FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Matchday Thread: ICT -V- Queens Park

Scotty

Job done. We never got out of second gear, but then we never really needed to, especially after the gift of a second goal.

I do hope we look a bit sharper at the back when we play Celtic though! At times Munro, Tokely and Golabek looked like they were moving in slow motion. Difficult to tell how bad the injuries to Innes and Munro are - Innes pulled a thigh muscle, while Munro I think had a gash on his foot...his sock was blood soaked as he went in at half-time.

Sanchez and Blumenshtein together? Not for me. One or the other, I think. Neither did anything to stand out.

MOM for me would be Lee Cox, who put in a superb shift to go with his goal.

Anyway, it's a definite improvement on the Montrose game from last season.

• Agree 1

What Johnboy said.

Also we looked relatively comfortable at the back despite a makeshift defence. Esson not having much to do but his handling was good. Munro looked solid before coming off. In attack I thought Ross played well, looking to take people on when he got on the ball, reminiscent of a young Jimmy Calder, and threaded a couple of nice passes through including the one for the opener. Had a couple of good link ups with McCann and Sanchez aswell. Rooney didn't have much of a look in, bar one half chance which he had to turn the defender and create for himself. Average performances from most others. Nothing outstanding but still got a comfortable win.

Esson - 7

McCann - 7

Golly - 6

Munro - 6

Tokely - 7

Ross - 8

Bluhmanshtein - 6

Cox - 8

Duncan - 7

Sanchez - 7

Rooney - 7

Subs: Innes - 3, McBain - 5, Odihambo - 7.5

HT Pie - 8

Blumanshtein was meant to take up some kind of a Foran role, a comment I read from TB somewhere. I'd much prefer to see the real thing on the park.

He did initially take up a wide left position, then moved to inside left, then seemed to go from there to left mid. He was equally innefective in all these positions.

A lesiurely game.

Game took a wee while to get going but we never really got put under great pressure. Coxy made a good run for his goal and deserved it. Odi will never score a more bizarre goal in his life. Keeper hit it straight off him and no one knew where the ball had landed and by the time they did it was in.

Rosscoes goal was a screamer. Almost identical to his strike at St Mirren Park a while back.

New players looked good today. McCann looks a fairly solid defender, however his crossing needs a bit of work. Blumstein i think would be better suited in the middle. Always looked to cut in, was unlucky not too score.

Looking forward too seeing Valladolid and Antwerp, will be more stiff opposition.

Professional job - well done

Esson - Fairly easy game for him with one good save in the second half

Mcann - Steady but looks a bit immobile. Jurys out yet

Golly - Did his job as you would expect of him in his usual style

Munro - looked steady until he was replaced (saw him limping off carrying his boot at end of 1st half)

Rossco - Like munro - struck the ball well for his goal but seemed a pretty soft booking for hand ball

Cox- was everywhere and for me was the MOM

Duncan - strolled through the game

Sanchez - created quite a lot of the play but never seemed to look up when rooney was in space and seemed to choose the wrong final ball fairly often

Rooney - fairly quiet but didn't get a great deal of service and was having to chase the ball a lot of the time

Ross - Good shift by young Nick and certainly looks promising

Gil - Out wide on the left and seemed to struggle out there - always cutting in and certainly not a winger

Subs Innes- not on long enough to make an impact

eric - looked sharp and willing to put himself about looking for the ball

Roy - looked quite good in the left back position and willing to come forward as well

We can only beat what is in front of us and we did that fairly comfortably - A sterner test awaits

These are my opinions and obviously we all see the game differently :ictscarf::_talktalktalk:

I think 3 - 0 flattered us against 3rd division opposition, It's early days yet and to be sure it was a very much better performance than against Montrose this time last year. Although fair play to them, Queen's Park played some decent footy at times and should do well this season.

To do well in the SPL we need one or two of the new signinigs to stand out as being shoe ins for a regular starting place and the downside of today was that we didn't see that. McCann looked pretty poor to me and whilst Blumenshtein showed some nice touches he was generally pretty ineffective and we looked a lot sharper and theatening when Eric came on - he was as good as I've seen him play. Innes was only on for a few minutes before he had to go off but in the brief time he was on looked the best of the new signings.

Nick Ross did well enough but is a long way short of the standard of Hayes whilst Rooney looked off the pace today. I am sure it was the intention to take him off after about 60 minutes and put Sutherland on but unfortunately the injury to Innes put paid to that. Everybody else was OK with the pick of the bunch being Cox.

A good work out but more attention needed on the defence is my verdict.

Oh, and why was there no stadium announcer? Do they think there is no need now the names are back on the shirts?

Oh, and why was there no stadium announcer? Do they think there is no need now the names are back on the shirts?

There was but the system went down about 2-15pm and could not be fixed in time. repairs imminent.

