FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

SPL Reserve Teams To Be Scrapped?

kencar

Taken from Teletext today....

The Scottish Premier League have confirmed they are considering scrapping reserve football next season.

Top-flight reserve football has been part of the game for more than half a century and its abolition could see up to 100 players released by SPL clubs.

SPL marketing and communications manager Greig Mailer said: "It's a little too premature to say it will be scrapped but it's under review."

from a financial point of view I can understand the idea of scrapping it

from a developmental point of view however, the idea is ludicrous ..... the natural progression for youngsters is youth -> U19 -> reserves -> first team and for injured or off-form players, the reserves can be a place to get their match fitness or form back. A backward step if they do cancel it which may well do a lot of damage to the game.

Oh well, if Scottish football wasn't already at it lowest ebb it certainly will be soon. How the heck do clubs develop their promising youngsters when there's nowhere for them compete. SPL = clowns.

Guest Spectre

If this is indicative of the financial position of the SPL, it isn't surprising that the club is (as some have suggested) keen to cut back.

The SFL already has its own reserve league, not always playing full-time players but they use it to develop younger players too as well as playing those coming back from injury

Caley Thistle could actually turn this into a positive ..... If it happens, how about asking the HFL about the reserves competing in the Highland League ? It has been mentioned before, but might be a good option

Caley Thistle could actually turn this into a positive ..... If it happens, how about asking the HFL about the reserves competing in the Highland League ? It has been mentioned before, but might be a good option

I'd be worried that that might sound the death Knell for Clach,.

Thats a good idea from our point of view but doubt the other teams would be too happy about it happening, although wouldn't the reserves would have to sign for in the Highland league which would make it awkward if they're needed in the first team?

Edited by Iain

Aberdeen put up the idea of scrapping the reserve league about 6 weeks ago, due to costs.

They play their second string games, I think, at Montrose, so I suppose they have travel costs for every game.

It is difficult, however, looking in from the outside, to understand how an SPL team can do without a reserve team.

Where do the 'almost' players play, the recovering players play? We are in the middle of potential signings, where better to see their potential than in a well contested reserve match.

However if the clubs financial whizz-kids were to come on here, I feel sure we would be surprised at the saving this move may make financially for the club. Money towards another good player perhaps?

We must also have high travel costs due to our geographic position with travel to the central belt very financially onerous for us. Do they, for instance, do a reserve game in a one day outing, I wonder?

I'd be worried that that might sound the death Knell for Clach,.

Or the saving of them if THEY became our reserve team :rotflmao:

I think it was back in the days of the SFL that our reserves played the 'spare' team from the Highland on some Saturdays. The HL, as now, had 15 teams leaving one team doing nothing for the day. I believe it worked quite well.

I also recall that the HL dismissed any idea of ICT Res (and County for that matter) from ever joining the HL. It was a kind of..'You left and you arn't coming back no matter what' policy.

The under 21 League they scrapped not so long ago you mean?

Yes the very one - you're catching on to sarcasm!

It's hard to detect sarcasm when talking online to be fair, didn't look sarcastic.

Stupid idea surely with the new multi-mullion pund sky deal for the scottish cup coming in a couple of seasons it could be kept till then and then kept afloat by all this new money as this contract was supposed to be worth bout ?60/65 million a lot of money that can't just be dished out in prize money.

Stupid idea surely with the new multi-mullion pund sky deal for the scottish cup coming in a couple of seasons it could be kept till then and then kept afloat by all this new money as this contract was supposed to be worth bout ?60/65 million a lot of money that can't just be dished out in prize money.

Divide it by two and what's left for the remaining 10 teams?

Could we not use Elgin, Brechin, Peterhead or whoever as a feeder side. Loan out more promising kids they to get the next step in their development?

I do think that removal of the reserves could be deprimental to the top end game in Scotland. Maybe downsized somehow but to scrap it altogether would be daft.