FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Nick Ross

Pedz4king

I think Nick's a good prospect but lacks a bit at this level at the moment. He seems to lack a bit of confidence and ambition. At least 3 times in the 2nd half he had been put in in a good position wide right and won corners by attempting a cross which was clearly going to be blocked. His body language seem to say "job done" but on each occasion taking the defender on could well have led to a clear shooting opportunity or the opportunity to square to someone else and Hamilton will have been happy to concede the corner. And on one occasion where he did have a clear shooting chance he spurned it and squared it to no effect. With a bit more strength and a bit more confidence he could be very effective but boy, do we need Richie back!

He's definitely got a talent and you can't fault his effort. But I'd hope and expect that he's being advised that if he doesn't develop physically over the next year or so he'll end up on the scrapheap, or worse still, at Elgin.

To be fair I think he does look a bit stronger than he did last season.

I think the clap om miter sums up his performance when he was subbed.

I would like to see foran back only because there is too much passing and not enough shooting and that doesnt just apply to Ross, theres at least 6 players who should have the confidence and belief to shoot on site, out of all the players currently available for the left wing position Ross would be my first choice.I would prefer if he was the super sub for Hayes and Sutherland for Rooney though.

We have a flying machine in Hayes but his talent is wasted as more often than not he'll get into a crossing position and then have to switch the ball back to his left foot allowing the defenders to recover

Disagree. With Hayes because he is so fast he can running at a left back on their strong side and then instantly cut inside and attack their weak defensive side with pace. After this he doesn't need to check back.

However Hamilton were being clever. They had two men on him, one trying to force him outside and the other covering in behind the first defender trying to block off any attempt to cut back in.

[ With Hayes because he is so fast he can running at a left back on their strong side and then instantly cut inside and attack their weak defensive side with pace. After this he doesn't need to check back.

However Hamilton were being clever. They had two men on him, one trying to force him outside and the other covering in behind the first defender trying to block off any attempt to cut back in.

I think we can expect to see that happening more with future opponents this season too. Towards the end of last season it was clear teams were adapting to cope with Hayes' threat and managing to contain him more, and given the impact he made against Utd and early against Celtic, SPL teams will already consider him our main threat. Hopefully Odhiambo can maintain the form he showed in pres-season and against Utd so we don't end up trying to channel all our creative play through Hayes.

Re the original post, surely it's counter-productive to start picking on any of our players this early in the season, particularly one so young and inexperienced? Ross has had two decent performances out of his first three SPL starts, which I'd suggest is a decent return. It's unreasonable to expect him to be consistently effective when he has so little experience, particularly when the rest of the team doesn't perform either, and when, as so many people have pointed out, he still has a fair bit of physical developing to do. Don't forget, too, that he wouldn't be in the side if Foran was fit: it's not as if Butcher sees all the hopes of the team resting on his shoulders.

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 1

"Totally agree.... In fact I'd go as far as to suggest Ross was our best player today."

I'm afraid you know nothing about football! case closed.............

He may yet be a great player for I.C.T but today he was poor and looked a boy playing against men.

Edited by collectiveaction
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

To be fair to Nick Ross, whilst not necessarily have a good game IMO he did seem to come more into things a bit more in the second half and I have seen him on a number of occasions have a good game. He certainly wasn't the worst player today, (that was a certain Mr Proctor) but I do think he needs to bulk up a bit.

Totally agree.... In fact I'd go as far as to suggest Ross was our best player today.

I'm afraid you know nothing about football! case closed.............

He may yet be a great player for I.C.T but today he was poor and looked a boy playing against men.

I'm afraid you know nothing about football case closed............

I couldnt believe how long he lasted he should have been hooked at half time. I'm sorry he can either go to the gym and bulk up or he can **** off cos he will not make at a high level if he gets outmuscled as easily as he does currently.

I for one would give Shinnie (a natural left sided player) who has more pace and is stronger should be given chance.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

I couldnt believe how long he lasted he should have been hooked at half time. I'm sorry he can either go to the gym and bulk up or he can **** off cos he will not make at a high level if he gets outmuscled as easily as he does currently.

I for one would give Shinnie (a natural left sided player) who has more pace and is stronger should be given chance.

That's an interesting point. I reckon that every time I've seen Ross have a good game, it's been when he's been on the right. If it is indeed the case that ICT continue with Hayes mainly on the right and with Foran out, then Shinnie (I young player I rate highly BTW) may be a better option.

Is it just me and a very select few on CTO who think nick ross is utter p***?

He was horrible today, he is too slow and weak for this league i think he should hit the gym a lot more.

I think if foran doesn't return i would like to see either shinnie or mcbain to be given a run.

Pedz....

You could have started a thread on any of our players yesterday, inviting others to submit similarly abusive comments.

