FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Fulham chairman honours Jacko

Djay

Fulham’s Chairman Mohamed Al Fayed, will unveil a commemorative statue of Michael Jackson at Craven Cottage, on Sunday 3 April at 12 noon, to honour the friendship he shared with the legendary performer.

Following the death of the star, Fulham’s Chairman commissioned a statue in his memory, which was originally planned to be erected outside his Harrods store. However, subsequent to the sale of the Knightsbridge landmark, it was decided that Craven Cottage was the natural alternative for the tribute.

The statue, depicting the singer in one of his most iconic poses, is situated on the banks of the River Thames, adjacent to the Riverside and Hammersmith Stands at the Football Club.

Fulham’s Chairman enjoyed a long and happy friendship with the megastar, who visited both his football club and his former Harrods store many times.

This afternoon Mohamed Al Fayed said:

‘Michael Jackson was truly a legend, a term used too often in this modern world saturated in the hyperbole surrounding celebrity.

‘He was my friend, a man with whom I shared many happy memories and who died a tragic and untimely death. He left behind a legacy of music so vast it takes one’s breath away; from a precocious talent to an ingenuity and ground breaking modernity that shall never be repeated. It shall often be imitated, but it will never be replicated, Michael Jackson was, and shall always remain, one of a kind.

‘I hope that many fans of his will visit the statue at the Cottage from far and wide, and that Fulham fans will appreciate seeing the finest performer in the world, in and amongst them, the finest fans in the world.’

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/ChairmanHonoursMichaelJackson.aspx#ixzz1Gmka35Mr

Edited by Djay

This has to be the most random thing i have ever seen. Sure Jackson was a great performer and i'm sure him and Fayed were friends but by building it at Craven Cottage implies that he had something to do with Fulham football club which is not the case. I'm sure many of their fans aren't happy about it either. If i were them i'd see this as Fayed taking the mick. Just sounds like a real waste of money imo.

• Agree 1

cant see this remaining un-abused for long (made up word i know) . banks of the thames and load of football fans who may or may not had a skinfull???

Or even by some kids with nothing better to do? Would that be karma? Allegedly of course. :tongueincheek: