FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

CaleyJags sign 9 stars of tomorrow

Scotty

It was mentioned in another thread but is probably worthy of its own ..... ICT have signed up 9 youngsters, many of them local for their return to the SPL and to U19 football.

Article here: http://caleythistleonline.com/news/footbal...ars-of-tomorrow

post-2-1276540340_thumb.jpg

post-2-1276540347_thumb.jpg

Left to right -- Andrew Greig, Kyle Whyte, Liam Polworth. Tom Smith, Martin Laing, Robbie Donaldson, Adam MacLeod, Calum Dingwall, Jack Sutherland and Charlie Christie

This is the sort of thing I like to see the club doing and shows we're looking to the future.

Let's hope we see some of these lads playing for the first team in the SPL in the not-too-distant future!

Some of them look promising but that Christie lad on the left looks too wee for the professional game.

The best player in the world has been told this in the past.

Did I hear a whoosh?

Great to see the youngsters return to the club after a years absense.

It might just be the photo but that keeper look a little on the chunky side for a professional football player.

two words ........ Jimmy Calder !!!!

It might just be the photo but that keeper look a little on the chunky side for a professional football player.

Ok slim, I typed that then thought better of it. Jimmy didn't start off that size.

Full time training will benefit the lad.

Or Andy Goram?? :party01:

And old Roughie was never what could be called less than cuddly . . .

Its the ability of all nine players that counts, and these guys have bundles of it. Very productive age group for the youths, and every one of them has a more than decent chance. Think you will find each of them will make a living out of football hopefully. The two international werent even players of the year at the youth awards a few weeks ago!!!

More to come next year also

Or Andy Goram?? :party01:

And old Roughie was never what could be called less than cuddly . . .

Thats fair enough. Andy Goram was a great keeper, though Im too young and never really saw a great deal of Roughie but know he was fairly highly decorated and probably good too. Jim Calder is a legend for ICT but a 3rd/2nd division player in the stark reality of things. Had ability to go further but didn't so we can never know how far.

My point is these days, in 2010, you rarely see chunky keepers, even in the lower leagues. Brian Jensen being the obvious exception to the rule.

Jim Calder is a legend for ICT but a 3rd/2nd division player in the stark reality of things. Had ability to go further but didn't so we can never know how far.

My point is these days, in 2010, you rarely see chunky keepers, even in the lower leagues. Brian Jensen being the obvious exception to the rule.

I would argue that Jimmy is a victim of timing.

Had ICT been around in the senior leagues when he was a "young" keeper and put in performances such as we witnessed on a weekly basis against teams both big and small I am sure he would have gone a lot further.

Lets not forget that as a 'lower league keeper' he did keep both Nicky Walker (a former international) and Les Fridge (ex Chelsea and St Mirren in the top flight) out of the team !!!

Good luck to all these youngsters ... the only one I have heard of is Polworth, due to his publicity at getting into the Scotland Youth setup and also because we all pretty much know of his dad, but I am willing to listen to others that say they all have a good chance and hope they manage to grasp it with both hands (especially the keeper :party01:)

Jim Calder is a legend for ICT but a 3rd/2nd division player in the stark reality of things. Had ability to go further but didn't so we can never know how far.

Had ICT been around in the senior leagues when he was a "young" keeper and put in performances such as we witnessed on a weekly basis against teams both big and small I am sure he would have gone a lot further.

Lets not forget that as a 'lower league keeper' he did keep both Nicky Walker (a former international) and Les Fridge (ex Chelsea and St Mirren in the top flight) out of the team !!!

Good luck to all these youngsters ... the only one I have heard of is Polworth, due to his publicity at getting into the Scotland Youth setup and also because we all pretty much know of his dad, but I am willing to listen to others that say they all have a good chance and hope they manage to grasp it with both hands (especially the keeper :party01:)

Jimmy was never a "young" keeper, he was a young centre forward and Alan Rough was slim when he started out.

rough.jpg

HES a great keeper been at caley for a good few years,his brother was on loan at strathspey last 4 seasons from nairn

Another thread..............another mention of of the Speysiders.

I like to think CC has a good eye for decent youth players and has brought some promising talent to the club over the years. If those youngsters are reading this then bear in mind your future has started and is in your own hands from now on. Hard work and good attitude are the main attributes of success.

I'd like to point out Im not in any way getting at the ability of a kid I've never even heard of never mind seen play. My only point being that whilst having a large frame is often of use to a keeper it can affect mobility and agility. And even in saying that it could just be the picture.

Les Fridge was rubbish though!