FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Player of year polling

Alex MacLeod

Dont want to clutter the POY thread with debate so started new thread.

Haven't been at a game since dunfermline so cant comment on performances but all the reports I've read so far suggest that Golobart should be leading this week by a country mile. I know Tade and Shinnie both scored but my question is, is scoring the criterea that decides who people choose or does it come down to total performance? The reason i ask is that I remember, not so long ago, a player coming off the bench, doing nothing for most of his time on the park except be in the right place at the right time and scoring a winner. he got loads of votes.

Dont want to clutter the POY thread with debate so started new thread.

Haven't been at a game since dunfermline so cant comment on performances but all the reports I've read so far suggest that Golobart should be leading this week by a country mile. I know Tade and Shinnie both scored but my question is, is scoring the criterea that decides who people choose or does it come down to total performance? The reason i ask is that I remember, not so long ago, a player coming off the bench, doing nothing for most of his time on the park except be in the right place at the right time and scoring a winner. he got loads of votes.

It clearly influences decisions if a player scores, but it can't be everything, or we wouldn't have had last year's winner.

Everyone watches the game from a different perspective and all sorts of incidents/performences can have a bearing on the impression of the game which someone walks away with. Sometimes a piece of individual skill which has come from nowhere will stick in people's minds, sometimes a player can do nothing for the whole match but a goal is remembered after the match. Some people like to watch disciplined defensive players, some showboating midfielders, some free scoring attackers. 'Keepers and strikers will do better due to the fact that they are at the business end of the game. It all depends on what you personally take from the game.

• Agree 1

Everyone watches the game from a different perspective and all sorts of incidents/performences can have a bearing on the impression of the game which someone walks away with. Sometimes a piece of individual skill which has come from nowhere will stick in people's minds, sometimes a player can do nothing for the whole match but a goal is remembered after the match. Some people like to watch disciplined defensive players, some showboating midfielders, some free scoring attackers. 'Keepers and strikers will do better due to the fact that they are at the business end of the game. It all depends on what you personally take from the game.

^ this

some people are heavily influenced by goals, personally i would be much more inclined to vote for a man of the match based on creativity in terms of passing, setting up chances/assists. Effort quite often comes into it, someone like Tade who would run through a brick wall, literally, would be more inclined to get a MoM from me rather than a player who may have scored a tap-in in the same game

Well - the three - Tade, Shinnie and Golbart were streaks ahead - according the POY at the time of posting - and the goals may have swung it.

Tade has 93 points, followed by Shinnie on 83 and Golbart on 72.

The only other to hit double figures was Morrison whilst their were points awarded to Ross, Foran, Piermayr, Doran and Tokely - it would appear that Rosscoe's Dad was at the game as he got a MOM award too. :tongueincheek:

When I cant get to game I try and judge things from the POY and the comments on here as well as the press. This week Gollie and Shinnie stood out in the Sun and both made this weeks dream team. There are times though when the press reports bear absolutely no resemblance to whats indicated on here and that can be confusing.

It can be misleading anyway.

If most of the team were to have a bad game then its easy to pick the best of the rest, although on most occasions I find it unfair to award 5,3 and 1 points to just three players and even then the player with only 1 point probably deserves more.

I would be happier to award 5,4,3,2,1 to players.

It can be misleading anyway.

If most of the team were to have a bad game then its easy to pick the best of the rest, although on most occasions I find it unfair to award 5,3 and 1 points to just three players and even then the player with only 1 point probably deserves more.

I would be happier to award 5,4,3,2,1 to players.

How about 20 points you can divvy out as you wish between all the players?

There will always be a degree of difference as people have their favourites and as is seen in this thread some go for the goalscorer or the goalie with a shut out or the person working hardest. Personally I suspect that a lot of people may judge players on where they play or play soccer themselves. I always cast an eye on defenders or creative midfielders - I rarely go for forwards unless their scoring achievements are matched by effort and a degree of skill.

I always look at the final results of the POY - the MOM may always be the best player in my eyes but I often feel that the top 2 or 3 usually come up tops overall.