FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

How much is wee Billy worth?

davieB

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently there was a bid of £375,000 for Billy in the transfer window from Bulgarian champions, Ludogorets Razgrad. Butcher turned it down. It's interesting to have an actual figure now. So the 'answer' to the thread's question is : He's worth over £375,000! There was an ignorant journalist in the Sportscene studio yesterday expressing his surprise that an English championship club hadn't taken a gamble on McKay in the transfer window, as they'd have been able to get him for "a couple of hundred grand"!

• Agree 1

I am reliably informed that Athletico Barbarazidonigo and Real Rovizgreedybuggers put in similar bids. Lets face it the wee man will be offski in one of the next two transfer windows - and that is why we have to be in the top two and in a League Cup semi at the close of 2013 - the we can continue to watch him until the end of the season and hopefully grab a few spondoolachs

Apparently there was a bid of £375,000 for Billy in the transfer window from Bulgarian champions, Ludogorets Razgrad. Butcher turned it down. It's interesting to have an actual figure now. So the 'answer' to the thread's question is : He's worth over £375,000!

I really don't think you can use this type of offer to gauge what the club might be prepared to accept for Billy.  Regardless of whether the club would accept such a paltry sum for him, acceptance of a bid would require Billy's agreement.  I don't know about Billy, but it would certainly take a very attractive personal package to tempt me to move from Inverness to Bulgaria. 

Six goals in six games is a very good start. I'd argue that he hasn't even played to his full potential yet and he is still scoring goals. Its hard to put a price on his head but since he is likely to be one of the top goal scorers in the league this season i'd reckon he would be worth quite a large amount of money, for an ICT player anyway. 

6 in 6 and he's still managed to miss quite a few "easier" opportunities.. which, in itself sounds quite bad, to have scored 6 still.. is rather dapper.

If only he had popped in the few others he should have against Hearts and even Killie

Once he masters dancing around keepers and slotting the ball in the net he will be worth a fortune. The problem for other clubs is that few play our style of football with such a tiddler up front taking all the stick and running all day. Meantime let us enjoy because he clearly is a top talent which we at least recognise. 

You were right the second time. One third would simply have been 1/3 or 1/3rd.  I could of course have done it like 1s/3d. Anyway, why would anyone want to know how much he is worth............. he is priceless.

Another good thing for ICT is that we have no debt and it is unlikely that we will be forced to sell him just to cover a huge deficit (unlike other teams in the SPFL). So yes, £ 1m could be the region where Tel and the Board say "Ok, let's sell him" because we'll be able to afford the wages of an equal replacement plus two more good players for the money and additionally improve the infrastructure at the club. All this talk of "We won't get half of his real value because we're a wee club" is nothing but nonsense.

The Caley board are traditionally soft touches in my opinion when it comes to transfer fees and exceptionally naive when it comes to renewing contracts. I could have told you that Andy Shinnie was going to be key last season. A new deal should have been sorted beforehand. 1 year extension. Might have got a bit of dosh for him or kept him a little longer.

It just grates me 3 seasons in a row its been Rooney, Hayes, Shinnie and this season?

• Agree 1

Think you're being very unfair there.

In recent times we've been incredibly successful in retaining the players we want to keep - nearly all of last years squad, for example. Getting Billy Mckay on a 2 year extension when he was the league's top scorer? Incredible.

As for the names you quote, they are the exceptions and in each case were up and coming players who perhaps didn't want to tie themselves to us for more than a season, to keep their options open.

It's incredibly hard to retain top talent with the very limited budget we have and I don't think anyone can seriously complain about our success rate.

• Agree 1