FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Team for Queens

Renegade

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because sometimes things run their courses thats why. I don't always buy into this whole "If it ain't broken..." argument anyway. Man U very rarely play the same team twice in a row and I wouldn't describe them as being broken.

So you'd drop Duncan, who's just played a couple of blinders (Motherwell & Raith) to bring Lionel in?

This isn't one of your better wind ups, Ren

Well I'm from the school of 'If it ain't broken...' so same again for me please.

There wasn't much broken about the old 2-3-5 formation, but it's hardly every used now.

Because sometimes things run their courses thats why. I don't always buy into this whole "If it ain't broken..." argument anyway. Man U very rarely play the same team twice in a row and I wouldn't describe them as being broken.

So you'd drop Duncan, who's just played a couple of blinders (Motherwell & Raith) to bring Lionel in?

This isn't one of your better wind ups, Ren?

First point - perhaps

Second point - I don't do wind ups, I post what I would do and if that's "alternative" or against the grain then so be it.

I think your missing Renegade's point. Doesn't have to be someone on form, but just a couple of player who never played great, like dropping Sanchez for Odhiambo.

Cox is ok now and available for selection this week.

Going to be a wee headache for Butch, Russell played well last saturday, will he keep his place, i think he should.

Also think sandshoes should start.

I think your missing Renegade's point. Doesn't have to be someone on form, but just a couple of player who never played great, like dropping Sanchez for Odhiambo.

In his team selection he's got Russel on the bench and Lionel playing in midfield....

There wasn't much broken about the old 2-3-5 formation, but it's hardly every used now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :)

Without reading up on this I will guarentee you the reason that they no longer play 2-3-5 is because of wingers and attacking full backs....if they only had 2 in defence then there is no one to cover the wide areas and the opposing team would see this and overload it

Not necessarily so. The main point of the formation was that if you keep attacking, the other side would be shut out and thus couldn't play a counter attack. Also, despite having two centre backs, the two half backs in the middle, along with the central player would come back when the other team attacked essentially creating a defensive back five. It was a formation like this that helped people like Stanley Matthews and Puskas being the greats they are referred to today.

But it's not just that, the idea of football at that time, was to out score your opponent, something I and many others believe football should be about. The stance now is "Don't concede". I've spoken to a few folk about this set up, one who played as a winger for Caley and Thistle and he swears that this system was by far the best, the most entertaining and the most effective.

How effective would the 2-3-5 and other old formation like the W-M and the 4-2-4 today? It's hard to say. I saw a good analogy on this in a discussion on football tactics on P&B. One poster was talking about how new tactics arise in countries that are mainly isolated from the outside world. An example of this is North Korea, who, during the Asian World Cup Qualifiers often set up their team in the 3-3-3-1 formation - something that is indeed very unusual. The analogy the poster used, was that at times highly technologically advanced countries like America and Britain have trouble adapting to fighting against groups like al Qaeda, due to the fact they use far less technology and still use many old fashioned ways of living and fighting. The same could be said for football. If a team were to line up in an old fashioned formation with old fashioned tactics (in this case for arguments sake, the 2-3-5), the opposition may find it difficult to beat that team due to their lack of knowledge on how to beat that system.

So there you are, but that's for another thread. :lol:

Not necessarily so. The main point of the formation was that if you keep attacking, the other side would be shut out and thus couldn't play a counter attack. Also, despite having two centre backs, the two half backs in the middle, along with the central player would come back when the other team attacked essentially creating a defensive back five. It was a formation like this that helped people like Stanley Matthews and Puskas being the greats they are referred to today.

But it's not just that, the idea of football at that time, was to out score your opponent, something I and many others believe football should be about. The stance now is "Don't concede". I've spoken to a few folk about this set up, one who played as a winger for Caley and Thistle and he swears that this system was by far the best, the most entertaining and the most effective.

How effective would the 2-3-5 and other old formation like the W-M and the 4-2-4 today? It's hard to say. I saw a good analogy on this in a discussion on football tactics on P&B. One poster was talking about how new tactics arise in countries that are mainly isolated from the outside world. An example of this is North Korea, who, during the Asian World Cup Qualifiers often set up their team in the 3-3-3-1 formation - something that is indeed very unusual. The analogy the poster used, was that at times highly technologically advanced countries like America and Britain have trouble adapting to fighting against groups like al Qaeda, due to the fact they use far less technology and still use many old fashioned ways of living and fighting. The same could be said for football. If a team were to line up in an old fashioned formation with old fashioned tactics (in this case for arguments sake, the 2-3-5), the opposition may find it difficult to beat that team due to their lack of knowledge on how to beat that system.

:lol: That post actually made me laugh out loud here!! I'm not sure if that made sense in your own head!

And 'It was a formation like this that helped people like Stanley Matthews and Puskas being the greats they are referred to today' Yeah Lionel Dejebi-Zadi is just not being played in the right system...put him on the left midfield in a ridiculas formation and he will become a world footballing legend.

well at least you think it would work and that's the important thing..

I play amateur football against a lot of unorganised teams and when they are down by a couple of goals they probaby revert to a similar 2-3-5 (i.e. all out attack) and it just makes it easier for us to pick them off.... there is a very good reason you don't see managers even considering this type of formation

:lol: That post actually made me laugh out loud here!! I'm not sure if that made sense in your own head!

And 'It was a formation like this that helped people like Stanley Matthews and Puskas being the greats they are referred to today' Yeah Lionel Dejebi-Zadi is just not being played in the right system...put him on the left midfield in a ridiculas formation and he will become a world footballing legend.

I never said anything about playing Lionel in that formation, but he could be used more effectively.

And anyway, instead their baseball forum for you somewhere? :lol:

well at least you think it would work and that's the important thing..

I play amateur football against a lot of unorganised teams and when they are down by a couple of goals they probaby revert to a similar 2-3-5 (i.e. all out attack) and it just makes it easier for us to pick them off.... there is a very good reason you don't see managers even considering this type of formation

I never really said it would work, just acknowledging the fact that it did then. I did hear somewhere of Hughes thinking about using it for Man City at the start of the season, but that might of been a joke.............it probably was.

Edited by Renegade

Rene - for you to pick jimmy zadi shows you dont go to alot of games.

My selection, id be happy to see Duncan start and Cox to be on the bench. Also, Sanchez has to come in to start and Eric on the bench, to come on as the supersub and run at the defence.

Eric had a couple of good chances to strike on saturday, but then preferred to play a wide ball - this indicates to me a little short on confidence then which worries me, as there isnt time now for him to get a good run to sort it.

Actually I go to every home game, but anyway I don't to answer anyone about who I choose.

Edited by Renegade

Actually I go to every home game, but anyway I don't to answer anyone about who I choose.

lol, your the boss eh!

Anyway its always a laugh looking at your team selections, I dont know if you get a 2 year old to randomly draw names out of a hat but its good for a laugh.

Hey, dont be going all defensive on me neeb! Its good you go to the home games, i go to the away and catch as many home games as i can. Makes me no better than you.

Point im making is i notice in some matchday posts, lets take Killie away in the cup last week, where everyone at the game seen Lionel have another absolute howler - and i have never been his worst critic - but you stuck up for him. If you were at the game thats when to make opinions, know what i mean? Thats all i was getting at. Fair play to ya.