FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

World's Best Beer and Worst Beer

culduthel

Living in Auckland means that I miss out on easy access to some great British Beers ( although the Kiwis can and do brew some pretty good stuff over here ).

The one beer I miss the most is Theakstons Old Peculiar - on tap ( Plumbers Arms, Victoria, London and many other places I'm sure ). Have tasted some beers around the world that come close but not as good.

What's the World's best beer? Old Peculiar gets my vote!

And the World's worse beer has to be - a Bud !

Calders cream is pretty near the top for me, John Smiths is good too but i'm not into the real ale stuff, gives me the s***s.

Worst has to be Tesco value lager, not that i've bought it... i was given a wee glass at an O.A.P.s House which was at room temp yechhhh.

Personally, I don't consider lager as proper beer anyway, except perhaps for some of the Belgium ones. Living here in south Englandshire, we are spoiled for choice with good real ales. Some of my favourites are Greene King's 'Old Speckled Hen', and Marston's 'Tanglefoot', but there are loads of others I wouldn't turm my nose up at.

I remember Marston Pedigree, Theakstons Old Peculier and Martson Owd Roger from my university days .... feckin rocket fuel one and all in terms of getting you drunk and hungover.

I also worked in a bar in London for about a year where the IPA was regarded as one of the best in the capital, the bar owner was an old lady who was very particular about her beers and her husband was head trainer for Bass Charrington in the east end (at Silvertown in the docklands - now gone I believe). He prepared and tapped all the barrels each weekend and made sure all the lines were perfect. It really was a pure pint and people came from miles around to sample it. Its a shame to note that most of the brands from Bass are now owned by Coors which also owns Molson here in Canada and that ales for export are brewed by Anheuser Busch.

In Canada, my beer of choice is Alexander Keiths, a Nova Scotian lager that is as close to a decent Scottish lager that I have tasted. Some bars do have Tennents but it tastes foul. Not sure if its the Tennents itself, or the fact that it is a lookalike beer which is "brewed under license". If I cant get Keiths, I will usually opt for Stella or Molson Canadian (I dont touch Labatts). When shopping at the Beer Store or LCBO (Beer Store just sells beer, LCBO is like an off license - they dont sell alcohol in supermarkets over here), I usually grab some Keiths but have also been known to indulge in Innis & Gunn, Caledonian 80/-, Tuborg, Stella, Creemore, Amsterdam Blonde, Sleemans or such like. Canada has a pretty vibrant "micro" and "craft" brewery community so there are loads of decent ones to try in amongst the mass produced stuff.

post-2-1223386098.jpg

The absolute worst "beer" I have tried is "Scotch Ale" a malted drink that I had one sip of and poured down the sink. It is foul, foul, foul.

post-2-1223386107.jpg

Best beer : that first chilled pint after a day in the sun. Could be anything really.

Worst beer : Guinness made in Mauritius. Went there on honeymoon, and my boss (who'd spent some time out there) said "whatever you do, don't try the Guinness". So obviously I had to.

It was just foul, undrinkable stuff. The barman laughed and told me nobody finishes it. It's as if it gets exported as syrup and at the local bottling plant they don't realise they are supposed to diulte it. Yuk.

I'd agree that in hot climates any cold lager is appreciated and not necessarily just the first.

Where I live the best is John Smiths but you need to know which bar sells enough to pour a decent pint.

Worst would be any lager (this is not a hot climate).

I am no culture vulture, but I enjoy a bottle of Newcastle Brown here and there, except it makes me pee a lot for some reason. The odd pint of Guiness is mighty fine too.

If going on a night out, I was a Budweiser man the last 10-12 yrs, but decided on Saturday it was time for a change. So decided to give Corona a go. Quite pleasant, except the dregs are a bit yuk

I personally love Tennants so lang as it's really cold,(like most lagers) Theakstons is braw but ya fall over too early in the evening, so no an affy sociable drink.Worst has to be thon Breaker lager that was about in the 80's or Carsberg Special brew which taste like hairspray, way too strong to be drinkable :rotflmao:

Real Ale isn't to everyone's taste and it was only in recent years (around 1989) when I was weened off lager. Down here it is was Carling Black Label which is all over the place now. We also have the rancid Brew XI. Other poor one's in my distant past would include icons such as Watney's Red Barrel and Worthington E.

Real Ale showed me the way forward. There are thousands of differant ale's out there, some weak, some very strong. I know most folk enjoy their Tennants et al but its worth trying a differant real ale now again. A good barman will let you have a wee taste of an ale before you commit yourself to something you don't like. If he doesn't allow you a sample then take your money elsewhere.

Best one's for me are Caledonian Deuchars IPA, Orkney Dark Island, Cairngorm Trade Winds, Skye Red Cuillin and Fullers London Pride.

And the worst...any 'nitro keg' such as the cream flow and cold beers. Youngers Tartan is also vomit inducing to me.

I always cringe when folk ask for Stella. Don't get me wrong here, I used to drink this stuff when it was imported. Unfortunately it became so popular that they started to brew it in England......in Luton FFS. It doesn't taste the same anymore, honestly.

With referance to a cold beer in hot weather then I like nothing better than cooling pint of Cider.

The Best kinda Beer is a free one :rotflmao:

I discovered a few years ago that my major hangovers were the result of drinking lager and/or beer so I seldom drink it these days...the only exception to that is Guiness for some reason, and if I'm only having the one drink then I'll have a pint of lager.

I know it ain't a beer but cannae whack Kopparberg's Pear Cider.

Beautiful Stuff.

Favourite beer would be Miller or Budweiser.

Tennents being the worst.

I've just noticed your avatar Kev.

That's a large Glenlivet you owe me.