FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is Butcher the Man for the Job?

jaggy

It actually is a sad state of affairs when many of us are staying away. In many ways I feel embarrassed by the fact that I decided a few weeks ago that this season was over for me - and I cant totally believe that. I took ma missus and ma wee one to Livingston shopping this weekene when I would usually be motoring up and down the A9. I am going to miss my first Killie away game in years cos I am going to a retirement party in Preston. Then I am going to World Rugby Sevens on May 5th instead of another of my faves - Midden. And I am missing the last game of the season for the first time in years and coming up to Sneck later in the month.

And it aint totally down to the spondoolachs. I am afraid that the standard of the SPL in general has dipped markedly. Appart from drubbing Killie and pinching a point at Muvversmell I feel that ICT have been simply awful this season. I have said all I have to say about TB - and many who chastised me are now singing from the same song book - but this has been an equally awful season for bad luck, we are playing what I would call some "mercenaries" and some "favoured". But our tactics, selections and formations have been rank rotten.

I was half hoping for TB to mellow and take some of the criticism but unless he walks - which for a narcissist is highly unlikely - we are stuck with him for next season. I really hope that we prioritise pre-season for training etc., we get rid of some of the flotsam, we utilise the players like Doran and Shinnie - who will almost be like new signings - and if we need to go to loans they are considered and not reactive.

I have to totally disagree with CD's statement as the writing was on the wall from pre season and the opening game at Muversmell.

See you all next season comrades - or should I say pre season !!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok we at safe from relegation now, but last nights game was one of the worst games I have seen all season. Butcher and Malpas were noticeably quiet which considering how important it was is surprising. Tactically poor,defensively poor, could hardly get a shot off on target. Same formation, same rubbish tactics same rubbish result. To not do better against the worst team in the league is reflective of our poor season. Luckily Dunfermline are as bad. Butcher and Malpas have proven they cannot change to adapt and if we continue along the same lines next season we will end up in the same position as Dunfermline.

• 2 weeks later...

Butcher interview on BBC about next season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18047672

And from Sporting Life - must be the only person that didn't want the season over with ;-)

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/nw_story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/12/05/12/SOCCER_Inverness_Quotes.html

I think, and if I'm honest, I probably hope next season is his last because I think that our wee club has lost a lot of it's identity over the recent past and I feel he has played a big part in the change.

Edited by caleyboy

Average age of squad: 24

Points from bottom: 14

Games lost: 1/2

Games drawn 1/4

Games won 1/4

These are round ups, but add decimal points if you wish. Thing is, a very young squad (promising and potential long-term stability), easily safe in the end (albeit to a woeful Dunfermline) and maybe it's not the silky skills of Spain but it's still good enough for SPL.

The likes of Partick, Dundee, Falkirk probably, most definitely, look at ICT and now Ross County and ask "tiny catchment area, newest teams in the league, miles from anywhere, no cash, what the &*?! is going on?"

Every single fan would like to see a team of U21 Invernessians getting the team into the top 6 but with an average age squad of 24, and the team yet to fully gel, I think it was not as bad as some say.

Next year will be the real test, however.

TB is an ICT legend.

• Agree 1

To say that last season was a let down is an understatement, but a new one is upon us and I think this could one of the most important pre-seasons in our history. TB has to get it right and as he is the man in the job we need to get behind him and hope that he does get it right.

Edited by gordieict
  • Agree 2

Legend - No, but a safe, stable pair of hands in charge IMO. Nearly kept us up when we got relegated from wat looked a doomed position, got us back up 1st time of asking with a long unbeaten run, kept us unbeaten on the road for over a calender year and consolidated our SPL status 2 years running. Overall not doing too badly I think.

Edited by bdu98196

I saw a post earlier talking about the identity being "ripped out" and went on to list the players of a couple of years ago. Everybody accepted that those players would not be able to perform in the long term, and surgery was needed.

Now the squad is maybe too young! Point is, ICT are in a development stage, going from the Highland leaguers to young imports. Impossible to have that ever again, those days are gone. Unless you want to try again from Div. 3?

Every year ICT will face going down, like every other non-OF team just about. That's reality.

Calling for the manager's head is just out and out negativity and way OTT.

• 3 weeks later...

The current situation is not of Butchers making. This club has no money. We cant afford to be in this league. When we came into the SPL it was reported that we'd need an average gate of 4500 to break even. Gates have dropped and costs have gone up since then. The dream that full stadiums would happen on a regular basis did not come to fruition so we are skint.

Skint he enough to put an improved deal on the table for Hayes and Tansey ?

They may well have been on a fraction of the wages Tokely was on and hence more scope to make an improved offer

Skint he enough to put an improved deal on the table for Hayes and Tansey ?

They may well have been on a fraction of the wages Tokely was on and hence more scope to make an improved offer

Without actual figures that's a moot point. Despite being so 'skint' as some allude too, we still seem to manage to make improved offers to the players Butcher really wants to keep. Did Foran take a pay cut with his new 2 year deal in January??

Edited by kencar
  • Agree 2

The current situation is not of Butchers making. This club has no money. We cant afford to be in this league. When we came into the SPL it was reported that we'd need an average gate of 4500 to break even. Gates have dropped and costs have gone up since then. The dream that full stadiums would happen on a regular basis did not come to fruition so we are skint.

Hey look on the bright side Alex the above predicament of the club will bring back memories of supporting your club in the so called great days of yore you keep harping on about

Thistle all end in tears

Dougal

Hey look on the bright side Alex the above predicament of the club will bring back memories of supporting your club in the so called great days of yore you keep harping on about

Thistle all end in tears

Dougal

Dont think you'll ever find a post where I harped on about the great days of yore.

Here's a crazy idea....... He was the man to build a first division wining side that bounced up first time of asking, let's see if now he has theoretically got his desired to build a team he wants..... All be it decimated, I'm thinking, let's see how many of our fans come running back if we are top six next season...... Before I'm shot down I point at the first sentence on my post.

No it aint crazy it is actually wholly realistic. Any manager would wish to have his "own" team either signed by him or continuing to be welcomed and appreciated by him. Most managers have a favoured manner of playing and a couple of preferred systems. The problem since promotion has been that the players have not fitted in to the system and/or the players brought in have not had the requisite skills or abilities to fit in to the system. Many of the loaned in players have smacked a bit of reactive desperation and were evidently not scrutinised wee enff prior to their arrivals. So that should all have changed now and there should be a wish list of players made up weeks if not months ago with priorities added in. I still feel that we should not be aagian making a top six finish as the ambition/aim but go to survival, improved performances and consistency. And I also hope that we try and secure year long loan deals or at least six months with an extension added in to the deal.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...