FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

Reported on BBC Kenny Miller watching ICT at Easter Road today, having just recently left his team in Canada he is looking for a return to Scotland. 

Is he looking to return to Hibs, or could he have been invited by the ICT board. Craig Levein also at Easter Road.

Personally I'd take the more experienced of the two, hands down

Guest Mahonio

Names mentioned in Record and Sun: Craig Levein, George Burley, John Robertson (Wilson ad assistant), Kenny Shiels, Jimmy Calderwood, Paul Sheerin, Csaba Laszlo, Paul Hartley and Ian Murray, any thoughts on Murray, Sheerin and Burley? Others have had opinions given so that's why I didn't mention them.

Guest Mahonio

What are your views on length of time board should take in finding a successor, should it be as quick as Hibs or should board take until after international break to get it right?

I reckon they'll go for a quick appointment, maybe during international break with 23rd being 1st game for new gaffer.

Of all the names mentioned, none of them really appeal to me.

Shiels?? Feck, no...he's useless. Certainly don't want Levein anywhere near here either. As for Tangoman,,, :lol:

Give Foran a chance til the end of the season. He's inspirational on the pitch, and could well be just what we need for continuity. Plus...it'll mean he doesn't follow Butcher around anymore!

What are your views on length of time board should take in finding a successor, should it be as quick as Hibs or should board take until after international break to get it right?

I reckon they'll go for a quick appointment, maybe during international break with 23rd being 1st game for new gaffer.

I think we have enough coaches with enough knowledge of the squad to carry on what we are doing. Dunc's and Charlie could take over in interim and give us plenty time to get the right people on board.

Don't know if he's been mentioned anywhere else but I wonder if Jim McInally at Peterhead would do a job for us. He's done well with Morton and the Shire and is doing well at Peterhead. Nine or ten years management experience and a good record in the lower leagues. he could be well ready for a step up.

I think we have enough coaches with enough knowledge of the squad to carry on what we are doing. Dunc's and Charlie could take over in interim and give us plenty time to get the right people on board.

Don't know if he's been mentioned anywhere else but I wonder if Jim McInally at Peterhead would do a job for us. He's done well with Morton and the Shire and is doing well at Peterhead. Nine or ten years management experience and a good record in the lower leagues. he could be well ready for a step up.

Not sure about McInally. Peterhead have the biggest budget in their division but he can't get them above mid table.

I would like to see Kevin Macdonald back in Inverness. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_MacDonald_(footballer)

Kevin is recognised as a really good coach, but he has been given two chances as manager at Villa and Swindon and been a total disaster at both of them.

Wonder if Craig Levein would consider taking Richie Foran on as Assistant, otherwise I can see Richie following Tel for a small fee.

I also hope that our Board are wise enough to get a clause in the termination of Terrys contract to stop him plucking away our better players, Ie Ross, Shinnie, Mckay, Doran, Meekings, Warren, Draper, Tremarco, Raven, Polworth, etc etc

Barry Wilson - Done well with Wick, but not yet.

Maurice Malpas - No.  Took a top six Motherwell team to the brink of relegation.  Failed miserably at Swindon as well.  Good coach/assistant, not a manager.

Paul Hartley - Possibly.  Done well with Alloa and a fairly big name, but a bit of a weirdo.

Craig Levein - No way.

John Robertson - No.

Barry Ferguson - Possibly.  Could be a good choice with an experienced assistant.

John Collins - Possibly.

Jim Jeffries - No.

Duncan Shearer - Sacked by Buckie.  No.

Jimmy Calderwood - No way.  Wouldn't have him if he was the only candidate!

Henrik Larsson - Yes.

Csaba Laszlo - Possibly, though perhaps wouldn't suit us.  He's rather defensively minded.

Kevin MacDonald - Yes.

George Burley - Yes.

Steve Paterson - Yes, IF he's sorted himself out.

Richie Foran - Not sure as manager, but yes as assistant.

Chris Sutton - Interviewed last time and didn't get it.  Failed at Lincoln.  No.

Charlie Christie - Nice man, but no.

Tony Mowbray - Would he come?  Probably not, but I'd strongly consider him if he was interested.

Edited by Renegade

Barry Wilson - Done well with Wick, but not yet.

Maurice Malpas - No. Took a top six Motherwell team to the brink of relegation. Failed miserably at Swindon as well. Good coach/assistant, not a manager.

Paul Hartley - Possibly. Done well with Alloa and a fairly big name, but a bit of a weirdo.

Craig Levein - No way.

John Robertson - No.

Barry Ferguson - Possibly. Could be a good choice with an experienced assistant.

John Collins - Possibly.

Jim Jeffries - No.

Duncan Shearer - Sacked by Buckie. No.

Jimmy Calderwood - No way. Wouldn't have him if he was the only candidate!

Henrik Larsson - Yes.

Csaba Laszlo - Possibly, though perhaps wouldn't suit us. He's rather defensively minded.

Kevin MacDonald - Yes.

George Burley - Yes.

Steve Paterson - Yes, IF he's sorted himself out.

Richie Foran - Not sure as manager, but yes as assistant.

Chris Sutton - Interviewed last time and didn't get it. Failed at Lincoln. No.

Charlie Christie - Nice man, but no.

Tony Mowbray - Would he come? Probably not, but I'd strongly consider him if he was interested.

Out of that list the appealing ones are: Paul Hartley and Henrik Larsson. Henrik has went and got his coaching badges but he would use us as a stepping stone to get Celtic but again still appealing due to the style of his football understanding. Paul Hartley has done really well with Alloa and deserves a chance at the big time would be worth it!

Although Tony Mowbray would be an interesting choice.

Edited by ICTRoughi

http://www.bestofthebets.com/managers

I like Alan Knill

No problem with him at Bury

Steve Cotterill is good , managed Burnley Notts County and Portsmouth  did nothing wrong

Has a lovely wife who will make sure he gets support from a few financial giants
Edited by Laurence

Give Foran a chance til the end of the season. He's inspirational on the pitch, and could well be just what we need for continuity. Plus...it'll mean he doesn't follow Butcher around anymore!

^ This. Before the game yesterday I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea; by the end I was thinking 'make it happen'. Foran was at the heart of a superb team display - defensively, he got his body in front of everything and going forward, his use of the ball was superb. It was also really heartwarming to see the way he led the players over to acknowledge the fantastic away support at the end of the game. Get him signed up, Kenny.  

Stuart Baxter has got experience in a few countries, double winner last season, few years left to retirement - perfect choice!

It might to fun to astonish the pundits by actually being the first club to appoint the legend that is Stuart Baxter although I think he may be more myth than legend.

Kevin MacDonald seems to fall very much into the Maurice Malpas mould. A great player who went on to be a very well respected and successful coach but who, for whatever reason, seems to fail when handed the managerial reins in his own right.

I seem to remember that when Pele left the job was offered to Duncan Shearer and that when Robbo departed to follow his dream to Tynecastle Donald Park was sounded out. Although both decided to follow their bosses to pastures new we seem to have a track record of being keen to promote number twos when managers leave so it may well be worth having a punt on Malpas.

Speaking of having a punt, has anyone seen the odds yet ?

Edited by Kingsmills