The new manager thread

Yngwie

Dougal, I agree with you that Hartley would view it as a stepping stone.

I stumbled across a fascinating interview this morning on YouTube with Kenny Shiels. I'm completely and utterly sold on him (and Jimmy Nicholl) getting the job after watching it. I highly recommend giving it a view

After watching that Kenny Shiels is a manager that fans would probably warm to after a good run of form continuing. I wouldn't be totally disheartened if the club do indeed choose Kenny due to the amount of time and effort that he puts into his football club.

Getting him out of the central belt and into the non pressured highlands might do him good and he might not need to out speak with the press the way he done with Killie.

I would like to think working with Kenny Cameron would rub off on Shiels. Im sure working with Michael Johnston would prove somewhat frustrating at times, given that hes a total erse . From my understanding Cameron strikes me as a quite a decent bloke and probably fairly easy to work alongside and with them appointing Shiels I would imagine he would have the full support of the board from the beginning, something he didnt really get at Killie. 

As a manager he did pretty well with what he had, they did tremendously in the cup and with a fairly small squad. He also did his best to unearth gems from down south and make the most of them up north which means the transfer policy wouldnt change too drastically. 

If he cuts out his attitude problem and comes up here for the right reasons I'd support him but thats only if. 

Edited by AJS
  • Agree 1

I stumbled across a fascinating interview this morning on YouTube with Kenny Shiels. I'm completely and utterly sold on him (and Jimmy Nicholl) getting the job after watching it. I highly recommend giving it a view

After watching that Kenny Shiels is a manager that fans would probably warm to after a good run of form continuing. I wouldn't be totally disheartened if the club do indeed choose Kenny due to the amount of time and effort that he puts into his football club.

Getting him out of the central belt and into the non pressured highlands might do him good and he might not need to out speak with the press the way he done with Killie.

Just watched the same interview. Really compelling stuff. Im really starting to sway towards him now. 

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

Just found out that Stewart Baxter in charge of Finland, doubt guys who mentioned him in this thread knew that either.

I still want Kenny Shiels though, wouldn't mind Kevin MacDonald or Paul Hartley mind you.

Just watched the same interview. Really compelling stuff. Im really starting to sway towards him now.

Still want Paul Hartley though! Great win today for his 100th game in charge of Alloa and sit 4th in the Championship.

• Agree 1

Just found out that Stewart Baxter in charge of Finland, doubt guys who mentioned him in this thread knew that either.

He doesn't anymore.  He now manages Kaizer Chiefs.

Watched that Shiels interview earlier as well.  Seems to come across as quite a decent guy.

Edited by Renegade

Chris Sutton at 11/10!  Appointing him would be a risk.  He has very limited experience of management - a short and mediocre spell at Lincoln followed by his current role at struggling Wrexham.  Surely the Board will not take that big a risk.

I'm warming to Shiels.  He's the sort of outspoken character you make fun of when he's ranting on behalf of another team, but when someone is ranting like that on behalf of your team then he becomes the sort of person you want on your side.  We've had a go at him here in the past but if he was appointed I think he would quickly endear himself to the fans and players alike.  I think he will tick a lot of boxes for ICT and obviously he knows the Scottish game well.

Shiels problem is that he has upset too many people with his comments. I like the guy but I do not think he will fit into our club. His managerial career is a bit patchy.

Jimmy Nicholl is a very experienced Manager and Assistant. After dinner speaker and all round good guy. Would fit into ICT nicely. 

Yogi remains my choice at present. He did a very good job with Hartlepool, and a bit like Butcher, almost pulled the great escape off. His record was still pretty good. He is a massively passionsate man who has always traded banter with our fans in Inverness.

When playing for Ayr, he would often say, 'I **** hate coming up to this place'. His attitude changed when he brought Falkirk up the road, and they latterly had a good record against us. He was responsible for our relegation although personally, I blamed it on Butcher who made progress and kept telling us 'we are nearly safe' (the same Butcher who told us we were nearly in Europe and blew that too!).

Chris Sutton was interviewed when Butcher got the job but is still light on managerial experience. I caanot see him wanting to get his hands dirty nor face the raw cold.

Yogi has overcome many obstacles. He is a great motivator. Would Yogi get on with Richie? I think they would be pals. Would there be space for Jimmy Nic? I hope so plus a two year contract extension for Richie. This year he has been immense. If truth be known, he has had an enormous influence on the team starting with the team bonding night out. 

