FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Merger Talk

TheCaleyjags123

Not being pedantic renegade merely pointing out that it was not unique to scottish football as you stated

My original post was in answer to somebody agreeing with somebody else that the club should make the red and blue stripes a permanent fixture.  This followed on from the discussion about what the club's image should be.  For many clubs, the home shirts and their design is an important part.  It was pretty obvious that I was talking about the home kit and it, as Scottish club's kits go, is unique is the sense that no other Scottish league club has it as their home shirt (while others may have as an away kit or have had it in the past they are not uniquely identified by it).

I think some people just like arguing about nothing! 

I'd stop digging now Rene .

Hope the sarcasm didn't pass you by there!!!

Went to school with many of them, but the ducks @rse style hair-do they all seemed to like was never my thing.

I'm sure you made your feelings known to the "hard-nuts" at the time of course. :lol:  :lol:

A debate on the merger and now on to the Casuals.....been a great afternoon and not even the evening rush yet :ohmy:

• Agree 1

dalneighcaley, youve brought this thread right down with your bitterness. almost 20 years on, get over it.

It's a thread about the merger boy . You probably weren't even born when we were scrapping with other likeminded lads all over the Highlands .

i wasnt saying dont talk about the merger. i said stop with the bitterness.

scrapping? harcore mun :crazy:

have we agreed on the number of anti-merger folk yet?

how many fans does this club even have?  about 6-7k turned out to see us lift the first division trophy a couple of times, about the same followed us to hampden for the cup semi finals, thats got to be about it i reckon.

any bright sparks want to figure out the ratio of pro-merger fans to anti-merger fans?

This has been an entertaining thread thus far. Clearly there are still some people who are still very upset and bitter by the merger, my uncle who used to take me to the Caley games (Ben Gunn) is a refusnik and hates all things ICT related. Perhaps it was because I was 13 at the time of the merger and even though I used to train with Caley F.C. as a child I never really bothered me in a massive way.

Here we are nearly 20 years later and by the sounds of it follk are still weeping into their old pictures of Telford St / Kingsmills. Nothing wrong with some fond nostagia but you have to move on and get over it at some point IMO, we have accomplished a great deal in that time and we should be proud of that. Unless someone has a TARDIS to hand that past can never be changed.

Fair play to Reef for unearthing the johnny come latelys amongst our support.

I find it quite sickening that the very same johnny come latelys are the ones that are the most vocal on merger debates yet they rarely or never attended football at Telford Street or Kingsmills pre-merger.

One things for certain there are a fair number of guilty consciences evident on this thread.

I'd even go as far as saying I don't particularly trust a section of the older ICT support, judging by the underhand revelations that allegedly went on back then.

On a parting note I know very little about track and field but maybe I'll start writing a book about athletics.

Dougal

Edited by dougal
  • Agree 2

dalneighcaley, youve brought this thread right down with your bitterness. almost 20 years on, get over it.

It's a thread about the merger boy . You probably weren't even born when we were scrapping with other likeminded lads all over the Highlands .

Those were the glory days grasshopper when we pulverised Putridheid, battered the Broch, destroyed Deveronvale, bruised the Buckie, K.O'd Keith, hammered Huntly, Rogered Rothes, looted Lossie, exterminated Elgin, flattened Forres, clattered the Clach, jettisoned the jeggies and crucified the County.

And Fraz yer uncle had the best feckin name ever but never bought a drink :smile:  

• Agree 1

This has been an entertaining thread thus far. Clearly there are still some people who are still very upset and bitter by the merger, my uncle who used to take me to the Caley games (Ben Gunn) is a refusnik and hates all things ICT related. Perhaps it was because I was 13 at the time of the merger and even though I used to train with Caley F.C. as a child I never really bothered me in a massive way.

Here we are nearly 20 years later and by the sounds of it follk are still weeping into their old pictures of Telford St / Kingsmills. Nothing wrong with some fond nostagia but you have to move on and get over it at some point IMO, we have accomplished a great deal in that time and we should be proud of that. Unless someone has a TARDIS to hand that past can never be changed.

At least you had more sense and are now watching Premier League football and another person is now following Wick Academy!

I posed the question on here a while ago if the CTO posters would be happy if ICT were to merge with Ross County and be renamed Highland F.C. and the overwhelming response was that they wouldn't mind !!! Says it all for me .

Really. Could you maybe ressurect it then cos I'd love to respond. I did try searching all your posts to see if I could find it but gave up after a while.

There's a nice pre merger programme for sale on eBay of the January 1994 league meeting between Caley and Thistle.  The starting price was set at 50p and such is the fanaticism of all the hordes that could never reconcile themselves to the merger that the bidding war has caused the current price to soar to - er - 50p.

Actually, joking aside, this might be an interesting item to have.  Presumably this must have been one of the last matches to have been played between the two sides before they merged and therefore an interesting item for all fans, whether supporters of the merger or not.

There's a nice pre merger programme for sale on eBay of the January 1994 league meeting between Caley and Thistle.  The starting price was set at 50p and such is the fanaticism of all the hordes that could never reconcile themselves to the merger that the bidding war has caused the current price to soar to - er - 50p.

Actually, joking aside, this might be an interesting item to have.  Presumably this must have been one of the last matches to have been played between the two sides before they merged and therefore an interesting item for all fans, whether supporters of the merger or not.

I've got a copy from the last derby match at Telford st. Won't make me a fortune then?

Seems like the real issue here is not so much the numbers of so-called refuseniks, but the far higher numbers of people who are completely indifferent to ICT, those who don't care either way about the club.

Whatever spin is put on the attendances, it is rare to find in any footballing city such as Inverness such a high proportion of the population who could not give a toss for its football club.

• Agree 1

Actually if you look at our attendances to population ratio then it's higher than a lot of other teams in Scotland.  As much as it pains me, you also have to tip your hat to C*unty who undoubtedly top that specific table.

Actually if you look at our attendances to population ratio then it's higher than a lot of other teams in Scotland.  As much as it pains me, you also have to tip your hat to C*unty who undoubtedly top that specific table.

But you've got to look at catchment area rather than the population of the place the stadium is located. Population within 20 miles of us and them can't be massively different.

Those were the glory days grasshopper when we pulverised Putridheid, battered the Broch, destroyed Deveronvale, bruised the Buckie, K.O'd Keith, hammered Huntly, Rogered Rothes, looted Lossie, exterminated Elgin, flattened Forres, clattered the Clach, jettisoned the jeggies and crucified the County.

And Fraz yer uncle had the best feckin name ever but never bought a drink :smile:  

Quite frankly, I'm shocked he took a drink...  :ohmy:

:rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

At least you had more sense and are now watching Premier League football and another person is now following Wick Academy!

:laugh:  Very true mun!

:ictscarf:

But you've got to look at catchment area rather than the population of the place the stadium is located. Population within 20 miles of us and them can't be massively different.

I'd tend to agree with you on this one,the population difference is probably in the few thousand,the question is who has done the better job?

For me Ross County win hands down and i know some will say pre-merger fan etc etc but i think i am justified with my comment.Ross County have tried to go about things in the right way,integratated the local community,set up a ground in the heart of the support not 2 miles walk away,pubs all around.

Community coaches an indoor facility on your doorstep and pubs a footstep from the ground...hmmmm for me this is the model that ICT should have achieved by now but instead it's the Dingwall tinkers who look far superior