Aberdeen -V- Inverness C.T.

Scotty

Overall, a draw would have been a fair result, but Aberdeen probably created the better chances throughout.  There was no-one out there today who necessarily had a bad game, but only really Shinnie, Draper and Foran put in anything like a good performance, while Brill made some good saves.

But here's the thing people;  what happened to our slinky possession-based stuff from the first few games?  Now we seem to be back whacking balls down the flanks to people to chase.  Tedious and often ineffective.  Should have sent Brill up at the end as well.

Also, have we become too predictable?  Has the time come to maybe take Nick Ross out, and try out more of an unknown quantity from the off?  What about Williams, or even Greenhalgh?  And where's Allen?  I don't think he's injured anymore.  And where's Conor Pepper?!

And finally, substitutions.  Now I know we have a settled team and things have been going alright lately, but there's been times where we need to make an earlier change.  I was surprised that Ross wasn't hooked to be honest, while Polworth (who did look alright to be fair) coming on for Mckay just runs down the clock for Aberdeen.  Also, if we're needing a goal surely Mckay (and I'll concede this wasn't one of his better games) is the man you want out there?  One moment and he comes alive, and that could make the whole difference.

On the plus side, I heard some ICT fans saying that Butcher was stupid to do his celebration thing when we'd gotten beat.  Personally I thought it was a good way to thank the travelling support.  I also thought his trolling of the very angry Aberdonians was also quite funny!

Edited by Renegade

But here's the thing people;  what happened to our slinky possession-based stuff from the first few games?  Now we seem to be back whacking balls down the flanks to people to chase.  

Also, have we become too predictable?  Has the time come to maybe take Nick Ross out, and try out more of an unknown quantity from the off?  What about Williams, or even Greenhalgh?  And where's Allen?  I don't think he's injured anymore.  And where's Conor Pepper?!

Butcher could possibly use the Dundee game to tinker a wee bit with the formation, I suppose, and bring in a couple of the players that  you mention. I think Ross has had a good season so far and thought he looked like he was coming onto a game towards the end of the first half - there was one really good direct run from about the halfway line to the edge of the Aberdeen box - but he didn't seem to be in the game much in the second, even though the team overall did better, so maybe it would be worth giving someone else a chance in a less important game.

I was more concerned with where Vincent was supposed to be playing yesterday. I assume he's supposed to be the link between midfield and attack and he did plenty of running about yesterday, but he never really seemed to be in great positions to receive passes and open up play in the final third. Whether that has been because our defenders have been too quick to punt the ball long in the past couple of games, or one of the reasons for it, I'm not sure, but it has meant that McKay has looked far too isolated and that we have created far fewer chances than in the games pre-Killie. Does he need to have his role defined more clearly for him, or should someone else be given a chance in that position against Dundee?

Again, this isn't knee-jerk negativity - it has been a remarkable start to the season and every team is entitled to an off-day - but we do look far more effective when we are moving the ball about on the deck and building through the midfield. Defensively, we looked composed and solid again yesterday, so if we get back to creating chances for McKay again quickly, we should have a great season.         

Edited by alternative maryhill

If it had finished 0-0 it would have been a fairer result

I don't think Aberdeen did enough to deserve all 3 pts,

however as previously mentioned the way we played was so different from what we`ve recently been used to.

Hardly 2 or 3 passes together & totally wasted free kicks & corners , even the long throws were indecisive.

Back to the tactical drawing board or we will be found out sooner than later.

Bubble.jpg

Same concerns as those raised by Mary Hill as after the Killie match where we won but did not impress. Vincent is more of a defensive midfielder and will never be able to play in the Shinnie role. As I alluded to last week the system appears to allow all five of the midstream to take the opportunity of bombing forward. That is a difficult system to operate and it simply is not working - another test of Butcher's ability to change ? Has he got a plan B ? Again as I alluded to last week it may be time to rest Vincent and play either Agaddsteen up front with the frustrated lonely McKay or try Nick Ross in a Shinnie type role.

The bubble aint burst yet.

Vincent is a different player from Andy Shinnie, as every one recognises. However it is no coincidence we are defensively stronger this year, as Vincent has far more defensive awareness than Shinnie had, and as a result are not as open as last year. Aberdeen set their stall out yesterday to stop us playing, and it clearly worked. Given Aberdeen are being widely tipped to be second this year, it is testament to how far we have come, when one of the better teams respects us in this way.

