FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

What positions do we need to look at now?

davieB

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if Leicester have any more players like Cox and Hayes in their reserves it would be a good shout having a wee look.

If we keep the nucleus of our current team (which must be viewed as key):

I think our priority is a good solid left back. I dont think DZ is good enough defensively and we should let him go and I doubt Golly has the legs to be a 1st choice SPL left back(but might be worth keeping on). I wouldn't want to throw Shinnie in there as he hasn't really played at a high enough level. Might be worth seeing if anyone in the 1st would take him for a season.

I dont think we really need to sign a keeper. We are only looking for a back up so getting someone on loan might be worth looking into perhaps. And even then we might only need to do that if something long term was to happen to Esson.

I think a less advanced creative midfield player would be a good shout. Odi is certainly worth keeping on going be recent performances. Sanchez might also be worth another year.

Another striker and Centre half (Pavels?) would also be good.

I'd take Vigurs back in a heartbeat.

But I'd reitterate keeping the team together.

Completely disagree with the Gollie comments I think he'd manage fine in the SPL.

We should be looking at a central defender and an attacking midfielder. The nucleus of the team (Essen, Gollie, Tokely, Cox, Duncan, Foran, Hayes & Rooney) isn't too bad now - we're just a couple of players short of what we need (plus a few other players/youngsters for backup)

Yeah, this is exactly what you need for an assault on the SPL - 1st Division players. The only one mentioned who is SPL class is Gardyne. He would cost at least ?250k.

Bob Harris is ******* rubbish. The Charlie Mulgrew of the SFL. Can take take a wicked free-kick, can't defend for toffee.

Yeah, this is exactly what you need for an assault on the SPL - 1st Division players. The only one mentioned who is SPL class is Gardyne. He would cost at least ?250k.

Bob Harris is ******* rubbish. The Charlie Mulgrew of the SFL. Can take take a wicked free-kick, can't defend for toffee.

250k for Gardyne your having a feckin laugh surely.

250k for Gardyne your having a feckin laugh surely.

Absolutely cal234ey!!

John Rankin only cost us ?65k from county while he was under contract so there is no way they would get ?250k for Gardyne. Rankin not only came through the youth system at Man Utd but also was IMO a better player than Gardyne.

I reckon County would be lucky to get up ?75k for one of there players

He is under contract at County until 2012 and is in the running for player of the year. Of course County should hold out for ?250k. They don't need the money so aren't exactly going to let him go for a ?75k bid are they?

Compairing the sales and abilities of Rankin and Gardyne against each other is foolish. Two completely different players and in two completely different contractual circumstances.

Rankin, when he was sold, was under contract and Gardyne is currently under contract, dont see how their contract situations are in anyway different.

In an ideal world they would hold out for ?250k but i dont think that he would go for as much as that if he was sold. Bare in mind he was signed on a free so any money they make will be a nice profit.

I honestly dont think any player in the SFL would command a fee of ?250k, especially when the likes of Griffiths and Harkins (also both nominated for player of the year) cost ?125k and ?150k respectively while both under contract.

Rankin, when he was sold, was under contract and Gardyne is currently under contract, dont see how their contract situations are in anyway different.

Feel free to correct me but I'm pretty certain Rankin had a year left on his current contract and Gardyne currently has 2. That's the point I was trying to make, obviously not very well. A player on a longer contract usually commands a higher fee.

My point about them being different players stands however.

Feel free to correct me but I'm pretty certain Rankin had a year left on his current contract and Gardyne currently has 2. That's the point I was trying to make, obviously not very well. A player on a longer contract usually commands a higher fee.

They may have had differing time left on their contract but the fact remains that they were under contract and at SFL level i dont think this would affect transfer value too drastically.

They may be different players in terms of ability/personalities/hair-cuts etc but there are a lot of similarities between them, position, history, potential, ambition etc. I believe that theire transfer fees would be around the same if Gardyne was to leave this season.