The week ahead is has a series of massive challenges for ICT - managerial continuity, extending Richie's contract, securing commonsense with the Semi venue. The final challenge will be about containing St Johnstone and then getting a result.

I believe we are a bigger club than Hibs!!!!

I've actually spent a large chunk of today researching the perceived "attitude problem" with Kenny Shiels and I think he has, quite literally, got a bit of bad press.

Up until a couple of months before he parted company with Killie, all his interviews are what you want/expect from the manager of any club...standing up for his club, players, staff and the work he was doing with the team in general.  A couple of dodgy referee decisions and the press got a couple of bites from him and they then continued to press his buttons...in fact, I'd go so far as to say they stitched him up.

Granted, he should have had the where with all to see what was going on and take a step back from it, but nobody is perfect and whilst some of his comments might have upset the beaks and the blazers, it was all in defence of those I listed above (and himself).

Aside from his comments about travelling so far north, he's never spoken poorly of Inverness and if you look back over his pre/post match interviews for games against us then he speaks fairly highly of the way we play and go about things as a club.

The "Faith and Football" interview gives a decent insight into the real Kenny Shiels, as do the interviews and articles about the work he did in the community.  It would appear that he spent a LOT of time out and about interacting with, helping and promoting football at all levels....look up references to Kenny Shiels and Youth Football Scotland to see for yourself.

There's some talk about his "5 year plan" and I think Killie were only just starting to really benefit from that.  Given his eagerness to build a team around young players...both home grown and by bringing some in...then I get the feeling his ideas are not a million miles from some of the stuff already in place/progressing at TCS.

I've not pinned my colours to any specific replacement managerial mast, but Kenny Shiels ticks a lot of the boxes on my list of things we should be looking for.  My only question mark is whether or not it's all KS or if the success is in the partnership with Jimmy Nicholl...if it is, then it would need to be a dual appointment.

• Agree 6

Looking at it now I'm probably swaying towards Kenny Shiels. People speak about his outspoken character but I don't think that'd be a huge issue. It wasn't with our previous manager. I'm sure he'd be willing to curb his need to express himself

What I see is in his previous job he looked towards having a young team, hungry. He had the backing of those players as he backed them. This builds the trust. Trust being very important to Richie Foran. See what I'm getting at. Also Killie weren't doing to badly with him in charge. Especially given their debts.
Can we get him and Jimmy Nichols with Foran as player/coach? Think that'd work ok for me.

Failing that, Paul Hartley.

I'm unsure on Yogi. Everyone in Scottish football likes him. He's a top bloke, even for a staunch Hibee which says a lot. I'm just concerned as to whether he's all that great technically.

Kenny Shiels is not outspoken. Kenny Shiels is a man who calls it as he sees it. A one man protest against bad refereeing. Against a bad running of Scottish football and against a bad establishment in general. He became frustrated at the way the smaller team was being treated. he became frustrated at the way the big two dominated the game and controlled the establishment. Unfortunately, the press were always on the side of the big two so they endeavoured to bring the guy down.

Kenny Shiels is passionate about football and even more passionate about the job he does. He wants to see a level playing field for all. Not outspoken, just saying it as he sees it.

That said he would not be my choice. Some of our best times came about by blooding inexperienced managers and there are two or three guys out there who I believe have this club in their blood and who would do a job for us.

Personally, Kenny Sheils would not be my choice for manager of ICT but there is no doubt the he made a positive impact of their fans the majority of them would have him back in an instant.

He led a provincial club with a difficult regime to work under and resourses similar to ours to a cup final victory over Celtic and a respectable league position.

He does strike me as a motivator but he is tactically naive and, while I take his moans about the travails of the A9 with a pinch of salt, he did allow himself to be manipulated by the media to the extent he become a comedy figure.

I think one of the many things Butcher did well was to distance himself from the "Heathmount crowd" adding a more professional approach. I hope whoever is appointed is strong enough to keep that going, Shields would be strong enough I am sure

Only because the taxi cost wouldn't fit into his budget.

• Agree 1

If I can summarise the above it would appear that apart from coming across as an utter gobsh1te in the media and slagging off our geographical location at every opportunity Kenny's a really great guy. My sincere apologies for misrepresenting Kenny in previous posts.

The pro-Sheils media spin doctors are desperate to have rent-a-quote back in work as he gives great copy. A massive whopper but we'll get acres of cringe inducing column inches in the press........dearie me I could almost greet at the prospect.