FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Pre-Season & Charlton away (merged)

caleydawson

A short corner can cause a defense to panic and lose shape allowing for the whipped cross into the box to someone who's now unmarked. Short corners allow retaining possession whereas the long corner can lose you that. Its all about what feels right at the time. I wouldn't knock either method because both can result in a goal if executed well.

I would also re-iterate what others have said in that pre-season friendlies are all about chopping and changing, experimenting etc and not about entertaining fans.

Some talk of Charlton

Only visited the Valley once when I lived in London, it is in a very remote area of South London, takes about half an hour on the train if you get on at London Bridge station.

When I got there I was searched from top to toe by a very large black man steward, they had been told that a fan had a gun.

The Valley at one time had the biggest embankment in the country, It when the ground was remodelled and the team played at Upton Park.

The ground is now a very fine stadium.

I have always had a lot of time for Charlton, it is in a hard working community in a very unfashionable part of town, so to speak,  It was a great history, once went from the 3rd Div South to the old first Div, in two seasons , at the time an unheard feat.

I hope all the travelling fans, and those Scottish fans, exiled in London, enjoy their day. It will be a tough task to get a result especially if Athletic play something like their first team. Makes a change from playing, lets face it, Highland league teams, who are not the best of a challenge.

Has anyone decided which pub ICT fans are meeting in pre match?   The choice seems to be between the Antigallican (where some are staying overnight I believe), or the Rose of Denmark.  Or maybe both ??? Four of us from Reading area will get there 12ish.  Perhaps see some of you around.

Has anyone decided which pub ICT fans are meeting in pre match?   The choice seems to be between the Antigallican (where some are staying overnight I believe), or the Rose of Denmark.  Or maybe both ??? Four of us from Reading area will get there 12ish.  Perhaps see some of you around.

Been on the Charlton forum discussing this game for the past couple of weeks and we have been invited to the Liberal or the Lib as the locals call it, its just up the road from the Antigallican

Further back in the thread CAFCTrev recommened the The Rose of Denmark which is where he will be. That's where I'll be too as its got real beer for real men :lol:

Been on the Charlton forum discussing this game for the past couple of weeks and we have been invited to the Liberal or the Lib as the locals call it, its just up the road from the Antigallican

Always nice to be invited in by the locals. I wonder if it will be as good as Th Ship Inn!

So it's no longer a rumour  then?

I hear the team is going to go out on the park in their kilts and then do a "Knees up Mother Brown" routine. Then the plan is for them to disappear up the tunnel , change into their strip, come out and handily beat Charlton  since Charlton's guard will be down....and, hopefully,. out.

It's pre-season guys! C,mon.

This will get the fans cheering and laughing and we will make  a huge number of friends , get our name in all the English papers   and will be invited back for sure. :lol:  :crazy:  :cheer01:  :clapoverhead:

I am reliably informed that the gun Laurence alludes to was a replica made by the Bury Black Pudding Company. In those days the travelling Shaker would have had a black pudding in each pocket and a couple of bottles of Greenfield Amber in their caps. And as fer pubs on the Woolwich Road why is everyone ignoring the palatial Pickwick. I Adam and Eve that we can all get Brahms and Liszt in the currant bun. I am reliably informed that there will be Liberal quaffing of ale and spirits and a wee pub crawl sounds like a feckin good idea.