FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

I was told as well, that apparently Dundee United got their the new management team (McNamara, Jackson and the other one), for the money they were offering Peter Houston alone.  For that reason, I can't see him coming up here in any capacity.

I know his time at Swindon ended in strange circumstances, but I was reading there that Kevin MacDonald was very big on trying play attractive football, while also trying to bring young players through.

He sounds to me like he could be the man for the job.

I keep reading that the Bookies favourite is Levein yet on searching all the sites I cant find odds. I want to put my cash on Peanut

Bet Victor and McBookie (who I today realised are owned by Bet Victor) were the only bookies offering prices today but according to tweets by McBookie they have taken the market down for tonight and they will be putting it back up in the morning.

Never heard much more about Pele? Has he reformed his..er..approach to life perhaps? And is there any indication that he might be able to emulate the last four years or so in terms of success?

Apparently, Tony Mowbray was a good manager with,  I think, Sunderland up until very recently. He did very well in the first year but the next was less so and, because he didn't achieve spectacular success, he was fired. Seemed very unfair but these top teams have little tolerance for any kind of apparent failure. So Moyes had maybe watch his step at Manchester United.

Anyway I think Mowbray got a raw deal and he might be well worth considering EXCEPT that if he takes the job it could, I assume, be for the short time before he makes his name again and is off to another Premiership club. So, on that score, we don't need another Terry towelling trick do we?

Calderwood is solid as I see it--as stated he has done well so hope he is at least in the frame.

Ask Donview what he thinks about his performance at Aberdeen....

Craig Levein is my favourite. He might get a mixed response after what happened with the Scotland job but can't deny he is a fantastic club manager. He made decent teams at Hearts and Dundee United, he might have struggled a bit in England but then doesn't this sound like someone else who has just left.

He (Levein) remains the bookies favourite but is drifting in the odds. I think he'd be a satisfactory choice although not my favourite.

He spoke a lot of unrealistic nonsense about our World Cup qualification chances when managing the Scotland team.

In a horrendous group with Belgium. Macedonia, Serbia, Wales and Croatia he thought it wise to state that, not only would we top the group and qualify, but that we would win all 10 games!!! And this tripe from the man who feels it viable to go for a 4-6-0 formation!

I disliked him as a Scotland boss - he's a Glasgow media darling whose reputation far outdoes his ability.

But he's undeniably a high profile candidate and will certainly be short-listed for the job - probably interviewed, but not a certainty to get it....

Jimmy Calderwood for me.

He (Levein) remains the bookies favourite but is drifting in the odds. I think he'd be a satisfactory choice although not my favourite.

He spoke a lot of unrealistic nonsense about our World Cup qualification chances when managing the Scotland team.

In a horrendous group with Belgium. Macedonia, Serbia, Wales and Croatia he thought it wise to state that, not only would we top the group and qualify, but that we would win all 10 games!!! And this tripe from the man who feels it viable to go for a 4-6-0 formation!

I disliked him as a Scotland boss - he's a Glasgow media darling whose reputation far outdoes his ability.

But he's undeniably a high profile candidate and will certainly be short-listed for the job - probably interviewed, but not a certainty to get it....

Can't see that Calderwood would ever beat Levein to any job tbh!

Jimmy Calderwood for me.

Might be wise to get a bob or two on Kevin MacDonald. Have an inkling the odds may shorten before long.

Well a few moments ago I stuck a bet on him at 20/1, and when I refreshed the page straight afterwards his odds had immediately fallen to 14/1!

Beside heeding your own wise words, I hope people noted what David Sutherland had to say today : need experience, there are people who have been out of work too long, mainly operating in England.

Now that we're losing Marsella, we'll need someone in our new team with a proven record of spotting talent. Steve Paterson plucked the likes of Paul Sheerin, Barry Robson, Paul Ritchie, Dennis Wyness, Barry Wilson, David Xausa and Roy McBain from the football wilderness. Obviously he had some well documented problems after he left the club. But he's now returned to the same position he was in when he first arrived, managing a team at the top of the Highland league.

I would take him as manager outright, but he could also be a very good, experienced number 2 for a young up and coming coach like Paul Hartley.  

Would he be a good Director of Football?  Think about it: he could go away scouting players all over Britain (and beyond), and have some input in tactics, training and the direction of the team, but would be out of harms way and he could simply get on with it, as well as possibly been able to keep his day job in some regard as well.

I think something like that could work.

The problem is money, The owners have a 100 grand compo, plus whatever Terry and Maurice were paid, Surely they could entice a decent manager to the frozen North. I don't think we  should look too long term, if they could get somebody decent in to the end of the season maybe.

Sorry. I just can not understand why anyone would be touting Kevin MacDonald for manager, coach yes, manager no. His record was so similar to Mo Malpas and spookily both were disasters at Swindon Town.

Gus MacPherson had his teams play anti football, defensive low scorers.

Kenny Shiels nah big mouth strikes again. Would cost the club too much in fines with the strange decisions we seem to get off many refs.

Seems to be between Craig Levein and Paul Hartley with the fans. I think both would be safe, and be likely to keep us up at our current dizzy heights. Levein had a good record against the Dons and Perth, whereas Hartley played for them both. Levein is certainly determined and really good with the youth and club set up, Hartley was a winner as a player, and seems to be a winner as a manager - he can also spot a decent player, as  when he signed for Alloa  they only had a couple of players signed, and they won the league. 

Levein to me would be safe, Hartley could be a hidden gem. The latter to me would be the more likely to move on to a bigger club