FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ayr game on/off thread

caley100

Its been snowing most of the day and the roads are awful, I'm expecting this game to be called off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8536970.stm

A9 closed, snow gates shut overnight tonight, trains disrupted...no chance of game going ahead.

Game will be on conditions are due to get better tomorrow, allowing for Ayr to travel up!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can update you on the situation as I saw for myself it at 2pm today at the Stadium.

As far as I am aware the undesoil heating is ON. There was NO snow on the pitch and very little surrounding the stadium. However there were significant areas of the pitch with water lying on them. The feeling is that this will drain away quickly if the USH does its job and defrosts the surface. It is also worth noting that underlying temperatures are about 5-8 degrees warmer (OK... less cold) than they were last weekend. Tommy is once again putting a power of work into that pitch and getting it playable. I am not aware of any plan having been made about when to say yes or no but Thursday would be extremely early for a decision about a decision. Tomorrow should bring more clarity.

HOWEVER if the A9 remains in its recent chaotic state, that could emerge as the biggest threat to the game.

I would have to say I endorse Doofersdad's criticism of the 5 day forecast which I believe the BBC simply get from the Met Office. It is disastrously inaccurate. Over New Year I did an analysis of what they were saying about various days during the 5 preceding days. The variation through these 5 days in what they were predicting for, say, January 4th, was incredible and often way different from what ultimately transpired. For instance it is quite capable of ranging from predicting heavy snow to bright sunshine and what you get on the day is thick cloud. Similarly temperature predictions of -6 to +4 typically end up at zero. You really have to wonder if it is worth making forecasts like that public if that is the current capability of meteorological science and they so signally fail to predict what the weather is actually going to be like. I know that Tommy gets extremely annoyed about the unreliability of these forecasts in a situation where he needs accuracy.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Add to that is that the council roads dept use this to predict icy roads and salt distribution, so many times i have seen gritter lorries out doing there stuff when its raining/never going to freeze.

Its stopped snowing the noo, and getting quite slushy.. please dry out!

I can update you on the situation as I saw for myself it at 2pm today at the Stadium.

As far as I am aware the undesoil heating is ON. There was NO snow on the pitch and very little surrounding the stadium. However there were significant areas of the pitch with water lying on them. The feeling is that this will drain away quickly if the USH does its job and defrosts the surface. It is also worth noting that underlying temperatures are about 5-8 degrees warmer (OK... less cold) than they were last weekend. Tommy is once again putting a power of work into that pitch and getting it playable. I am not aware of any plan having been made about when to say yes or no but Thursday would be extremely early for a decision about a decision. Tomorrow should bring more clarity.

HOWEVER if the A9 remains in its recent chaotic state, that could emerge as the biggest threat to the game.

I would have to say I endorse Doofersdad's criticism of the 5 day forecast which I believe the BBC simply get from the Met Office. It is disastrously inaccurate. Over New Year I did an analysis of what they were saying about various days during the 5 preceding days. The variation through these 5 days in what they were predicting for, say, January 4th, was incredible and often way different from what ultimately transpired. For instance it is quite capable of ranging from predicting heavy snow to bright sunshine and what you get on the day is thick cloud. Similarly temperature predictions of -6 to +4 typically end up at zero. You really have to wonder if it is worth making forecasts like that public if that is the current capability of meteorological science and they so signally fail to predict what the weather is actually going to be like. I know that Tommy gets extremely annoyed about the unreliability of these forecasts in a situation where he needs accuracy.

Sounds promising for Saturday, they cant call the game off because the A9 is blocked, theres always the A96. thats my plan b tomorrow as im on the wrong side of the A9 the now.

I was due to take some clients to Glasgow this afternoon and could find no way between here and there.

I was about to set off when the A9 closed at Dalwhinnie...plan B, Fort Bill. Ready to go again and the A82 gets closed...plan C, A96....not worth the risk, even if I made it down, the chances of me making it back were very slim going by advice of the police.

Still a bit of time between now and then, but I expect that if weather has cleared up by tomorrow evening then the police will advise that the game is called off.

Charles, the BBC seem to be using an observation station at Aviemore for the 5-day forecast for the Inverness area, at least that's what the website says. No wonder it's inaccurate...Aviemore is between 23 and 30 miles from Sneck depending on whether you are a crow or a vehicle driver, and much higher too.

Edited by Caley

Not looking good at the moment...

Travel - As it stands now:

Rail -

Route affected - Glasgow Queen Street / Edinburgh, Stirling, Dunblane, Gleneagles, Perth, Pitlochry, Blair Atholl, Newtonmore, Aviemore, Carrbridge and Inverness

Poor weather contitions are causing disruption in the North West of Scotland.

Because of this, trains between Perth and Inverness are suspended. Because of poor road conditions, no replacement bus services are available.

There is currently no estimate available for when the line will reopen.

ScotRail are advising customers not to attempt to travel on this route. Customers travelling between Perth and Inverness should use alternative services via Aberdeen.

To find out how this might affect your journey, please use the real time Journey Planner, or call TrainTracker on 0871 200 49 50.

Road -

post-8-1267175270.jpg

post-8-1267175284.jpg

Edited by Gringo

No way will Ayr United be travelling up here today, given the forecasts....

Looks very much like another Saturday afternoon with no footie... :(

Says in the P&J that Ayr are travelling up on Saturday morning so hopefully the weather improves between now & then

At this moment the A9 is still closed. A82 and A96 have re-opened but could close again.

Like CD I was travelling yesterday. Trapped by A96 closure so down through Granton, made it just before that road closed, to Aviemore to find A9 closed. Turn north then down to Fort W to discover A82 closed at Glencoe. Head for Oban then on to Lochgilphead, Arrochar, Balloch to Stirling to find A9 closed between here and Perth. Head for Forth bridge then up to Perth. Eight hours for a two hour journey and scary in places.

At this moment the A9 is still closed. A82 and A96 have re-opened but could close again.

Like CD I was travelling yesterday. Trapped by A96 closure so down through Granton, made it just before that road closed, to Aviemore to find A9 closed. Turn north then down to Fort W to discover A82 closed at Glencoe. Head for Oban then on to Lochgilphead, Arrochar, Balloch to Stirling to find A9 closed between here and Perth. Head for Forth bridge then up to Perth. Eight hours for a two hour journey and scary in places.

If conditions don't improve will you coming back up tomorrow by that same route?

Set off about 7.00am, and you should just about make it.

:(

A9 looks better at the Slochd this morning than it did last night when I came over it!! However it was taking two ploughs line of stern to clear the drifts at Moy, wind has picked up further in Inverness and I gather that's where the real problems are this morning and as the frontal system starts to slide South so will the stronger winds in all probability adding to problems around Strathspey down towards Drumochter.

No way will Ayr United be travelling up here today, given the forecasts....

Looks very much like another Saturday afternoon with no footie... :(

Says in the P&J that Ayr are travelling up on Saturday morning so hopefully the weather improves between now & then

Ayr United team bus is scheduled to leave at 2.45pm today.

Well.. not counting chickens, but its clearing up, i even saw the sun a minute ago! looks like its down to whether Ayr will make it here or not.

Do travelling fans count for postponments?