FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT fan dies on Everest

Drochit Blue

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Kinloch continued his attempt in the Seven Peaks Challenge by again wearing his Caley Thistle cap on his Everest climb. This was his fifth successful attempt of this enthusiastic fan. Unfortunately, he became ill after reaching the summit and he and his Caley cap remain on top of the world.

The guys that left him should be ashamed :rolleyes:

I realise that in these sad circumstances, this may not be the place to start an argument, but that remark, no doubt made by someone who knows absolutely nothing about the circumstances, is stupid in the extreme.

I'm sorry but you also know nothing of what happened so your comment is just as 'stupid'.

I hope they tried everything but that article doesn't provide any clarity on the situation and sounds completely barbaric. He was left to freeze, blind, scared, alone and alive on Mount Everest and not one quote to suggest he wanted to be left there.

I hope for Peter's sake that the situation was as ammicable as CMIB suggests but I can't help but think how horrible that his death must have been.

RIP..

R.I.P :D

The guys that left him should be ashamed :rolleyes:

It's an extremely sad story. We can perhaps take comfort in the fact, as his family is, in that he achieved one of his life goals in reaching the highest point on Earth.

To the above point, mountains such as Everest are notoriously difficult to attempt any sort of rescue. It has to be remembered that this is the Himilayas - hundreds of miles away from any civilisation. There are no helicopters and it is near impossible to stretcher or carry someone down. Once someone becomes immobilised they have, sadly, little chance of survival. The death point, where they as it states in the article, is so called because quite simply that is the main area which claims so many lives, many on the decent like in this case.

I find it rash to criticise his fellow climbers and the local Sherpas as they would have had little choice but to leave him or become stuck and probably die themselves. I can imagine it would have been done very reluctantly as most climbers are very loyal and would only do so if there was no other choice. Also where it is not stated in this article, but in others (metro paper), of his fellow climbers many returned to camp suffering from frostbite and hypothermia. It's tragic and someone very frank but had they stayed they too would have likely perished, which I very much doubt, even, i stress, without knowing him, he would want.

This Scotsman report gives a little more information on the conditions he and his team would have endured.

R.I.P

Edited by iamthecaptain1

Not much else to say that hasn't already, such a shame and I just feel for his family. Big thumbs up to the folk that tried to help him though, 12 hours of it and returning in a state of exhaustion and with frostbtie suggests they'd have done all they could possibly have done. Obviously that will be no consolation to thef amily, very sad times. RIP.

My condolences to his family, may he rest in peace poor laddie. Others, please don't prejudge this situation - it is completely outwith your experience. If someone gets blind and unco-ordinated above 8000 meters, they almost certainly have high altitude cerebral oedema and are effectively unsaveable. To quote your rescue chances from Rob Hall, who summitted Everst 6 or so times, "you might as well be on the dark side of the moon" He's still up there as well, having died in 1996. If climbers try to stay with someone too long at that height, you just end up with more corpses. BTW, I climbed for 25 years or so - I know what I'm on about for once.

This is a very sad tragedy and, unfortunately, the British press have chosen to write their reports with a cruel slant to the story.

The companions and Sherpa's would have tried all they could to bring Peter down. That high up with wind chill factors, probably, in the minus 40's it is extremely hard work just getting ones self moving let alone helping someone else. Helicopters cant go that high. Rescue teams dont make the attempt. Those who have died in these mountains are still there. Other than the extremes of temperature theres also the lack of oxygen to contend with.

These guys did not leave Peter to die. They knew that, had they continued to try a rescue, they would all likely have succumbed.

I know what its like when conditions get bad in Scottish mountains. I've witnessed the effects of hypothermia. Our highest mountains are a bit over 4000 feet. Everest over 29000. I cant imagine what conditions would be like that high up.

The mountains were Peters life. The mountains took Peters life. You made the choice. You knew the risk. RIP

Sincerest condolences to his family.

I've always had huge admiration, and been a bit envious, of people that take on huge physical challenges of endurance. If I had known there was someone like this amongst us I would have sought him out and bombarded him with questions and praise. MASSIVE respect for attempting this.

Rest In Peace

My condolences to his family, may he rest in peace poor laddie. Others, please don't prejudge this situation - it is completely outwith your experience. If someone gets blind and unco-ordinated above 8000 meters, they almost certainly have high altitude cerebral oedema and are effectively unsaveable. To quote your rescue chances from Rob Hall, who summitted Everst 6 or so times, "you might as well be on the dark side of the moon" He's still up there as well, having died in 1996. If climbers try to stay with someone too long at that height, you just end up with more corpses. BTW, I climbed for 25 years or so - I know what I'm on about for once.

As a member of the climbing fraternity myself- spot on Davie.

What a story.................but one we have all read before. So tragic for his family.

The rules of these high terrains were followed.............probably stretched, by the brave men that tried to save Peter.

Anyone who doesn't get it could do worse than watch "Touching the Void". This is an entertaining and gripping film and gives some insight into the choices that have sometimes to be made.

R I P

Condolences to his family. I read "Into thin air" by Jon Krakeur, and it discussed the very points being raised on this topic. It is an age old debate, but a futile one. If something goes wrong on Everest, there is very little that can be done. It's the nature of the beast. That said, I'm in awe of the man for achieving his dream, and also think the idea for some sort of club recognition is a good one.

Condolences to his family. I read "Into thin air" by Jon Krakeur, and it discussed the very points being raised on this topic. It is an age old debate, but a futile one. If something goes wrong on Everest, there is very little that can be done. It's the nature of the beast. That said, I'm in awe of the man for achieving his dream, and also think the idea for some sort of club recognition is a good one.

hear hear

Gringo Jr. Howabout doing a sponsored walk from TCS to the top of the nearest Munro in tribute. I seem to remember reading he was doing the Seven Summits for a specific charity. Would seem fitting.

10 quid from me...might even join you.

Gringo Jr. Howabout doing a sponsored walk from TCS to the top of the nearest Munro in tribute. I seem to remember reading he was doing the Seven Summits for a specific charity. Would seem fitting.

10 quid from me...might even join you.

i would be up for a charity walk...if i am home,failing that i might match your distance down here "inside" very sad story but somehow also filled me with hope,always impressive to see someone follow a dream like that