Double signing

Libero

Meekings and Shinnie have both agreed to sign two year deals

linky

Paperwork to be completed in the next couple of days

good to see a couple of promising youngsters sign on

Edited by Libero
  • Agree 2

Even though Aldred and Meekings have now signed, I'd still like to see a big, dominating and experienced centre half to come in.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Am I right in saying Meekings has only played 45 minutes against Forres & got a 2 year deal?? Either it was some performance or he's been signed on someone else's recommendation!!

Also is Shinnie a another central midfielder or can he play elsewhere?

Edited by kencar

Am I right in saying Meekings has only played 45 minutes against Forres & got a 2 year deal?? Either it was some performance or he's been signed on someone else's recommendation!!

Meekings played 45 against Clach as well didn't make elgin so not sure if played then.

Must admit not impressed with him up until now.

Not quite, he played 45 minutes against Clach and i think he played the whole game against Forres but yes he was recommended by one Tel's old pals at Ipswich.

I was at the clach game and thought Meekings put in an excellent performance. First came on as a right back and then moved to centre back.. Fair enough his crossing wasn't great but he was keen to get forward, very solid on the ball and didn't panic when put under pressure.

On the other hand, Gilbert played the first half of the clach game and i thought he was clumsy with the ball and without it.

I would rather a dependable defender than an eccentric defender any day!

2 x 45mins for an 18 year old pre-season means very little. He probably has potential and I imagine Terry's young signings will all be back-ups and expected to be starters next year. I think this strategy may work, unless we get injuries, but thats all ifs and buts.

2 x 45mins for an 18 year old pre-season means very little. He probably has potential and I imagine Terry's young signings will all be back-ups and expected to be starters next year. I think this strategy may work, unless we get injuries, but thats all ifs and buts.

When is he going to sign players for this season though, our first 11 at the moment is worse than when we got relegated.

• Agree 2

Oh how I remember everyone (some anyway) asking....... What the **** is he doing fielding Nick Ross n Graham Shinnie blah blah, the man has an eye for young talent. Let's roll with it.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

I'd forgotten Aldred was only on loan for a few months. That is worrying. Meekings is probably on a low wage and one for the future. If Terry can see it in him, then I'll trust his two-year judgement.

If Tade is played in that 4-2-3-1, his job is as much to hold up the ball as well as being the target man. I think that's where he'd have to play in that system. Asking him, Sutherland or Foran to play a poaching role wouldn't work. Unless we get a goal-hanger, I don't think there's any point in playing the traditional two up front. We'll win more by battling and counter-attacking. And natural-born goalscorers are a difficult thing to find.

BTW, I thought we had a pretty good team when we got relegated. Shows what management can do. I'd say this team was at least as good as the 2010/2011 team, probably better:

Esson

Tokely - Mihadjuks - Munro - Hastings

Imrie - Duncan - Black - Morais

Rooney - Foran

Courier says that Gilbert and a striker are expected to arrive later in the week. Says that Cooper and Stevenson are playing against Livingston as well. No mention of Christophe though.

And Duff is carrying on talks over a new deal :rolleyes:

Seems like Big Tel is doing his best to put a decent squad together.

Now would that striker be one coming in to be a trialist or one who Butcher has found and signing thus meaning that he believes that he is good enough that no trial is needed? It seems to hint the latter if it says that the already trialled Kerrea Gilbert is due to come in at the same time.

I have to agree with many others though, now that Rooney has gone, a striker (especially one of good goal scoring capabilities) is not just needed - it is essential.