IMO if he moves it would be for no more than ?100k

At the end of the day if he does move, whether its ?10, ?1mil or ?10mil he is a good player which i reckon could fit into our team well in behind rooney. Whether he is sold remains to be seen and we'll just have to wait and see

Back to the topic, I think we could do with someone like Gardyne, a centre half, a right mid and cover at left back if Golly gets injured or suspended

So, now we're back....how many new additions d'you think we'll need to make?

Pretty much need cover all over the pitch I reckon, especially up front.

Might be worth seeing if Harkins and that wee ***** at Dundee fancy playing SPL football next season....can't think of anyone else they've got who'd be good enough. Oh, wait a sec, Brian kerr :D :lol::lol:

We'll no doubt lose 3 or 4 players to "bigger " clubs. I'd be very surprised if we keep any one of the Rooney, Foran and Hayes triumvirate. :(

I doubt Foran will leave. He'll go where ever butcher goes

Guest Mahonio

Ok getting more serious now after my Cowie attempt which no-one commented on, damn!!

Andy Jackson or Colin Samuel of St Johnstone and the list goes on but i don't expect all of these to come, these are just some suggestions i have: David Templeton and Scott Robinson of Hearts if they don't get 1st team action or Lee Mair of St Mirren.

Thoughts?

As far as brininging in players, most of those mentioned on this thread are not tested at an SPL level. I would be more happier if we took on players who have played at a higher level. Pavels is the only one i would have right now who has ben mentioned so far.

Im sure TB & Mo have their contacts around the football world who can bring decent freebies to their attention.

Ok getting more serious now after my Cowie attempt which no-one commented on, damn!!

Andy Jackson or Colin Samuel of St Johnstone and the list goes on but i don't expect all of these to come, these are just some suggestions i have: David Templeton and Scott Robinson of Hearts if they don't get 1st team action or Lee Mair of St Mirren.

Thoughts?

No chance

I think most of our money will be or maybe should be put into signing up the most of the out of contract players.

So realistically we should be looking at out of contract players at other clubs and loan signings cos we're no gonna have enough cash to splash on anyone that will improve our squad.

Guest Mahonio

Mahonio your plucking names from thin air. sensible options only please.

Come on man, as you can see i am not good at this :( :blink: ;) :lol:.

Pretty much going with what everyone else is saying on here.

LB- Harris or Morrison

CB- Midhadjuks

AM- Gardyne

Hopefully, Butcher can pull another few gems out of the bag like he did this season.

Is that Maurice Ross much good? I see he's at Beijing Guoan now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but if I were boss I'd be strongly looking at Craig Moore. ICT need a good a good, experienced centre-half and that's what he is. He's also without a club just now after leaving some Greek club. The fact that he and Butcher are also both heavily associated with Rangers could also be an added bonus.

Another centre-back I'd also look at is Matthew Booth the big South African defender. Playing for some South African team just now, but is a massive bloke and seems pretty experienced with spells in Russia and (according to Wikipedia) 24 caps for his country.

Edited by Renegade

I think a few Championship and perhaps Prem loan signings could be in order. Look how well Lukas Jutkewicz has done at Motherwell on loan from Everton this season. And as a Southampton fan I know quite a bit about English league players and Saints players of past and present. Simeon Jackson is a proven goalscorer for Gillingham and they could be relegated this season. Would he prefer SPL to League 2? If we wanted to move Rosscoe into the middle to accomodate a new right back, Graeme Murty is a free agent in the summer. Had a bit of an injury prone season with Saints but when fit he has been our best right back this season. Getting on a bit so might fancy a season or two in the top flight. As a former Saints player and someone not doing very much at Wolves, Andy Surman is a brilliant young player who was voted Saints player of the season 2 years ago when we were in the playoffs and could be an excellent loan signing for Caley, as he appears out of favour at Wolves, having made only 2 starts and a handful of sub appearances, despite them shelling out nearly ?900,000 for him last summer.

• 2 weeks later...