FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Double signing

Libero

There would have been a pretty substantial offer on the table for Rooney. With him turning it down and no other more established players signed since Rooney made it clear he was not staying, there should be some reasonable money available to attract someone decent.

There would have been a pretty substantial offer on the table for Rooney. With him turning it down and no other more established players signed since Rooney made it clear he was not staying, there should be some reasonable money available to attract someone decent.

One would have thought so, but I've just read an article that says we lost out on Terry Gornell the young striker we were due to sign from Accrington Stanley because a fee was payable due to his age and we couldn't afford it! Hope this is not true. What about the Marius money we ended up not needing.. where did that go.. ?

• Agree 1

Think it's become pretty clear that the club have no intention of paying a fee for any player.

My main concern is the defence. We need more cover and someone with experience. The decision to let Munro go looks - at the moment - less and less understandable.

• Agree 1

This funds issue, seems to have been something that has only reared its head in past few weeks. Remember first of all, Butcher said that most new signings would be younger, less experienced players due to "financial constraints" and now the Gornell deal has fallen through due to "limited funds". So, what's happened here? Was there money in the first place, and if so, where has it gone?

• Agree 1

This funds issue, seems to have been something that has only reared its head in past few weeks. Remember first of all, Butcher said that most new signings would be younger, less experienced players due to "financial constraints" and now the Gornell deal has fallen through due to "limited funds". So, what's happened here? Was there money in the first place, and if so, where has it gone?

The club made it clear that players would not be signed for fees over the summer. Accrington were due compensation because they offered Gornell a contract during in that window of time they were permitted too. I cant remember how long it is but im willing to bet thats why that deal fell through because he is under 23. We got Tansey for free because he was never offered a new deal by Stockport and because he moved cross border.

The funds that were going towards Rooney's potential new contract will still be there surely as he only left a week ago. Im sure the wage packet alone would be very appealing to a player of a decent calibre.

• Agree 1

I hope Meekings isn't deployed as a centre half because I thought he struggled there against Forres.. He just seemed to be too small. I can imagine him being a better full back. And as I've said before I hope Terry isn't taking Shinnie in as a forward because I really don't think he's suited to play there. Anyway I'm glad to at least see the squad growing and I look forward to both lads making me eat my words.

Whilst I agree that Rooney's contract should be used to attract a real quality player but I don't want to see someone coming up just for the money...

A. Shinnie captained Scotland Under-21s as an attacking midfielder. He's really for that Sanchez/Gil role (I would hope!). I think his pedigree means he's well worth the risk. Butcher was in the press today saying Meekings is one for the future, not the first team yet. We don't know his salary but I'm guessing it's attractive to us if he's not going straight in.

I'd imagine we will be going 4-2-3-1 next season with Tansey and Cox in holding midfield and Hayes Shinnie and Foran ahead of them with Tade up front

Nick Ross could feature in any midfield position and will probably play everywhere when one player or another's injured

At the back who knows at the moment but I have faith Terry has that covered

Meekings could be a gem or a flop as could every young player. that's a gamble worth taking imo

Edited by lukemackay

I think there could well be a case to play the 4-4-2 diamond next season. Some like this -

Cox

Tade---------------------------------------------------Hayes

Tansey

Foran New Striker

I think something like that, could well be the best way to play. Hayes and Tade charging up each wing, with Tansey or Andrew Shinnie sitting behind the front two feeding the ball through. I must also say, that Foran has to be played down the middle next season. He's far superior there than on the wing.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

i would be surprised if we went with the above formation and players. In my opinion our 2 best players in pre-season have been Nick Ross and Shane Sutherland, Ross in particular looking very sharp. He could be a big player for us next season

I think there could well be a case to play the 4-4-2 diamond next season. Some like this -

Cox

Tade---------------------------------------------------Hayes

Tansey

Foran New Striker

I think something like that, could well be the best way to play. Hayes and Tade charging up each wing, with Tansey or Andrew Shinnie sitting behind the front two feeding the ball through. I must also say, that Foran has to be played down the middle next season. He's far superior there than on the wing.

Well well, looks like the Renegade was right (or sort of anyway...)! According to this, Butcher wants to play a diamond system with Ross and Tansey on each wing with Hayes down the middle. I think that could work well with Hayes as a central winger kind of position.

Edited by Renegade