FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Highland March

Joonya

I am updating from the Glassie Farm bunkhouse in Aberfeldy.

Some of you will have already heard (or seen via twitter/facebook updates) that this years End to End effort has failed. However we are in no way calling this a complete and utter failure.

Every marcher made the first stage to Slochd without problems on Wednesday night. After just 2 hours sleep, every marcher was on the road (05:30) to set off on the planned 57 mile stage to Keltneyburn (near Kenmore).

Chumba was the first to climb aboard the support v-Hickle with a persistant foot injury and fatigue, with BA and Gringo next to baord with pulled muscle's and tiredness.

That left CapitalCaley, Dunco, Yompa and GringoJnr (that's me) to carry on.

The planned schedlue was kept to all the way, and we made Tromie Bridge bang on time at 12noon yesterday. With a 21 mile completely off-road stage aghead, CC and Dunco boarded the bus, leaving Yompa and GJ as the only troops left on the End-to-End.

Glen Tromie, usually a favorite stage for most Highland Marchers, was an absolute nightmare. We suffered heavy rain showers, funnelling winds that would vertually stop us in our tracks or blow us over, and all the river crossings were relatively full and fast flowing.

After the final river crossing, there was 5 miles to go until the end of Tromie at Dalnacardoch Lodge. It was over these final miles that much discussion was had between Yompa and GJ.

I'll add here that these two had walked every mile of every Highland March since it's formation in 2003.

Taking into account that there would still be 15 miles, complete with 3 hard hill climbs to get us to the end of the day, we decided to called it a day with dignity.

This Highland March, we knew the route in the time scale was going to be very tough, and on paper it looked almost do-able. But physically and mentally, this was impossible. None of us cam say we didn't give 100% effort, and we're going to carry on for the game v Hamilton. Only now it'll involve a bit more enjoyment and a relaxed approach to the final stages.

The E2E attempt may have proven to be too ambitious due to the time constraints put on you by the SPL conspiring with Mother Nature ... but in no way has the HM failed as between you all you will make it from TCS to NDP in time for the match.

Excellent effort guys, keep it going, and here's hoping the SPL give you more than 64 hours to travel from one end of the country to the other next season !

After looking on the highland march website I think I passed you lot in training north of Spean bridge about a month ago, that was some pace you were setting for yourself, were you just popping down to Fort William to buy some messages.

Spoke to the guys down at the game today and whilst a little disappointed that the tradition of having someone complete an E2E every year has been broken, the spirit hasn't and I believe the Highland March will now evolve into something better for the future with new focus and aims.

When we left them they were heading off for a well earned dram or two and I'm sure we'll get their stories in due course.

Unfortunately they were also prevented from doing the lap of honour at Hamilton, police denied them and the excuse given was a clamp down on security following the events at Tynecastle the other night...a ridiculous decision and a total over reaction, IMO, and the only negative in an otherwise great day.

While it looked on paper to just about be manageable, in reality this was near mission impossible. Having been the first person in on Wednesday night/ Thursday morning i got the most sleep, an hour and three quarters. To then try and walk 57 miles would have taken a superhuman effort. Unfortunately my calf went about 5 miles before Aviemore which meant that getting to Aviemore was as far as i was going to get in my quest for the E2E, had i not suffered the injury i think i would reached the start of Tromie (42 miles) and called it a day, 21 miles without a get out clause would just have been too much, and i have the biggest respect for Gringo Jnr and Yompa for managing to get that far.

I think in a weird way everyone pulling out of the E2E was the best thing that could have happened, this meant we could enjoy ourselves and have some banter which is what is all about. After a 9 mile trek on Friday afternoon, we then had a few beers, a few games of darts and played cards, this brought the team closer together and come Saturday morning our aim was to get the last 22 miles into Hamilton, we arrived at Hamilton a matter of minutes before 1, exactly what we had anticipated.

Last night brought some interesting discussions regarding the future of HM, next years March will definitely be a 7 day event, there will also be a top level for End to End; any distance over 170 miles will mean no one does an End to End and it will be too much and will mean that people will be more focussed on the end to end rather than enjoying themselves which is the priority in these events

unlucky chaps

cracking effort and your heads can be held more than high. at least you had the testicular fortitude to have a go

Seconded. HUUUUUUGE gonads.

Edited by TheMantis