FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Jonny Hayes to Celtic?(what if)

Scarlet Pimple

Jonny--well, he IS Irish and is showing his stuff.

So is Celtic Interested and is a big move on the cards?

They would not put him into the first team, of course, but they MIGHT bring him in to bring him on.

Stranger things have happened --AND, it would be one less very dangerous forward with whom their team has to contend at the next mneeting with Inverness Caley Thistle. NOT the Caley Thistle that got hanmmered the last time around but one now growing stronger by the minute.

:unsure: The result against Rangers will not have escaped their attention we are sure.

I wonder if, after that performance, a move to the blue half might be more likely. Smith's bought Celtic-supporters before (if Hayes ever was) and needs to replace Weiss fairly soon. Celtic also have McGinn and McCourt regularly on the bench, so not sure another winger is a priority. I guess we'll see when Lennon leaves at the end of the season and yet another manager tears the squad apart.

This thread is being transferred quicker than Jonny Hayes.

As far as I am concerned it's a non starter...........but I suppose every player has his price, so anything is possible. With Hayes catching the eye of course other teams will notice him, after all, money talks. But this thread could be about any player in the world.

its not a rumour .... so it should be ICT (Jonny Hayes) or NON-ICT (Celtic). The mods can decide which one

It doesn't bother me where the thread is, i'd have left it in ICT though as it is ICT related and as its not a rumour i don't think it belongs here. The original point of the topic was for an opinion on Johnny Hayes (an ICT player) on whether or not a team like celtic may come in for him seeing as he's getting a lot of attention this season.

I personally think he will need 1 extra step up before any move to the OF is made, much like Barry Robson. If he was to sign for Hearts, Hibs, or Dundee Utd and play well for them i could see him signing for one of the OF in the future as he is still young.

The only thing that is certain (to me) is that at some point in the future we will lose the likes of Hayes, Rooney and Odhiambo to 'bigger' teams, especially if they continue to perform well.

We simply do not have the resources to match most other teams and unfortunately, money talks. Having said that, from comments made by at least two of those players, and I get the impression it applies to all three, I dont think money is the be-all and end-all for them so we might hold onto them for longer than we would think, but they must also have aspirations of playing for their country and that is more easily achievable if they are at a club traditionally regarded as a 'big' club. It doesnt matter that we know ICT are a big club .... others still regard us as a 'wee highland team'.

Both halves of the OF have a tradition of buying the best players from other teams and leaving them rotting in the reserves. Whether any of them go to the OF via another team or there directly is up for discussion but I am just happy we have all three right now and hope we do all we can to keep them for as long as possible.

I also think the likes of Ross and Shinnie could be added to this discussion. They have both shown excellent promise and unlike the aforementioned three have come up through the ranks .... I wonder if it will be easier to keep them or whether they would also be tempted .....

• Disagree 1

Adam said before he'd rather first team slot than bench warking, johnny wasn't even a bench warmer at his last place, n let's not forget, its Terry n Mo that's giving them the place on the team and guidance, even Foran has a lot to give back to Terry for picking him up n dusting him off too, I think Terry will find us more rough diamonds in the future, people seem to want to play for him.

Edited by Georgeios

I think the title of the thread could be changed to 'What If?' and it could then be put in general nonsense and we could all make up a new 'What If?' question.

What if a player breaks a leg?

What if a plane coming into the airport chooses to land at Fort George instead?

What if Dundee get out of administration?

What if County make it to the SPL?

There are so many questions and nobody could answer them.

Just because he's Irish doesn't mean he'll end up at Celtic, although I do believe he supports them and said so before the first game of the season. Celtic have Forrest, McCourt, Samaras, Stokes and Maloney all capable and better candidates than Hayes for the wing so can't see it.

If Hayes was going anywhere it's likely to be a championship team and it all would depend on what we value him at. He is on a contract for 2 seasons so if we received an offer in the winter transfer window we could play hard ball and value what it would cost for a replacement of his calibre. I would ask for ?1mil for a young, fast, intelligent, SPL proven, goal scoring winger... the board would accept anything over ?250k because he was signed for nothing and the fear of losing him for nothing when his contract runs out.

This is why we find a gem of a player and he is of a young age then we have to be more confident in our contract negotiations. Trust the manager, 3 years is not a long time in a young players career. Hayes or Rooney for example, if signed on 3 year contracts are only going to be 24 when their contract ends and in that time they will be given regular first team appearances and the platform show their potential. If you say that a midfielder or forward is meant to peak at about 27 then they have plenty of time show their best at "bigger club" rather than settling for the first offer that comes their way. In the end of the day if their performances are as good as they have been then a club will want to pay a more reasonable fee for them.

Before anyone uses Barrowman or Niculae as an example to why we only offer short contracts, I'd point out that Brewster is a numpty, Barrowman held us ransom when he was top goal scorer in the 2nd division, which should never have happened. Niculae would have made us a shed load of money if it wasn't for the board not reading the fine print and making a complete erse out of the transfer.

I believe Butcher has got the formula right and hopefully has the faith of the board on his managerial decisions. We know now that both Hayes & Rooney have taken to the SPL like ducks to water and are only likely to improve in future so why not try to benefit financially from this. Offer Rooney a reasonably high paid 3 year contract with clauses to reduce wages if we were ever relegated and offer Hayes a contract extension to the same affect

If Hayes was going anywhere it's likely to be a championship team and it all would depend on what we value him at. He is on a contract for 2 seasons so if we received an offer in the winter transfer window we could play hard ball and value what it would cost for a replacement of his calibre. I would ask for ?1mil for a young, fast, intelligent, SPL proven, goal scoring winger... the board would accept anything over ?250k because he was signed for nothing and the fear of losing him for nothing when his contract runs out.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a minimum fee release clause that is much much lower than any other the figures you talk about. I have no idea whether or not he has any such clause, but it is not uncommon for players (especially highly rated ones) to sign a contract extension with the club they are happy at, but to keep their options open and ensure they can move easily if they wish.