A decent performance, more of a pre-season friendly than anything. A few moments of excitement, although more were found in the half-time entertainment than the game itself. I hope they keep that on, seeing the wee lad dummy the ball about 15 times before fluffing it was fantastic.

Was that Max Johnson in goals at half-time? Nice if it was.

Out of the new boys, Blumenshtein looks like he has enough in him to take control of that spot behind Rooney, McCann looks strong enough at right-back, with enough awareness to let his lack of height be a non-issue and Innes did look the part when he was on.

Did Innes get injured? He didn't feel his thigh/foot, didn't go down at any point, and looked more angry at being subbed than anything else.

Man of the Match - Odi scored one and caused havoc with his pace when introduced. Odi is the new Rooney unless the ginge starts to pull the strings again. Cox can share this award, he was superb. The new Ian Black.

We are not quite the full article without Hayes and Foran. Really hope they can get some game time before the Celtic game or it'll be sit-in and hope they don't score for 90 minutes.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Big thanks to Caleyrule for texting me updates. I was on a deserted beach on Islay with no radio, sunbathing, watching the seals playing, watching Caley ma dug running mad and the only sound apart from the surf crashing onto the white beach was text messages from TCS, Bliss :_thumbup:

• Agree 1

Thought that wasn't too bad today, did enough against a team that was never going to cause too much trouble. Some of our 1st half moves were excellent (especially the one that resulted in an offside goal) and the passing was OK for a team that's still learning where each other are on the park. Cox looks more and more like 1 Mr. Black with every passing game, I would give McCann pass marks (his first touch was excellent at times) and Blumenstein has obvious quality. Stand out for me was Eric. He's improved no end now that he's fully fit and confident. Valladolid & Antwerp should be interesting, especially if Foran, Hayes and Gillet are available.

We did look more threatening when Odihambo came on no doubt, I'd put that down to Rooney being upfront on his own beforehand though and having to try do everything himself when he clearly doesn't have enough work ethic in him. One thing I will say about Eric is that he can look class when he wants to. Today he chased everything down and looked a step or 2 ahead of every other player on the park, was the same against Forres. However against Fleetwood he wasn't in the game at all and Sutherland looked the better option upfront ahead of him. If we can get some consistency in him he could really shine next season up against SPL defences.

Agree with what's being said about Coxy, he was awesome today, and indeed in every friendly I've seen him in. Not scared at all to get stuck in, and is showing much more composure and ability to pick a pass now aswell. Good run and reactions for his goal too, well done that boy. McCann, whilst having an average performance, also impressed. Everytime he was having a look at where to put the ball rather than just using the hoof tactic, which Golly and Munro were guilty of. Looking forward to seeing how the boy Gillet plays at left back.

• Agree 1

Was Innes pulled for back-chatting TB?

When Butcher instructed him to pull back to defend he definately objected and shouted something at TB!

He was substituted very shortly after that and had only been on the pitch for 10 - 15 minutes.

neksor

When Butcher instructed him to pull back to defend he definately objected and shouted something at TB!

He was substituted very shortly after that and had only been on the pitch for 10 - 15 minutes.

neksor

I was surprised Roy McBain wasn't hooked for a fairly heated exchange with TB.

In fact I've gotta funny feeling it might be a wee while before we see him in the side again.

neksor

I was surprised Roy McBain wasn't hooked for a fairly heated exchange with TB.

In fact I've gotta funny feeling it might be a wee while before we see him in the side again.

Russel Duncan got a bollocking too.

Roscoes goal was weel taken too. He was behind the pack but took a second to look up and loft slightly into the roof of the net. Not too high not too low. Clarse.

As usual, some of the posts here are picking on certain players and Rooney in particular as got it in the neck from some. As some posters mentioned, little or no service to him so he was trying to do everything himself and that impacts on his game.A few digs at Sanchez as well, why?. He had a much better second hald and put in some good crosses. Always likes to try and play football which is more than can be siad for some. linked up well with Eric several times and the introduction of Eric definately lifted the pace of the game.

None of the new signings really stood out although Blumenshein didn't look comfortable on the left. Jury still out on McCann but he needs to show a bit more.

As for our defence, if the centre backs play like that in the SPL, we will suffer. No pace from Munro and Tokely and both skineed early on. Poor positional play from Tokely as well sometimes. As for Nick Ross, had some goos touches but someone needs to take him aside and get him to a gym. He is far too lightweight and needs to bulk up if he is ever going to really make an impression.

All in all, a reasonable start but much work to be done.

Anyone else think that Blumenshtein's corners were quite good?

I thought they were very good but i think he was played in the wrong position. I think he should be the man in behind rooney because has they skill to turn players and play a nice through ball as he did for rooney but he was unfortunately offside.