FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

January Transfer window news

CaleyTennis

2 hours ago, caleyb said:

If David Weatherspoon is contracted to us until the middle of January how can he be at D std training camp. Do we deduct his wages!!!

If the report was true (which I believe it was), I’d imagine we had agreed to him being there given he is out injured at present. He’s about to be a free agent so it would be churlish of us to be awkward and it’s well known that he’s had plenty of offers.

I suspect nothing will be announced until after Friday’s game.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

In my opinion the only reason David Wotherspoon is not playing in the (Scottish) Premiership this year is that he has lost a bit of pace and sharpness required at that level.  It is clear he is still a very intelligent and classy football player.  He was instrumental in dragging us out of the hole we were in (which hopefully we are not slowly sliding back into) and increasing the performance levels of other players around about him.

Should the move to Dundee Utd materialise, he will almost undoubtedly be on higher wages, with a high probability of winning another medal and (I would imagine) closer to family and he will go with my best wishes!

Hopefully we can uncover an unlikely gem to fill his boots in the second half of the season.  I'd say prior to his arrival Keith Bray was our most promising player of the season....would like to see him getting more game time in the next few months.

Looking at the table, can't help but feeling what an opportunity this season was/is to at least make the play-offs.  Even despite our horrendous start to the season and our recent poor run of results, we are still not that far away from 4th position.  I don't want to give up all hope of Highland Derby play-off final just yet!....

Edited by robbo1985
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, robbo1985 said:

In my opinion the only reason David Wotherspoon is not playing in the (Scottish) Premiership this year is that he has lost a bit of pace and sharpness required at that level.  It is clear he is still a very intelligent and classy football player.  He was instrumental in dragging us out of the hole we were in (which hopefully we are not slowly sliding back into) and increasing the performance levels of other players around about him.

Should the move to Dundee Utd materialise, he will almost undoubtedly be on higher wages, with a high probability of winning another medal and (I would imagine) closer to family and he will go with my best wishes!

Hopefully we can uncover an unlikely gem to fill his boots in the second half of the season.  I'd say prior to his arrival Keith Bray was our most promising player of the season....would like to see him getting more game time in the next few months.

Looking at the table, can't help but feeling what an opportunity this season was/is to at least make the play-offs.  Even despite our horrendous start to the season and our recent poor run of results, we are still not that far away from 4th position.  I don't want to give up all hope of Highland Derby play-off final just yet!....

I'd agree in terms of Bray, defo needs more game time. If we got MacGregor back to what he was two seasons ago, then those two plus Anderson, Gilmour, Welsh [if he stayed fit], Longstaff and Shaw...plus Carson., would give us enough in midfield with creativity and energy to more than compensate for Wotherspoon going [but thanks for his goals].  But we need another decent striker to support/stand-in for Billy. Ideally one that could hold the ball up {a hybrid Sutherland/Todorov]

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, robbo1985 said:

Aye if it wasn't for that horrendous start to the campaign we'd be right in that top 4 or thereabouts 

• Like 1

Top 4 is optimistic but as ever its a tight league so a good run and decent signings we are probably around a similar level to everyone excluding DUtd, PT and RR.

From an entertainment perspective beating Morton last game of the regular season in a winner takes all shoot out for 4th would be pleasing before getting back to winning ways against Raith in the play-off semi would be hilarious. Especially as fans from both teams seem intent on gloating about how impressive they are this season.......suppose if you're starved of success for generations a few wins in the lower leagues is a bight beacon.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Super Caley Man 94 said:

Aye if it wasn't for that horrendous start to the campaign we'd be right in that top 4 or thereabouts 

We're a mid table Championship club. That's our level. Averaging 2K home crowds. We have repeatedly failed to be anything more than that. We are on a level with the rest of the teams in the bottom half of the Championship. We are miles off Ross County, admittedly due to Uncle Roy's money, but a fact is a fact. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Super Caley Man 94 said:

I doubt that as we haven't got the quality in the squad that Partick and Raith and United have got, although we're probably on a par with the rest. Given that Dodds got only 1 point in 6 games and Dunc has got 20 in 14, you would have to have won all 6 to be in the top 4 right now.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I doubt that as we haven't got the quality in the squad that Partick and Raith and United have got, although we're probably on a par with the rest. Given that Dodds got only 1 point in 6 games and Dunc has got 20 in 14, you would have to have won all 6 to be in the top 4 right now.  

If we had won all 6 surely we’d be second 3 pts off the top?

a win against Raith and Utd drops their points down to 41 and 38. Our first 6 gives us 17 extra points giving us 38 joint with Utd.

Not that this was ever likely.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Duke of Inverness said:

We're a mid table Championship club. That's our level. Averaging 2K home crowds. We have repeatedly failed to be anything more than that. We are on a level with the rest of the teams in the bottom half of the Championship. We are miles off Ross County, admittedly due to Uncle Roy's money, but a fact is a fact. 

2k crowds,  you obviously haven't been down in a long time.

I'd hate to see actual attendance stats for the past season or two. Going by the level of support we're not even championship. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Satan said:

I'd hate to see actual attendance stats for the past season or two. Going by the level of support we're not even championship. 

I always felt we were around the 1500 mark. If it’s below that then it’s poor.

42 minutes ago, Satan said:

Going by what comes over the tannoy at home games. 

Next game, I'll count those in attendance. Will likely be more interesting than the football match. 

• Funny 1

13 minutes ago, Duke of Inverness said:

Next game, I'll count those in attendance. Will likely be more interesting than the football match. 

Don’t do it on Friday: there will be a big away crowd so we will probably have an announcement saying something between 2500 and 3000. 

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Duke of Inverness said:

It’s a bit of a con, but it seems that we count tickets sold rather than bodies turning up, and we’re not the only club doing it. So all season tickets are counted. I’ve got one but it hardly gets used. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

It’s a bit of a con, but it seems that we count tickets sold rather than bodies turning up, and we’re not the only club doing it. So all season tickets are counted. I’ve got one but it hardly gets used. 

I wonder if they count the ones the give to kids playing in our youth set up too? 

• Thoughtful 1

36 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

It’s a bit of a con, but it seems that we count tickets sold rather than bodies turning up, and we’re not the only club doing it

Whys it a con? The seats are sold, they can't be resold so whether empty on the day or not its still a ticket sale and that person is entitled to turn up or otherwise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Whys it a con? The seats are sold, they can't be resold so whether empty on the day or not its still a ticket sale and that person is entitled to turn up or otherwise.

Because by definition a "crowd" or "attendance" is the number of people who actually turn up to the event.  The number of tickets sold is something different.  If you buy a ticket and don't go, you are not part of the crowd.

• Funny 1

5 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Perhaps, to satisfy some they might not use the phrase ' today's attendance'

• Like 2
  • Thoughtful 1

13 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Oooh...can I borrow it for the Dunfermline game mid-week in Feb , I'm flying up especially for it 😊

It’s confirmed that David Wotherspoon will be joining Dundee United when his short term contract with us expires early next week.

Unfortunate but inevitable given his performances and his family being in that area.

Story here:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/4859686/dundee-united-sign-david-wotherspoon-st-johnstone/

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

A rational decision by Wotherspoon. Like many footballers reaching the end of their contracts the big question is what happens next if you fail to get another contract or retire and do not have alternative means. It was great watching him help us move off the bottom. 

• Like 1