FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Baptism of water

Laurence

Hi

Today is my birthday by the way - born 1st August 1943

I took my train from Aviemore to Inverness at a quater to one, turned up at Inverness about 40 mins later, It was raining quite hard, being on the mean side ( no taxi ) I decieded to get a bus. Nobody could tell me were I could get one. Eventually I was directed to a 25x , who dumped me on the highway opposite Medceded Benz showroom. Still pouring down, I walked towards the Caledoneon stadium. Spray from passing trafic and puddles on the pavement didn't help. I had to negociate the roundabout, Notice said " high speed trafic, cross with care ". I have an old Rugby League injury which means my knee is sore, so running is not my strong point. I stood by the road getting covered with spray untill suddenly a gap appeared in the trafic and I went for it.

I then proceded to walk to the ground at a sedate pace. On my left side a salt distribution depot, surounded by railway lupins, and thistles, not the nice traditional Scotish thistle but an ugly corruption of this plant, on the other side a beautiful seascape second to non of views from any British soccer stadium. I puzzled in my own mind who could give planning permission for a football ground acessed by an high speed road, with no flyover. I never cease to be amazed.

On arrival at the ground I entered the stadium, for the first time, never before had I been into any sort of stadium in Scotland and I was quite impressed. I was puzzled by the names on seats, and I wonered where to sit, worried that the owner whose name was on the seat, would have a claim on it. I did eventually sit on a seat marked David Cameron, which I thought had a certain irony, as a life time member of Labour and the trade unions , I had to smile.

I chatted to a couple of supporters of Queen's Park, we were discussing the history of the club. I was amazed at the fact that all the players were totally ameteur. It was mentioned that if it had embraced professionalism in the old days, it would probably be a top team in Scotland if not Great Britain, throughout the ages.

The game set off , Queen's looked busy, and Inverness looked rusty. An early atack showed no 18 to be tottaly out of position on the left side of the midfield, he certainly looked like a squre peg in a round hole. In fact in the first attack, he gave the ball away in a sloppy manner which put Queen's immediately on the counter.

The first 20 mins I thought it was hard to think which team was in the higher division, which players were paid, and which were ameteur. I suppose the strenth of the Inverness defence , was the difference. I was particulary impressed with the ability of the left footers in defence , No 3 ( very one footed) , and No5, who for the life of me should not be taking throw ins.

No 18 although playing on the left side can't kick at all with his left, and kept wandering out of position. His positional sense was very poor. He did however looked dangerous in the middle ( Diago Forlan like) when he ran with the ball. He also like to take set pieces, a feature he should forget.

The three goals were well taken, especial y lthe one scored by the defender that I thought was real class. The strenht of the ICT players showed towards the end as the willing Queens Park players wilted. I remember thinkinking they will have to play much better than this in the SPL, or they will be cut to ribbons.

On occasion Queens Park did break through the ICT defence but failed to score, This could have been more serious against better oposition.

My view having seen many games in England at all levels that the standard is better than the conference. About as good as league two. A couple of the ICT defenders could get a game in a Championship side.

Something that did puzzle me was the ICT goalkeeper, threw the ball right handed, but kicked with his left.

Having said all the above I know the players are still not mach fit , and there are injuries, but they sure have to improve to survive in the top flight. Just an opinion , but I have watched the game now for over 60 years.

• Agree 1

Had you, after crossing the road at the roundabout, taken the first right, just under the railway bridge, into Innes street, you could have rested your knee and lubricated your foot in the pub a hundred yards along the street, and met some interesting ICT fans.

Something that did puzzle me was the ICT goalkeeper, threw the ball right handed, but kicked with his left.

I was a left footed goalkeeper donkey's years ago, but threw the ball right handed - what's so strange about that?

nice piece laurence.. always interesting to see what some makes of it coming in from the outside so to speak. obviously you are used to a higher standard of football but it is nice to have someone who is objective and not swayed by old loyalties or favoritism

Good heavens we've got an old one here. Laurence is 67 and only IHE is older than him but less old than the Pimple and Jock Watt in first place who is a veteran.

They are catching us up Jock.

Jeez , if you pass on then I will have to gloss over IHE's grumpiness so I don't have a heart attack from stress. :rotflmao: