FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

John Hartson

caleyrule

I bring even more sad news, after putting on the forum that Colin Hendry's wife has died

Now, i have just found out that John Hartson has been diagnosed with has testicular cancer and that it has spread to his brain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ain-cancer.html

I thought this was a joke at first. Poor chap. Doesn't look good I guess?

Oh wow, thats horrendous news. Here's hoping that he can come through it, but whenever I hear the words "cancer" and "spread" in the same sentence I am never optimistic.

News like this also tends to put the petty squabbles and arguments we have on here into stark perspective

he's a good guy.

he has a grate footballing mind.

my thoughts are with him and his family.

when i think about it i get a lump in the back of my throat.

he's a strong man.

he can keep going.

I have also had testicular cancer so I would like to tell you a few things about it.

While it is very aggressive, it is one of the most treatable cancers about. In my case it had spread to my lungs. I had the tesitcle removed followed by 4 months of chemo. This was over 10 years ago, my understanding is the treatment these days is much better.

While it is a concern that it has spread to his brain, this is also very treatable. Remember Lance Armstrong also had testicular cancer that had spread to his brain and he is currently running 3rd in the Tour de France.

Commonly this strikes males from the age of 28.

Best thing to do lads, is keep your eye on the ball.

Best of luck to John, I certainly appreciate that it is a frightening time, and while I don't have all the details of his case, the statistics are firmly in his favour for a full recovery

Thanks for sharing that particularly personal story Gabby. Lets hope that JH can have a similar success story. Dont think he will ever be in the Tour De France though :mellow:

:lol: :025: Gabby for sharing that with us. Glad to hear you made a recovery from it.

Yes and I would re-iterate what Gabby has said. Testicular cancer is one of the most virulent cancers but it is also one of the most treatable with excellent success rates. It is most common in the 20 to 39 age group with 26 to 30 being the worst.

Every male should learn how to check themselves over and learn what to look for. The slightest changes should make you seek a doctor.

Have a read here