FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

A fitting tribute from Robbie Williamson...........................

Alex MacLeod

..............................and one that Zander should be proud of. Heed the advice young man and you'll go far.

STOLEN FROM THE COURIER

Sutherland tipped to be an ICT star

Published:  06 June, 2008

Zander Sutherland

PATIENCE will determine if Zander Sutherland can make a name for himself with Caley Thistle in the SPL.

That is the view of Elgin City manager Robbie Williamson, who is adamant the 20-year-old is more than capable of coping with life in the top tier of Scottish football.

Sutherland spent eight months on loan at Borough Briggs and the former Clach boss Williamson feels he is now ready to establish himself as a regular in Caley Thistle's first-team having graduated from the school of hard knocks that is Division Three with flying colours.

Displaying all the traits of an archetypal old-fashioned winger, Sutherland was often the main focus of the opposition's attentions in their attempts to stop him from influencing a game.

This led to him having to adapt his own game to cope, but under the tutelage of Williamson he thrived and was even listed as one of the four nominees for Division Three PFA Player of the Year awards at the end of last season after making 32 appearances for Elgin and scoring three goals.

Having agreed a new one-year deal on his return to Inverness in April, Sutherland is clearly part of manager Craig Brewster's plans for next season and Williamson is backing him to make the breakthrough, so long as he remains patient.

"I think he knows now that he has a great chance to make it at Caley Thistle," said former Ross County player Williamson. "The fact that Craig Brewster offered him a new contract should be just the confidence boost he needs, but the most important thing is that Zander has to be patient.

"He has to accept that it will be a little bit different for him next season in that he might not be playing every week like he did with us at Elgin.

"If he can accept that and get on with it then he'll do fine because I have no doubt that he possesses most of the attributes required to make it in the SPL.

"I think he's toughened up a lot and his overall game had certainly changed by the time he left us. He does have to work a little bit on his final ball, but I'm sure Craig will help him improve on that in pre-season."

Confidence and ability has never been in doubt for anyone who knows, or who has watched, Sutherland in his brief cameo roles for Caley Thistle, but it is whether or not he possess the physical attributes to cope with life in the SPL.

Williamson, however, is in no doubt that having seen some of the treatment dished out to Sutherland last season, he is now full prepared to become a regular fixture in the Caley Thistle line-up.

"When Zander first came to us I simply told him to go out on a Saturday and enjoy himself," he said. "However, once the word got out on the type of player Zander was then we had to change his game a bit.

"He had to realise that he couldn't get the ball all the time because teams were just doubling up on him, so this meant he had to work hard on other parts of his game like chasing back and making runs to allow his team-mates more space.

"The experience of playing for us has certainly made him a better all-round player and I think Craig Brewster could see that when he came to watch a few of our games."

Williamson was sorry to see Sutherland go, but he will be keeping a close eye on the winger's progress upon his return to Caley Thistle.

"Zander is a marvellous player to work with and I know that our supporters really appreciated what he brought to the team last season," he added.

"Any time he got the ball there would be an instant buzz about the stands simply because you never quite knew what he was going to do.

"He really is a typical old fashioned winger, but the most pleasing aspect is that any time he was tackled, or he was fouled, he would get up and just get on with it. There's no doubt everyone at Elgin will miss Zander next season, especially the fans, because he did a great job for us."

This season is definitely the time to give him a few chances from the bench, likewise Garry Wood. Regular football at Forfar did a lot for Barry Robson and although these boys will be making a bigger jump to the SPL, we need to know if our youth system is discovering and moulding players of SPL standard - we struggle too much to attract good players to rely wholly on the transfer market.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest *Caley*

I'm sure he is more than up for the challenge and knows this is a huge season for him.  Best of luck to him - he's been working hard so deserves to be rewarded for it.  Just have to wait and see!!