FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Missing the SPL?

Renegade

No, not really but if we don't go up this season it was be a disaster for the club. You can tell just from the amount of cut backs, laying staff off, shop part time etc that the club are struggiling for money. Also with the amount of players we have out of contract if we didn't go up then we would lose most of our better players and would not be close to challenging next season. Then our financial situation would only get worse and I think we would be concined to the lower leagues for a good while or could even do what some other past relegated teams from the top league have done and drop another division. It's vital that we go back up this season then stay up next year!

I miss some aspects of it ... games against the biggest sides in the land, audio commentary of the full 90 minutes, video highlights (although we are now covered on that front), and the fact that when other TFC fans or work colleagues ask me about my team I can say, yes we play in the SPL, yes we have beaten Celtic/Rangers/Other

I dont miss the fact that we can never win it, or that some games - and the league in general - may not be as competitive as the SFL, nor do I miss the constant fear of relegation and being a perpetual bottom six team .....

I will however enjoy seeing us back in there if we can finish the season on top.

The biggest thing I will miss about the SFL is that I will go back to going to games thinking 'I hope we win' where as at the moment I am thinking 'I hope we don't lose'

A big difference.

I was gutted when we got relegated last season, and with guys like Black, Cowie and Mihadjuks moving on, I wasn't looking forward to Div 1. My fears were pretty well realised during the first half the season, but what's happened since then has been amazing. Guys like Foran and Hayes, and Rooney all coming good at the same time, have totally transformed things for us. I wasn't impressed either when Golabeck came in to replace Hastings, but I certainly got that one wrong - Golly's playing the best football of his career right now....

But.... I digress...

Yes, I'm looking forward to being back in the SPL and seeing teams like Hearts and Hibs again, but in terms of sheer enjoyment, and better value for money, I've really enjoyed this season in Div 1.

Season 2009/10 has also convinced me that league reconstruction should be under serious consideration right now.

I have sed before i kinda liked life in the lower leagues. ANd i have spoke to a number of fans this year who have sed how much they have all enjoyed this season. What we have to accept is that....while we wont really do much of any note in the SPL, that is what all the sucsess we have enjoyed has been in pursuit of. We will have acheived the main goal in Scottish football. Luckily....I have never been about sucsess....am just happy to be entertained. And hopefully, if we go up....considering its the top league, we should be treated to a higher level of entertinment ;)

Crazy suggestion here but are those who are enjoying it more doing so because we are winning games now?

Yes, partly that and the fact we have got ourselves into poll position.

I don't altogether agree with those who are saying we won't do anything in the SPL. With the attitude in our camp at the moment, and assuming the nucleous of the squad stays with us, I'll be very interested to see just how far we can go in the SPL.

Could be exciting times ahead.

A lot of these comments make it sound like we're arithmetically promoted already. We are potentially one draw away from a last day title decider. Lets save this talk for if/when we are actually promoted.

I have sed before i kinda liked life in the lower leagues. ANd i have spoke to a number of fans this year who have sed how much they have all enjoyed this season. What we have to accept is that....while we wont really do much of any note in the SPL, that is what all the sucsess we have enjoyed has been in pursuit of. We will have acheived the main goal in Scottish football. Luckily....I have never been about sucsess....am just happy to be entertained. And hopefully, if we go up....considering its the top league, we should be treated to a higher level of entertinment :D

Don't hold your breath, most if not all of Butcher's previous clubs have had one thing in common - the big old punt.

I'm with the majority here - I think we have had more fun this season than in the past 4 all due to the competitiveness of the league (and of course our mid-season turn of fortune where we now have the capability to win it!).

I also agree with Scotty - the biggest frustration has been the lack of commentary and the general dismissiveness of even the Scottish broadcasters of 1st division football. If it wasn't for the fact that Rangers have effectively won the SPL and it is all over bar the shouting, they wouldn't even be bothering to mention us here in the "lower leagues".

