FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

All-time Highlanders XI

Yngwie

Inspired by the discussion on how good or bad an ICT team with more Highland players would be, who are the best players ever to be produced by the Highlands?

A few names that spring to mind:

Kevin MacDonald

Donald Park

Duncan Shearer

John McGinlay

Steven Pressley

Eric Black

Charlie Christie

but there must be loads more.

I don't think Eric Black (Glasgow) or Steven Pressley (Elgin) could be considered Highland.

I don't think the Highland line takes in Elgin and Black may have Highland connections but pretty sure he was born in Glasgow.

Stewart Houston Man u & Scotland was born in Argyll though

Just a few....

Jupie Mitchell - although greatly (and rightly) remembered as part of the great Caley teams of the late 40's early 50's he also played for the Jags where in the 1954-55 season he scored 77 goals....can't say I ever saw him play but you have to be a fairly decent player to do that....

Jim Calder - remember him....

Peter Corbett - not a bad player indeed....

Davie Milroy - another very decent centre-half....

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

I agree with all of them, lets not forget

Danny Macdonald, Jag and Caley still with club on youth side... (Hilton)

Mark Mcrichie (spellings shocking) (Ness)

Rob Willimson (Ferry)

Me

Jupie Mitchell - although greatly (and rightly) remembered as part of the great Caley teams of the late 40's early 50's he also played for the Jags where in the 1954-55 season he scored 77 goals....can't say I ever saw him play but you have to be a fairly decent player to do that....

Definitely one of the greats I remember from the wonderful Caley team of the early 50s. And, as you say, still a great goalscorer when he moved 'up the hill'. You cannot mention Mitchell without his side kick in the Caley team, 'Ginger' McKenzie. And, a little later there was the great Willie Grant of Elgin. All of these would grace our current ICT side with distinction.

Guest Caberfeidh

Ted MacDougal who was on the fringes of the Scotland team in the early 70's.

I think Ted actually played for Scotland a few times in the seventies, now a millionaire (?) in Canada .

Not bad for a local lad.

Ted MacDougal who was on the fringes of the Scotland team in the early 70's.

I think Ted actually played for Scotland a few times in the seventies, now a millionaire (?) in Canada .

Not bad for a local lad.

From last year's "This Football Day" article on Ted - scoring nine goals in a match and a summary of the rest of his career....could do with a player like him up front tomorrow in our Scottish Cup tie.... :rotflmao:

November 20th - Mac o'Nine Tails

TED MacDougal might sound more like a resident of Craggy Island than a record-breaking footballer, but today in 1971 the Bournemouth striker went goal-crazy, bagging nine goals in an FA Cup tie against non-league Margate.

SuperMac didn?t waste much time against the Gate, scoring five in the first half before completing his treble hat-trick after the break as Bournemouth romped to an 11-0 win. The nine goal haul remains the most goals scored by a single player in an FA Cup match.

The Scottish striker was something of a journeyman. Racking up ten clubs in a 24-year career, he was nothing if not prolific. After being released by Liverpool as a 20-year-old he made a name for himself at York City, scoring 40 goals in two seasons and earning a ?10,000 move to the club that was then known as Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic.

A three year spell at Dean Court was goal-packed, with many of them trademark diving headers. Proving he had a taste for the FA Cup, a year before his exploits against Margate, MacDougal put six past Oxford City in an 8-1 win.

After three seasons and 126 goals SuperMac left the now-rebranded AFC Bournemouth for the heady lights of Old Trafford in a ?200,000 move. With United struggling to replace Sir Matt Busby the club looked to blood in a new generation of stars as legends like Denis Law and Bobby Charlton were past their best and George Best?s boozing was becoming more and more of a problem.

A forgettable season at United saw MacDougal move to West Ham, but after a dressing room punch up with Billy Bonds following a defeat to Leeds United, he was on his bike again. Spells at Norwich and Southampton followed, where he got back on the goal bandwagon, before he returned to Dean Court for two seasons.

After a year in America at NASL side Detroit Express SuperMac spent his final season by the seaside at Blackpool and hung up his boots with a record of 259 goals in 542 games.

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

Aye Kingsmills, Ted MacDougal, good shout !

Probably Scottish footballs most succesful Highlander.

I remember him scoring in the Home Internationals v N. Ireland on the Wednesday night before the disaterous 5-1 game at Wembley in '75. I'm 99% sure he played in that game too.

Also scored against Denmark in the European Championships at Hampden.