Remember it is a team game - yesterday the whole feckin team was abysmal - why single out just 1 player?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Lets retitle this thread "Scapegoat". Ross is a youngster who has earned his place but has been thrown in at the deep end becos of injury to Foran. Remember the same thing happened to Rory McAllister and how would you compare Ross to Rory ? I would say that Ross has significantly more promise of making it as a SPL player.

But he needs experience - preferably from the bench - and of course he needs to muscle up - but did we not say the same about Barry Robson - or Obdhiambo - or even Rooney.

Ross is the future of ICT and perhaps the finger of blame should be pointing at several of the "experienced" and seasoned professionals who were playing alongside Ross yesterday. And - here comes Hairy Chibber - as it completely frustates me that we continue to play Ross on his wrong foot. I can appreciate Hayes as he does come inside - but Ross to me is more of yer traditional Scottish right winger who uses his pace to hit the bye line. I would prefer to see Hayes and Ross switch - even fer longer periods in a game - and I can accept that he is just keeping the left berth warm fer Foran and Hayes will be first choice on the right - BUT it has to be horses for courses and ya play individuals to their strength and to the ultimate benefit of the team. TB frustrates me in regard to his apparent tactical reluctance to do this.

• Agree 3

For a moment there I thought we'd resigned Rory!

Give the kid a break! It's his 1st season in the 1st team picture and he's being played out of position. Yes he does need to fill out but again, he's 18. If he tries to bulk up too much now then it will probably be more detrimentle in terms of injuries etc in the future.

Im not too bothered about playing people on different wings. It can work and does for Hayes. He can be devastating when cutting in on his left. However surely it would be of more benefit to play a young unseasoned rookie in his best position and let the slightly more experienced Hayes play on the left? Just a thought. Either that or play Shinnie left side as he seems to have a good cross and weighs in with the odd goal.

I won't have this pick on young Ross nonsense. It's really not on. He can only work with what he's given and no player was anywhere near good enough yesterday as a team.

It really disheartens me when "fans" lay into young prospects like this. No wonder our national game is up feacal creek.

• Agree 1

He was probably our best outfield player yesterday, certainly our best attacing player. The majority of chances in the second half came from his area, he made more space and put more balls into the box than any other attacker. He took the wrong option a couple of times but he made more impact than any other player going forward.

He does need to strengthen himself a bit but he's still relatively young and obviously has talent. I do thinki that Foran needs to come back into the side as he gives us more options but to slate Ross for his performance hyesterday isn't justified, in my opinion.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Won't be closing the thread as we are all entitled to our opinion being voiced on here. However this one seems to be a little mis-guided.

Nick Ross was as good if not better than the rest of the ICT players on the park yesterday.

I'm firmly in the pro-Ross camp for yesterday - thought that was the best I'd seen him play, particularly as stated previously, the second half, when he looked like the only player who was likely to make things happen for us. I've certainly not thought that in previous games, but he impressed me with his keenness and positive attitude yesterday, chasing every ball and putting tackles in which I wouldn't have expected to have seen from previous outings. As for the make-him-get-bigger comments - unfortunately for him it's probably not as easy as that, he's still young and will bulk out naturally in due course - augmented by gym sessions, I would expect! There's no rush - I'd rather a slender but talented player who could beat players and put in crosses than a muscley chap with less skill who couldn't.

As for the make-him-get-bigger comments - unfortunately for him it's probably not as easy as that, he's still young and will bulk out naturally in due course - augmented by gym sessions, I would expect!

That's it, right there.

three times yesterday all ross had to do was cross the ball from near the bye line, each time he hit the defender resulting in a corner. from hamiltons point of view this is excellent defending, stopping crosses coming in. from an ict view it is crap not getting the ball past the first defender.

butcher talks the boy up because he has to as he has no one else to play while foran is out injured. as soon as foran comes back he will dissapear to the bench where he belongs.

could he please take odiambo with him. the little black hamilton centre forward gave him a lesson yesterday, receive pass, control ball, hold off defender, bring someone else into play.

odiambo receive pass, take a touch like an elephant, loose ball, pressure back on our defence.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

And this is from a supporter? :shrug:

If he's not the complete player at 18, he can **** off? Unbelievable. He's a squad player that shows some promise. The criticism is way over the top.

• Agree 2

I don't see him staying as a regular this season but he did play well yesterday.

He lacks major pace and he needs tp beef up but he is young and has time on his side just now.

I'd say he needs a full season before he can be properly judged.

after reading these coments im assuming your all either players,ex players or football experts!! Nick Ross is 18 years old and still just a boy, remember giggs and more recently Mcgeady they were both very slender at that age, Nick will bulk up and get stronger you can not argue his talents plus its been like three proper games lay of the kid, we should be talking him up, HE WILL BECOME A CALEY LEGEND no dout!!

Edited by caleycaddy
  • Agree 1