FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Best ever Caley game

dan_ict

The 3-0 win against County in season 96/97. Barry Wilsons first game against County since joining Caley. His dad had been sacked by County a few months earlier and Barry was on a revenge mission....

I was standing right beside Bobby that night when that Barry goal went in. Bobby was on his feet!

This is an absolutiely great thread! And how many clubs a mere 16 years old could boast such a wide variety of choice?

I certainly had to think long and hard in order to make mine and might indeed change my mind a few times over the next few days.

Maybe, given the embarrassment of riches, someone should start a new thread inviting "Top 10s"!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

1.Ayr away 7 nil

2.pars away we all love cox

3.beating celtic 1 nil in the cup

4.kille away pie song

5.rangers away black pen

6.4-3 v raith

7.3-2 v celtic

8.4 nil away at dundee united made a fiver aswell

9.beating aberdeen the first time

10.beating st midden away when roscoe scored

• Agree 1

Surprised beating Rangers 2-1 isn't top of many peoples list.

For some reason we have always had cracking games against Killie, remember one that finished 4-4 with Brewster scoring a peach from 30 yards.

7-0 away to Ayr won't be repeated for years. So many great games last season, the Richie Foran overhead kick against Raith was one of the best, as well as Cox's last minute winner and Foran's clincher against the pars.

Brewster's scissors kick in the last seconds vs Hearts was superb as well. But the 3-2 game against Celtic and beating Aberdeen for the first time stands out by a mile.

It has to August 1994, East Stirlingshire v Caledonian Thistle in the 1st Round of the league Cup Firs Park 0-2 with Wilson Robertson scoring CT's first competitive goal (i think) . Then a close second must come the 5-2 trouncing of Arbroath in our first competitive game in the Scottish league.

maybe not the best one, but when we beat partick at home last sason in january with rooneys penalty MISS and then a fornute penalty in the last minute - i think thats when we reaaly believed we could put in a title charge. also ayr 7-0 and both celtic games 3-1 and 3-2.

Dec. 9th 1995 - Humping County 5-2 in the Inverness Cup Final at Grant St. I remember Bobby Wilson shaking his head in despair as Stewarty slammed in a hat-trick. Mikey Teasdale and Thommo made their debuts and Daisy Ross tore the County full back a new one. A very noisy crowd of 3000, the vast majority of which were in the covered enclosure behind the goal, made it a fantastic atmosphere. Great days.

Surprised beating Rangers 2-1 isn't top of many peoples list.

For some reason we have always had cracking games against Killie, remember one that finished 4-4 with Brewster scoring a peach from 30 yards.

7-0 away to Ayr won't be repeated for years. So many great games last season, the Richie Foran overhead kick against Raith was one of the best, as well as Cox's last minute winner and Foran's clincher against the pars.

Brewster's scissors kick in the last seconds vs Hearts was superb as well. But the 3-2 game against Celtic and beating Aberdeen for the first time stands out by a mile.

Your first point about the rangers 2-1 game brings back fond memories of Inverness rangers "fans" sitting in the north stand leaving early. When we win against the infirm it makes it all sweeter. I went for the 3-2 Celtic game for Strachans comment "they'll be sitting in that dressing room wondering how they won that game". He's such an ungracious little sod. We won it on merit and turning in a performance worthy of Barcelona. We don't wear the red and blue stripes for nothing! ;)

Edited by Top Six Next Year
  • Agree 1

For me it's the 3-2 win v Celtic, coming back from 2-0 down. Followed by the 7-0 Ayr Away Day, that was just immense. Also the Raith game with Foran's overhead well in to injury time.

Games and moments like those make you fall in love with football really. :ictscarf:

Quite a few have mentioned our first ever win against Aberdeen (2-0 at Pittodrie) a couple of seasons ago.

Strange that no one's mentioned the scorer of both goals on that that historic day!

For me, all our wins against the OF have been very, very special.

Edited by Johnboy

It might have only been 2-2 against Partick away but that was also one of my favourite matches. If we won that game we'd have went to Hampden. I think the attendance was around 8 thousand and for the replay it was about 5,000 (not bad for a midweek game in Inverness. We ended up losing in one my most memorable dissapointing nights 1-0 in the replay, a game that probably should have been called off due to the rain. I hated Scott Paterson for years after that.

Edited by ICTPAISLEY

Dec. 9th 1995 - Humping County 5-2 in the Inverness Cup Final at Grant St. I remember Bobby Wilson shaking his head in despair as Stewarty slammed in a hat-trick. Mikey Teasdale and Thommo made their debuts and Daisy Ross tore the County full back a new one. A very noisy crowd of 3000, the vast majority of which were in the covered enclosure behind the goal, made it a fantastic atmosphere. Great days.

Ooft, I forgot about this one. A great performance.

Quite a few have mentioned our first ever win against Aberdeen (2-0 at Pittodrie) a couple of seasons ago.

Strange that no one's mentioned the scorer of both goals on that that historic day!

For me, all our wins against the OF have been very, very special.

Scorers, Johnboy. Plural.

barrowman and roy iirc??

You recall correctly.

For me the Hearts cup win in 2002 just tips the Celtic game two years earlier, although the Celtic game was undoubtedly the bigger result - it was just one of those games where the perfect performance married with the perfect combination of mates and pre- and post-match revelry, not to mention three stunning goals. Beyond that, there are far too many great games to mention, although Ayr last season must be up there.

Re the wins over Rangers, I was at both the Ibrox games, but although they were great occasions, the 2-1 in Inverness (which I watched in the local in Maryhill) was by far the best performance of the three: we were all over them for large parts of that game. Even though I had to be unpeeled from the ceiling when Rankin's goal went in, and accepted a couple of free beers from grateful Celtic supporters, I still envy anyone who was there to see it in the flesh.

Edited by alternative maryhill

Ooh THAT Rankin goal. What a peach that was. I was so happy to have made it to that game. I also thought our 1-0 victory over Partick in Glasgow last season was a cracking performance. Watching the Man Utd game V Bolton afterwards in the Pewter Pot wasn't a patch on it.

As the initial post said 'best Caley game', not 'best ICT game', here's one for the old codgers (like me).

It would be in late 50s at Cowdenbeath. At that time there were only two divisions in Scottish football and Cowdenbeath at the time were riding high at the top of Division 2, unbeaten in the league when we played them in the Scottish Cup. Caley won 5-3 and in fact were 5-1 up with a couple of minutes to go. The hero that day was a chap called Kinloch (Bobby, I think, a serviceman from Lossie or Kinloss)) with a hat trick. It was one of Caley's many great giant killing performances from those days.

Going by some folks reply's - there's some awful young lads/lassie's on this forum!

And some old yins...... Cowdenbeath in the fifties!

Caley had some great cup games.. Airdire in the scottish cup, 2-2 and a win on penalties, beating Clyde as well.

I will never forget CT's (no Inverness at that time) first league game - humping Arbroath 5-2.

Parkhead in feb 2000, Tynecastle 3-1 in the cup as well, Beating Ayr 4-3 after being 3-0 down.

Beating Hearts 2-0 after Robbo had just been headhunted by them, Chanting ' thankyou very much for taking Robbo' over and over again!

Ayr 7-0 Rangers 2-1 at home, Tims 3-2 at home.... jeez the list goes on and on.