovers and Scotland).

I found myself sat with them during the game, and when Steve Hislop came on to make his Rovers debut, I gave the PM a full appraisal of Hissy's (lack of) abilities. When I said "His career's been going downhill for years and he doesn't score many goals", quick as a flash Brown replied "He'll fit in well here then" and went up in my estimation. As it turned out Hissy sclaffed one in from 2 yards.

The centrepiece of Traynor's article was a close up photo in the main stand, of me sitting next to some scruffy bloke with bad dandruff.

we restricted to Scots?

Paul Dickov

Paul Ritchie...both ex-Man City players

Gavin Hamilton...Cricket captain, used to play football with him

Fish..ex-Marillion front man.....a great bloke, spent hours in the pub in Bradford after a show just chatting

Sandy Gall...ex-newsreader from years ago and is also my uncle !

Eddie Gray & Peter Lorimar...at Lorimar's pub in Leeds

Jim Kerr

Fish..ex-Marillion front man.....a great bloke, spent hours in the pub in Bradford after a show just chatting

Now you're reminding me of my days hanging around backstage doors and sneaking into dressing rooms! The only time I got a friendly reception was from Fish about 20 years ago, who sat me down and gave me loads of beer. Great bloke. Met him again at an airport luggage carousel recently!

Arguably the most famous rocker I met this way was Tommy Lee, Pamela Anderson's ex. This was for Motley Crue around 1988, and this was when Terry Butcher was stood right behind me at the gig.

I chased after loads of complete nobodies too, but they meant a lot to me at the time. Including Yngwie Malmsteen!

Edited by Yngwie

I knew that Fish before he was famous.

Also had dinner with Charlie Kennedy one night and later he was the only sober one :021: ;) :lol: so he drove out to get us when our car broke down going home down the A9.

Also used to know Gary Naysmith, Gary Locke, Stephen Whittaker ..................Tom Hendrie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Terry Christie (bit of a tool). A few random rock stars after gigs. Met Rob Wainright in Coll. Brian Wilson who has a house in Lewis, and Dougie Maclean.

Met the whole ICT squad at a Saw Doctors gig in Lewis, and most of them are ex-ICT now so they maybe count :023:

Had that Baz Wilson and Charlie Christie in the back of my car once (oo-er missus) as well as that Ross Tokely.

Edited by The Mantis

I played a round of golf at Nairn Dunbar with Brian Jacks, Olympic Judo bronze medalist in Munich 1972. He then went on to become British and European Superstar winner.

He beat me by one hole, he loved golf and played it all the time...........I had not played for a while.

david prowse

lucy lu (sp?)

tom selleck

mo johnston

sarah vandenburg or something?? tidy bird off off neighbours past

mohammed al fayed

hazel irvine

willie millar

alex mcleish

alessandro del piero

I like that list. Sarah Vandenburgh was Lou Carpenter's daughter in case anyone's wondering. She was very sexy if a little chubby.

The nicest famous person i've ever met was Bob Crampsey. I was only 13 and was genuinely touched by his warmth and curiosity. Gordon Strachan, Gordon Smith and Stuart Cosgrove were all considerably less humble.

For those of a certain age (perhaps even older than The Mantis) the most famous person i've ever met is "The Golden Vision" himself, Alex Young. I had never heard of him when he came into hospital following a stroke but he assured me that he was of very few footballers to have won League and Cup in Scotland and England.