FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

the snow

Linwoodictsc

We have a dusting here but some will say half a foot... I got a call from my folks the night n they said the lighting was v v blue n weird.

Apparently....in THUNDERSNOW....the lighning can be multi coloured coz of the snow crystals having a prism effect and also....the thunder is muffled, coz the snow absorbs the sound. I just saw flashes, didnt hear anything

Definitely some blue flashes lighting up the whole sky and rumbles of thunder from the East direction. That was about 10:00pm last night.

Blue lightning..........could be an omen for today.

A wee skiff, but pretty cold.

I was in Grantown today, around 6 inches there.

took me 50 mins to drive 12 miles from aviemore to grantown to work this morning road was a nightmare,just now in aviemore we have at least 12 inches and still falling

So Strathspey Thistle's next home game will be in April then?

very likely yes lol

Myself and a colleague were returning from weekend training in Rosyth yesterday - 6 hours to reach Dundee (distance 40 miles) with 2 of those hours at a complete stand-still on the northbound carriageway south of J9 on M90 (just before Perth). Got to Dundee to find police had closed A90(N). Managed to contact the local Sea Cadet unit through the Area office contacts and they opened it up for us so we could kip overnight if need be, and we were joined by two others who were also heading north towards Grampian. Checked trafficscotland.com, looked at camera images, contacted some more people at strategic points (Arbroath and Inverbervie) who reported the A92 roads looked black so we decided to take the chance. Turned out the A92 was fine, although obviously needed to travel with caution but we were in the Unit minibus and it coped magnificently.

Horrible, horrible experience. I hear on the news that some people did end up sheltering in their vehicles overnight - very relieved we were not in that situation but feel for those who did.

To their credit, Aberdeenshire Council have obviously been working hard on keeping the main routes clear as it was a straight run into work this morning.

The thunder and lightning was amazing on friday night, i was out walking the dug above westhill and got a fantastic view of the display, looked to be over the Black isle / dingwall area, never seen that before in winter.

The thunder and lightning was amazing on friday night, i was out walking the dug above westhill and got a fantastic view of the display, looked to be over the Black isle / dingwall area, never seen that before in winter.

That's right. We had several flashes and claps of thunder and it was directly above us at one point. As someone said earlier, the light was bluish and the thunder, even when close, was somewhat mufflled, presumably because the sound is absorbed by the snow. I've certainly never experienced thunder and lightning during snow before.