FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Next Scotland boss

Yngwie

Two questions :

1) Who should it be?

2) Who will it be?

The BBC suggests a fanciful list of contenders including David Moyes, Billy Davies, Alex McLeish, as well as the usual suspects of Tommy Burns, Joe Jordan, Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness.

International management these days seems to appeal to experienced managers looking for semi-retirement (what do they do for the other 357 days a year?) and I cannot imagine any rising star managing at a high level being remotely interested. You will also get decent mid-level managers looking for a pay rise.

So managers likely to be keen would surely be Jimmy Calderwood and Jim Jefferies (and probably Ian McCall  :015: ) Not sure if Levein would want it yet, and I think Sir Alex has unfinished business.

I'll be very disappointed if they play the "continuity" card and go for Tommy Burns (who led us to a 4-1 defeat to Sweden in his only game in charge).

Not sure it matters.

Whoever gets appointed will fail to qualify for the Euro Champs and the press will wax lyrical on 'what might have been' if Smith stayed in charge. He got out whilst the going was good  :007:

Alec Miller is a name that has not been mentioned. Maybe not for the number 1 job, but perhaps something in the background? He has an excellent reputation as a coach with Liverpool.

Benitez is under a little pressure, so when the new owners take over and if things don't improve as they would like will he be on his way? Would Miller jump before he is pushed?

Rumour has it that a shortlist of 5 was drawn up and that this is now down to 2 - McLeish or McAllister

Others that were rumoured to be on the initial list

Jim Jeffries - may have ruled himself out as he has backed McLeish for the job and SFA doesnt want someone currently employed elsewhere.

Tommy Burns - speculation that he would prefer to stay as assistant (along with mccoist)

Joe Jordan - was interested but SFA doesnt want someone currently employed elsewhere.

Rumour has it that a shortlist of 5 was drawn up and that this is now down to 2 - McLeish or McAllister

Others that were rumoured to be on the initial list

Jim Jeffries - may have ruled himself out as he has backed McLeish for the job and SFA doesnt want someone currently employed elsewhere.

Tommy Burns - speculation that he would prefer to stay as assistant (along with mccoist)

Joe Jordan - was interested but SFA doesnt want someone currently employed elsewhere.

Notice the two players remaining on the shortlist both don't have contracts that the FA would have to buy them out of.... coincidence  :024:

I am very surprised that Moyes and Davies haven't been given more of a mention, Moyes especially, He's served his time at Everton and I'm sure he would be ready for the challenge if he was asked, obviously the SFA don't want to pay a manager out of a contract.  We should be hunting for the right man, not taking whatever person is lying about doing nothing at this moment of time. 

Who should it be? It should've been Gordon Strachan before Walter Smith took over. I'd like to see someone like Gary McAllister take charge with Alex Miller as assistant.  McAllister has had some management experience, and Miller is used to doing his work out of the limelight, so I think it'd work a fair bit better than the Republic's Staunton + Robson team.

Who will it be? Alex McLeish - and to be fair I can think of worse candidates...