If it were up to me I would snub the OF league and just stay here in the First - and of course win it every year!!! :D

Like most posters, I agree that this season has been more entertaining than some in the SPL because this is a genuinely competative league and most of the teams do not come to defend unlike the SPL.

What is important, if we get promoted however, is that this time we make some progress in the next two to three years in building a team/infrastructure/fan base to enablle us to kick on in the development of ICT. After the first couple of years in the SPL the last time, I feel we stagnated and didn't move on as we should have. This cannot be allowed to happen but requires some ambition and vision by the board. Do they have this, only time will tell.

I miss it coz I never see any live matches with ICT any more. Loads of coverage of the SPL in the Middle East and North Africa (must be cheap). Probably more exciting to be challenging for a title than avoiding relegation. It has made me think if a 16 team SPL is the way forward. Wouldn't it just be reams of meaningless matches?

I miss it coz I never see any live matches with ICT any more. Loads of coverage of the SPL in the Middle East and North Africa (must be cheap). Probably more exciting to be challenging for a title than avoiding relegation. It has made me think if a 16 team SPL is the way forward. Wouldn't it just be reams of meaningless matches?

It was for that very reason that the Premier League was formed in 75/76. That could well happen again, although many 1st Division clubs would argue they would rather be in a "meaningless" SPL than a "competitive" 1st Division. One problem with reconstruction is that many SPL clubs outwith the OF don't want it. They would rather have the prospect of "extra" home matches with the OF and hence increased gate money. Add to that they would get less cash from Sky and ESPN, then you have a recipe for status quo.

Like most posters, I agree that this season has been more entertaining than some in the SPL because this is a genuinely competative league and most of the teams do not come to defend unlike the SPL.

What is important, if we get promoted however, is that this time we make some progress in the next two to three years in building a team/infrastructure/fan base to enablle us to kick on in the development of ICT. After the first couple of years in the SPL the last time, I feel we stagnated and didn't move on as we should have. This cannot be allowed to happen but requires some ambition and vision by the board. Do they have this, only time will tell.

It wouldn't be prudent to overspend which is what I think you are suggesting. Above all else the club must operate within its budget. The club really needs to develop sustainable revenue streams away from footballing matters so there is income all year round to support all the incentives you suggest.

I think a 16 team league would freshen things up a lot and I'd wager there would be quite a few shock results from the newly promoted teams. A reduced league is anti-competitive so to speak.

It was for that very reason that the Premier League was formed in 75/76. That could well happen again, although many 1st Division clubs would argue they would rather be in a "meaningless" SPL than a "competitive" 1st Division. One problem with reconstruction is that many SPL clubs outwith the OF don't want it. They would rather have the prospect of "extra" home matches with the OF and hence increased gate money. Add to that they would get less cash from Sky and ESPN, then you have a recipe for status quo.

But, not many people like Status Quo!!!!

No chance am i missing the SPL, only some aspects of it. After experiencing every league in Scotland the first division is far better than the rest. I really hope the SPL expands over the next 2 years to make it more interesting.

Pro's of the SPL

TV, Media and Radio coverage in the SPL was excellent

There are more SPL clubs near to me than in the first division (even more so next year if Morton/Ayr or Airdrie go down.

The slim chance of gaining top 6 can be exciting.

The relegation battles are always exciting but i wouldn't want that to happen....

We can attract higher quality players to Inverness.

Con's of the SPL

Ticket prices will be dramatically increased as well as food and drink at games.

Our players are always in the spotlight and are very likely to be stolen.

The atmosphere at SPL games never have the same feeling as that of the smaller grounds.

Cup games will no longer be our (big day out) I loved going to see Motherwell and Killie this season. Last season it just felt like a regular match.

Adam Rooney and Co won't be tearing up defences like they are just now.

Edited by ICTPAISLEY

I have always loved the competitveness of the 1st Div especially as its the hardest division to get out of but love the fact that SPL games get more coverage here in Oz and therefore I actually sometimes get to see ICT play.