FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Players & Privacy?

Mrs Pauliebee

This Tokely business has got me thinking, where do you draw the line?

It's very tricky!  Glasgow is a prime example a city turned into an absolute

goldfish bowl for players!  I'd like to think the relaxed atmosphere of the Highlands

is one of our attractions.

If a player is on official business, at a function or whatever, then it's fair play to go up

and say hello and get the banter - it's expected.  If it's an everyday situation then I reckon that's

a bit different.  You have to respect their privacy, and treat them with the respect you'd

deserve back.

We saw Rosco at The Charlatans gig last night, I said hello and b*ggared off, he's

out with his mates and should be left alone.

Then you've got the other side of the argument - high profile public job etc.

When and where would you personally draw the line?

Good post Mrs PB.  The players are usually happy to chat (within reason) to fans whether or not they are on official duty or out privately.  I think they are really protected in the Highlands as we don't have the press presence that they do in the central belt.  I also agree with you that it is possibly one of the attractions of living in this area. 

There is a fine line.  We also have a really grounded bunch of guys who don't carry that celebrity 'air' about them.  They should have the right to have a night out like the rest of us.  The team are often out and about on a Tuesday night as Wednesday is usually their day off depending on the fixtures.

Now with my job I could tell you some stories, but that would in my opinion 'cross the line'  :001: :001: (Only joking by the way)  :003:

Maybe some of the players would like a wee bit more attention, staring/pointing/autographs etc. are all part of being an SPL footballer is it not,some people prefer privacy some may like hero worship, like Oats worship of Richard Hastings for example.

Where do you draw the line? Personally I see no need to draw any line. People are in the public eye because the gutter press of today puts them there. I would like to see all people treated equally. Whats the difference between a footballer, oilrig worker, nurse, butcher, baker, carer or whatever. Everyone of us has a job to do to make a living and should be seen just for that.

The British influenced countries around the world are the only ones where the press decides who to build up and knock back down again. The king of Spain can walk around the streets of Palma and nobody gives a **** but we see a two bit footballer out on the town and need to see some big press story about him next day. And if he doesn't provide the material for the story we'll just make something up anyway.

This is a great topic ... well done for thinking of it Mrs PB

Like anyone else, players are entitled to their privacy. However, as Alex says, they are put into the public eye by the press and need to keep their wits about them as there are plenty of people ready to take pot shots at them or filter stories to the press if they think they know something "juicy" or think they might get a few quid.

I have been out in company with some of the players over the years and luckily most of ours are (and always have been) just normal guys with normal egos and normal failings. I have been present when some of them have done daft things, or had too much to drink, but personally I see no need to go running to the press or to publish the information on the web as it was their personal time and I was not there with the purpose of getting content for the website. In other words, I respected their right to privacy. I am sure that if I printed half of what I had seen and heard on nights out I would never have been able to enjoy a pint with any of them (when invited) ever again !!!

I have also been out an about and bumped into players who are out with their friends and have maybe said hello and had a 1 minute conversation but then, knowing that there must be boundaries, have left them alone to get on with their night out in the same way that I got on with mine .....

I dont think any of our players are too bothered about fans saying hello or telling them how good a game they had, but there have to be limits - if you are keeping them away from the people they came in with, or from doing whatever it is they are trying to do, then you may have overstepped that limit.

Eh reckon a lot has to do with the current obsession with "Celebrityism" and the publics insatiable appetite for snippets of gossip from the lives of folk they percieve as more interesting than themselves.Many also feel important being able to name drop and have some "inside info" and are desperate to divulge it to anyone interested.

:tosser:

Eh reckon a lot has to do with the current obsession with "Celebrityism" and the publics insatiable appetite for snippets of gossip from the lives of folk they percieve as more interesting than themselves.Many also feel important being able to name drop and have some "inside info" and are desperate to divulge it to anyone interested.

:tosser:

Very good point, but we must be aware that these type of stories only appear in the 'lower' league of newspapers who will pay a good wedge to informants for these type of stories, so whoever spilt the beans regarding the Heathmount will be having a better xmas.

I also heard a different version of the incident today which i will divulge to the nutters in the Innes tomorrow.

Of course they are entitled to their privacy and unless they do something which attracts attention then that should be respected. However, in this country anyone coming into professional football has to be aware, and accept, that the press are continually on the look out for 'dirt' on them. It's just the nature of the industry and something players need to be clever to avoid being caught in it.

I work in the licensed trade and I don't have anything in my job description which says that if a fight breaks out in my club I need to get involved in breaking it up. But my staff and I help out the stewards, if they need it, because it is expected of us within the industry. I think the same thing goes with media attention in football, it is just expected that it will happen and players have to deal with it.