FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher and Malpas

Bridge_Ender

This is excellent news, With so many players out of contract next season we really needed someone in right NOW to start thinking about after the summer. Hopefully he can get a few of the top players to sign on for another season.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is great news. The club needs stability if there is to be a real possability of promotion this season or next. I think promotion is more realistic for next season if i an honest and if the club can get some of the plays on longer deals then i think things will be looking up for ICT

I'm not so sure about that, from what I gather, quite a few of the players don't like him.

Havent heard that particular rumour myself although I would be surprised if all of the players liked the manager as that would be a first for virtually any club, especially for those on the fringes who may not be getting a game and feel they should ....

From what you gather? so thats all just rumours then? I remember when the team were in a very bad spell, and got a win which i sure someone else will remember (think it was 4-1 over morton)

, where the team dedicated the win to Butcher...this proves to me he still has the dressing room. The guys that dont like him will be the guys who dont get a game, therefore its in their own hands to shine in training and get a place in the startin 11. Basically.

From what I gather, (again I can't prove it but I believe it is highly likely that it is true) is that it isn't just about selection - it's deeper and more personal than that.

Do you have a whole deck of those victim cards?

No, but maybe I should have.

Who knows Renegade, and this is not an insult, but a bit of positivity from you would be nice. I seriously have to question why you support ICT at times with some of the negative comments you make buit everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would never stop you from giving yours as that is what sparks healthy debate.

Well if you want some positivity I'll give you some - I agree to a degree with those who said that it's good to finally have some continuity. I agree, it's long overdue and IIRC ICT haven't really had a single manager for an entire season for quite a while (Off the top of my head I think CC in season 2006/07 was the last boss for ICT who lasted the run of the entire season). On the other aspects, I'm still at this point yet to be convinced by the managerial skills of Butcher and Malpas. I haven't really been inspired by either of them, the team still have a few lasting problems and continuing problems that should of and need to be sorted, and of the football in general, I agree at times it can be quite good, but the team still needs something to take them to the next level. From what I can see, Butcher and Malpas are not (yet) the people to do that.

Why do I support the team? Well simple, they're my local team and have always supported them, that's why I pay my money to go the games. To a certain degree, I'm still rather optimistic about things. Promotion is a possibility (albeit an outside one), but on the whole I believe the best is yet to come. It may not be under the current managerial team, or this or next season but I believe that the best we have had will be overtaken and the best days are still ahead.

Seems to be that, with the exception of the tactical genius which believes the Samoan rugby back seven would be the answer to our prayers, this news is very much welcomed.

And the personal insults begin. How nice.

Here's the thing though, who'll turn out to be right in the end? We shall see.

More of an observation than an insult Renegade. If you care to cast your mind back I have, on more than one occasion, defended you when real insults were aimed at you. I have reservations about the abilities of our management team too but looking at the whole picture I believe that this decision is a good one. Our team need stability at the moment and a few mistakes during the bedding in period need to be put aside considering the team is now showing signs that they are willing to fight for this league championship despite the earlier set backs, that can only be credited to the management.

If you are so keen to take offence perhaps you might be happier supporting a team in green and white hoops.

Okay, I suppose you have backed me up a couple of times, and that's good but there does seem to be a degree these days that if you disagree with the status quo, you must be wrong. (And thanks for the mention on P&B today :ohmy: ).

Edited by Renegade

Okay, I suppose you have backed me up a couple of times, and that's good but there does seem to be a degree these days that if you disagree with the status quo, you must be wrong. (And thanks for the mention on P&B today :ohmy: ).

Your comment about the status quo is hell of a wide of the mark given the level of anti board sentiment which is posted on these boards. As for the P&B mention it was more of a dig at the fact this seems to be Jailender's premier source of information which he takes great pride in repeating on P&B and trying to make himself look well informed, not really a dig at yourself mate.

Fantastic news. Just back from holiday and this piece of news makes up for the freezing weather. Lets get Foran and Hayes signed up now - more chance they will stay with Terry in charge.

Fantastic news. Just back from holiday and this piece of news makes up for the freezing weather. Lets get Foran and Hayes signed up now - more chance they will stay with Terry in charge.

I can see Hayes staying for another year. Not too sure about Foran though. Buuut this might be an incentive.

Butcher interview with Herr Bannerman.

I get the impression he had to go and ask for his contract.

Yes, I agree - it does sound like he sought an audience with the chairman rather than vice versa....

He can still talk such a good game too - you know, much better than, ehhhhhhhh, ehhhhhhhhhhh, Jimmy Calderwood, for instance.

I said before that I didn't think he was the man for the job and I am happy to admit I was wrong. He could have kept us in SPL but failed, the fact he stayed and has actively sought a new deal coupled with the recent form displayed shows his commitment and that he is still learning his trade (getting better). Another season and I think we'll be back in the SPL, I think Dundee will be too strong in the run in this season.

I said before that I didn't think he was the man for the job and I am happy to admit I was wrong. He could have kept us in SPL but failed, the fact he stayed and has actively sought a new deal coupled with the recent form displayed shows his commitment and that he is still learning his trade (getting better). Another season and I think we'll be back in the SPL, I think Dundee will be too strong in the run in this season.

That's a good post, PMF....

I have to admit I'm impressed by the fact he clearly wants to stay here, and clearly believes he can get us back into the SPL. I do agree he is still learning his trade, but hopefully ICT will reap the benefits when his apprenticeship is complete.

At the risk of upsetting Renegade, I would also add that MM's contribution to the ICT cause, should not be underestimated.

Thanks for the link to that interview CaleyStan. If they want to continue to live in one of the most beautiful places on Earth, why can't the club extend their contracts further to get some long term continuity? I agree with Terry's point about other teams dropping points. This league ain't over yet. :angry:

That's a good post, PMF....

I have to admit I'm impressed by the fact he clearly wants to stay here, and clearly believes he can get us back into the SPL. I do agree he is still learning his trade, but hopefully ICT will reap the benefits when his apprenticeship is complete.

At the risk of upsetting Renegade, I would also add that MM's contribution to the ICT cause, should not be underestimated.

From what I gather, Malpas as a coach or as an assistant is actually quite good. It's just when he his the main man, that he isn't quite so great.

I'm going to add this in as well, but has anyone else heard about the supposed scenario of what would've happened had TB and MM not stayed. The board was essentially in a win/win situation cause I've now heard from a few unrelated sources is that Robertson and Wilson was essentially agreed in principle and ready to go for next season. It makes me wonder if the board were taken by surprise that Butcher wanted to stay. :angry:

Gutted.

I'd love to see Butcher, Malpas and Foran booted out.

You missing them Andy? does it bore you that all your team mates are partaking in knife sharpening and peg crafting clubs when not training? I know you yearned from the city lights when you signed for us but your level of skill was sadly stuck in the second division, we would have loved to keep you along with Butcher and Mo but your 100k per week wages were not met with the improvement rate required to justify them. If you have a word with your buddy Craigy B I am sure he would take you along to one of his, outside work, clubs and I am positive he will take care of the taxi fares to and from the meeting spots.

This is an interesting one.

Delighted that at least there is some certainty, continuity, stability etc all things that are sadly lacking in Scottish football. Concerned that we face another season of "schoolboy" defending under the guidance of two hugely experienced international defenders of significant standing.

On balance, it is to their credit that they are willing to commit to another year. They have exceeded my expectations and deserve another shot. That said, I don't sense that there were many options.