FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

January Transfer window news

CaleyTennis

I kinda stole this idea from P and B but tbh I try and start one close to the transfer window opening so maybe they stole the idea from me 😛.

Anyway I don't think we'll see much action in this window and tbh we don't really need much, I suspect most of the Dunc rebuild will take place in the summer :).

Imperative that we sign up David Wotherspoon on a longer contract as he has been very influential in our recent excellent run/turn in form.

I'm not sure on 2 of our other loanees (Anderson and Boyes) so will let you guys decide or post your opinions 👍. But on Cillian Sheridan I do think that he will be offloaded as he hasn't contributed to the team in any way which I think DF will have seen during the cup game against Cowdenbeath.

In terms of what is needed, I would say a striker is imperative, preferably one that can score lots of goals though I understand they aren't easy to find, any other bits of business will be a bonus imho but in Dunc we trust 😀.

We really need to get Wotherspoon signed up on a longer deal, and I agree we should let Sheridan go. It was noticeable that Lodovica came on rather than him on Saturday so the decision may already have been made.

Anderson and Boyes are both contributing well so hopefully their clubs don’t recall them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of two fringe players got “released by mutual consent” as we have a very big squad. 

• Agree 2

Well after tonight it's clear that lots of players are not worthy to play for us and need sold because it's just not acceptable anymore!!

Players like Sheridan, Lodovica to name just 2, these 2 are the worst strikers in all of Britain ffs, what the hell Dudds and Robertson saw in them I'll never know!!

If we don't get our fingers out our arses and start signing better players and getting results then we won't be in this league next season!!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

Players like Sheridan, Lodovica to name just 2, these 2 are the worst strikers in all of Britain ffs, what the hell Dudds and Robertson saw in them I'll never know!!

Sheridan came in after Big Dunc became Manager. It was clear he was a risk, hence the short term contract, meaning neither party was stuck with the other if it did not work out.

I’d anticipate him moving on in January but it is vital we keep the other player signed in the same way, Wotherspoon. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Personally think the defence looks fragile even when we win? I'd like a bit of strength there. 

Number one wish though is signing Spoony up till end of season. Hopefully Roddy and Welsh fully fit soon. We also miss Carson badly and hope things improve for him soon so he can return  

• Agree 1

My fear is that we’ve been trying for a while to extend Wotherspoon’s contract and there’s been no announcement of that being successful. Meanwhile he will be attracting attention from clubs closer to home in the central belt.

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

My fear is that we’ve been trying for a while to extend Wotherspoon’s contract and there’s been no announcement of that being successful. Meanwhile he will be attracting attention from clubs closer to home in the central belt.

Closer to home...Canada.

1 hour ago, Satan said:

Closer to home...Canada.

I’ve heard speculation about Canada too, but he was born in Perth and his career has been in Scotland. The Canada link is due to his mother being Canadian.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

I’ve heard speculation about Canada too, but he was born in Perth and his career has been in Scotland. The Canada link is due to his mother being Canadian.

Not heard much of that over here to be honest. Although as his mother is from Winnipeg (affectionately known over here as Winterpeg due to the length of, and insanely low temperatures experienced in, Winter), its unlikely that any potential signing for his 'hometown' Valour FC in the Canadian Premier League would cause any media ripple. It would also not necessarily be a step up in level or in wages so perhaps unlikely. John Herdman who gave him his first Canada cap resigned from the Canada job late last year and is now manager of Toronto FC in MLS. He does have a rebuilding job on his hands after TFC finished dead last in MLS last season, but not sure a 30+ midfielder is top of the list unless he sees him replacing Michael Bradley who retired. Nothing I have heard from any friends who have a closer ear to the ground than me. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Robert said:

I’ve no idea who the trialists were but I’m told one (a striker who’s first name may have been Will) scored twice in a 5-0 win. 

That's not much help to old caley girl Robert.  I thought you might have popped through last night and had a look over the wall :lol:

• Funny 3

33 minutes ago, IBM said:

That's not much help to old caley girl Robert.  I thought you might have popped through last night and had a look over the wall :lol:

I probably wouldn’t have recognised them anyway as I doubt they are famous!

• Funny 2

The best bit of business we can do in January is keeping Wotherspoon. He will be the difference between looking down and looking up.

He’s apparently got a lot of offers that he’s considering but I really hope he’s enjoying his time here, his partnership with Mckay and working under Big Dunc and we can keep him.

Sadly I suspect he will get a more lucrative offer. 

19 minutes ago, Robert said:

The best bit of business we can do in January is keeping Wotherspoon. He will be the difference between looking down and looking up.

He’s apparently got a lot of offers that he’s considering but I really hope he’s enjoying his time here, his partnership with Mckay and working under Big Dunc and we can keep him.

Sadly I suspect he will get a more lucrative offer. 

He brings a bit of quality and creativity to our attacks, in the same way that Bingham did in our promotion season. 

I fear though that, as he’s had plenty of time to accept our and hasn’t, he’s off.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

He brings a bit of quality and creativity to our attacks, in the same way that Bingham did in our promotion season. 

I fear though that, as he’s had plenty of time to accept our and hasn’t, he’s off.

I think you are right the way Dunc talked about his offer and his family commitments I think he will get a better offer nearer home.  If that happens we will have to find another gem!

• Like 1

If we do lose Wotherspoon, I hope MacGregor is soon fully fit and able to play an influential part in the second half of the season. He could well turn out to be a straight replacement for Wotherspoon.

I’d much rather have them both making a full contribution though. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1