I agree that Billy was isolated yesterday, and we never looked threatening, but apart from one piece of quality it had 0-0 written all over it. I wish we could develop another way of playing, so we can change it when our playing style is being negated, but we have to remember we do extremely well given our resources, and maybe this is the restricting factor in being able to change the style we play.

However, when put into context we have still got 16/21 points, and been to both Celtic Park and Pittodrie, an excellent return. Onwards and upwards

• Agree 2

Shinnies role wasn't exactly meant to include substantial defensive duties.

I wonder if bring in Williams for Vincent and moving Ross or Doran behind Mckay might be worth trying against Dundee?

Absolutely.

We miss Andrew Shinnie IMO and while Vincent is a good player, they're not the same type.  In some ways, Vincent playing there is akin to playing Russell Duncan in there;  plays OK, but it's not his natural role.

It was a pretty poor game from both sides but I must concede that Aberdeen probably just about deserved the points based on the chances they created. Its disappointing but we have probably been due a bit of a reality check. Tuesday night and the Hibees game will be a big test to see if we are capable of bouncing back.

Must admit the long ball was not much appreciated...mainly cause it didnt work. The game was crying out to be stretched from our point of view but Agdestein was not the man to bring on for it. Williams or Greenhalgh would have probably been better suited to come on and have a go. I feel for Billy, he got no service at all from other attacking players and was left to fend for himself. He did get a few chances but nothing more than half chances. Aberdeen could see the game needed freshening up and brought on Magennis and Vernon, both made an impact with the latter grabbing a cracking goal.

I must admit my first thought on Warren's header was that it was in, i was ready to celebrate. Im yet to see it on TV but it would be really disappointing if it did turn out to have crossed the line. It typified Thomson and his officials performances if thats the case. Thought they were extremely poor. Didnt allow the game to flow, werent consistent with bookings when it came to severity of fouls  and didnt let advantage go on certain occasions, I'm not saying he is the reason we lost. I would imagine both sides were left frustrated with his performance as ref, does worry me a tad that he is one of the most highly rated officials in this country though. 

As Terry said we will have to lick our wounds and move on, we were bound to lose sooner or later but now its a case of bouncing back and building on what was a terrific start to the season. 

Wasn't at the game but would be interested to know if the apparent resorting to hoofing the ball again was in response to Aberdeen closing us down more quickly.  We all want to see an attractive passing game but to do that successfully you either need to have a bit of time on the ball or a very good first touch to be able to play one touch football.  Aberdeen may be one of the better sides in the division but you don't actually need to be good to break up a passing game, you just need the fitness to close down players quickly.

If that is the tactic teams are going to deploy against us then we will need a plan B.  Rather than just hoof it we need players with the abiltyand confidence to keep possession and take men on whilst team mates need to have the awareness to cover in case poossession is lost.

Perfect oppertunity to try out some of our new signings instead of using if it aint broke dont fix it approach I think it is time to give some of the new boys a chance (agdestein , greenhalgh , watkins) and give some of our starting 11 a seat on the bench!

the way TB was talking last week it sounds like alot of the new transfers are raring to go and give our usual suspects a run for thier money but IF we did this would it be better to do v dundee or hibs and who would we put on the bench? :ponder:

Some good comments and analysis of our performance, would just add I became very frustrated with the long punt ( and Richie never won one all day) and thought we got our tactics wrong big style.

Defences on top, Dons were the more hungry and ambitious in my opinion. Let's hope Butcher & Malpas open their eyes to our shortcomings a bit quicker in future

I'd be surprised if there were no changes for the Dundee game, if only to give some people a full week between games, and give Ryan Esson etc. some game time. I don't see a need for great changes either - yesterday was simply a very scrappy game where Aberdeen loaded the midfield big time. Pawlett, Jack and Smith are very similar types of player and their roles yesterday were purely destructive. It meant that James Vincent and Draper had to play across them, or resort to the long ball and neither are effective for us. Other teams now know how we play, but that's no reason to change an entire system of play - we just need to do it a bit quicker and a bit faster, and that's a measure of our style and how much others worry about us.