FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Celtic -V- Inverness C.T.

Scotty

Today was always a hiding to nothing - lose an early goal at Cellic Park and it is usually a case of damage limitation thereafter. Some good goals scored. What really did Yogi have to lose today hy going fer it. Lets face it - the next two games are as big as we have ever experienced - Bring it on.

It's all my fault, the other day I was praising our fantastic defensive record this season as we had achieved 4 consecutive clean sheets.

Even after this mauling, in 26 games we have conceded just 26 goals - and the remarkable thing is that half of them came in just 3 games, showing how tight we've been in the other 23 matches!

Probably best to write this off as one of those days. They are a better and better-resourced side which probably played with a certain amount of wounded pride, and we just didn't get started. Lazy c&p of what I posted over on Pie and Bovril:

It was an absolute stroll for Celtic. It has been a few years since we offered so little threat at Celtic Park - even in the 5-0 game in Brewster's first game back in charge for his second spell, we created several clear chances early on.

What struck me was that we seemed to be slower all over the park - going forward, Ross and Vincent were consistently outpaced or outmuscled, and when Celtic were attacking, we didn't seem able to track their movement properly. There was also some uncharacteristically bad defending - Shinnie lost Mulgrew for the second, Raven was shrugged off by Griffiths for the third, and the fourth was a complete howler from Brill, who otherwise had a better game than the scoreline suggests. There were a few nice moves - the one in the first half TheGreenMonster refers to above was lovely, and if Foran had been able to keep his first time shot down then it could have been one of the goals of the season - but really, we didn't present any threat. With their greater quality, and perhaps with a bit of renewed determination after Tuesday night, I expected Celtic to win fairly comfortably, but it was frustrating to see a performance that fell so short of what we're capable of producing.

Had Doran been fit, then we might have presented a little more threat; I would like to have seen Watkins on earlier as he is direct and can force defenders onto the back foot; and Ryan Christie showed enough innovation when he came on to suggest that he should probably be given more game time; but overall, it was probably a game we were always going to lose, and if it has a motivating rather than a dispiriting effect on the players, then there's probably no harm done.      

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 1

Bad performance today but always a tricky fixture. not hugely relevant in the scheme of things and more important games coming up. Honestly think we need to rotate things a bit and young Christie is one who I would like to see more of. By all accounts he's got huge potential but needs game time. also like to see more of Watkins and devine.  

I wasn't at the game but from most of the reply s it sounds like we didn't do ourselves any justice today. I think one of those days and we now forget it as we have bigger fish to fry. On match of day you always here when a club lower down the table has to take the points from the teams around them and anything against the better sides is a bonus, well i think this is the case here. 5-0 is disappointing after the other two matches we have played against Celtic this season but they re still the run away leaders can dwarf us in any category and after midweek it was always unlikely that we would get much . Lets forget and move on, huge game up next vs Dundee united in the cup where we could get a place in the semi which would be fantastic. They may have picked up form but they are still very young and not invincible. Hibs i hope will be a formality as they were rank rotten on Friday night and then it is our big day in the sun. It hasnt been a great day and  think 2nd place is going to be very hard to retrieve now but Motherwell only beat Hearts so in fairness was expected to win today but we can still grab 3rd and the European spot instead. Hopefully (even though we wont face the quality of Celtic anywhere else) this will just come as a timely reminder that we still have jobs to do and that yes it is exciting but we must just play every game as it comes. We haven't become a bad team overnight, we just faced a better side with a major point to prove so i am not worried at all. 

Sorry but why are people accepting this result like it doesn't matter. Yes it was at Parkhead against the champions elect but to accept a total grubbing without response is ridiculous. I wasn't at the game but I got a good account from my wife who was there, albeit in her role as a support worker and in the wrong area, and her words couldnt be repeated on here. She says we were totally outplayed and outmuscled. We had no fight just sat back and took it. Regardless whether we were going to get beat or not we should still have been doing a hell of a lot more to at least minimise the deficit. Those goals against could be the difference between europe and no europe. The league is the bread and butter, the cups are bonuses. If this game had been played before we knew our cup fate the thread would be full of anger.

• Agree 2

It's all my fault, the other day I was praising our fantastic defensive record this season as we had achieved 4 consecutive clean sheets.

Even after this mauling, in 26 games we have conceded just 26 goals - and the remarkable thing is that half of them came in just 3 games, showing how tight we've been in the other 23 matches!

Still on course for our best (top-flight) defensive season ever. 38 against in the 38 games from 2005/06 is our current record with Tokely, Munro, Dods and Golabek the chief defensive custodians. The 5 consecutive clean-sheets after the split that season, certainly helped!

Sorry but why are people accepting this result like it doesn't matter. Yes it was at Parkhead against the champions elect but to accept a total grubbing without response is ridiculous. I wasn't at the game but I got a good account from my wife who was there, albeit in her role as a support worker and in the wrong area, and her words couldnt be repeated on here. She says we were totally outplayed and outmuscled. We had no fight just sat back and took it. Regardless whether we were going to get beat or not we should still have been doing a hell of a lot more to at least minimise the deficit. Those goals against could be the difference between europe and no europe. The league is the bread and butter, the cups are bonuses. If this game had been played before we knew our cup fate the thread would be full of anger.

Obviously the cup final has made people far more optimistic about the season as a whole, but I think the way this result is apparently being shrugged off is as much to do with the fact that it has come on the back of two decent league wins. Given that John Hughes has had a patchy start in the league, I think a lot of people were quietly pessimistic about the County game, yet it sounds like the performance and tactics were excellent. Even for a game where getting anything was going to be a long shot, there's no question that yesterday's performance was very poor - from your paraphrase, your wife's analysis was spot on - but, imho, there's not much point in being heavily critical unless this turns out to be the start of a run of poor performances.

• Agree 1

We broke the golden rule of going to Parkhead by losing an early goal; the only way to succeed there is to frustrate the team and crowd until at least half-time. As others have said: so long as it has a positive and not demoralising effect..

Was there. We were outclassed.

This may though go down as the greatest result of our season. Next Sunday's game is very important. The Cup Final is important. We are virtually certain to be in the Top 6. Only Hibs can catch us and that is very unlikely.

We will respond. Celtic are out of both cups and have the League only to concentrate on. They responded like dynamite from their Aberdeen loss. They gambled £1,000 on Van Dijk's appeal. They were up for celebrating Fergus McCann saving them from disaster. We lost Doran who would have given them some extra worries.

History. 

• Agree 1

We were rubbish and nothing came off for us and for Celtic everything did. We also seem to be back to trying to pass the ball into the net again.

Ryan Christie looked good when he came on though.

Couldn't care less about matches against the Old Firm (what there is left).  And I don't just mean when it's ICT. It's boring.  Just exhibitions.  Will Barcelona beat Blackpool?  Yeah, of course, unless the multi-millionaires can't be bothered. Who will win the SPL this year? Who will win it next? They aren't worth bothering about.

• Agree 3

Who was that real old pensioner on at the start?  God, he went on forever!  I don't know what the cap signifies as well, but it wasn't half boring.  Get on with it for good nasake! 

Who was that real old pensioner on at the start?  God, he went on forever!  I don't know what the cap signifies as well, but it wasn't half boring.  Get on with it for good nasake!

Totally agree! Thought it should have been done at half time if at all! Players already warmed up standing getting cold too!

• Agree 1

Brian Quinn he helped Fergus macann take over celts hours before they were going to fold. Built the wonderful stadium we were in yesterday. 20 year anniversary of take over. Wasn't a cap bye the way it was a bunnet always worn by Fergus.

As a club we shouldn't have agreed to it and told them to do it at half time.