FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Motherwell V ICT - matchday thread

Scotty

Oh dear  :007:

Just read the match report on the BBC website, sounds like we deserved what we got.

Danny Murphy's flighted free-kick found MacDonald unmarked in the box and he headed the ball past Fraser from six yards to give Motherwell a deserved lead.

That just about sums it up really  :007:

Bottom 6 for us it would seem

However, I'm sure this board will be full of the harbingers of doom the night !!! :006:

Why shouldn't it be? It's just the same when we get a fantastic result with folk talking up our top 6 chances and even Europe by some. It always happens after an excellent or poor result but the posters are different dependent on the result that day.

Seems that a lot of posters on this site wait until they have something to moan about before they post on the site

I'm all for people being constructive with their criticism but it's the posters that start asking for CC's job after 1 bad result that get me pi55ed

Don't see anyone asking for CC's head on this post or indeed any other (in the last few months anyway)

I would imagine most people are just disappointed with todays result - I know I am  :009:

Well once again the players can't be faulted for effort, poor first half all around, a momentry loss of concentration saw us lose a poor goal.

I don't care what anyone says but the bulk of the second half was Inverness pressurising the Motherwell half, in fact Motherwell were playing on the break such was the fairly constant pressure. Having said that we were struggling big time to actually get a shot of any kind in.

The long ball was fairly evident today, a style of play which I must admit I don't mind, especially when we've got a centre-forward like Graham Bayne to play to. Bayne was unquestionably our top man today.

Some poor performances today though. After last week when I thought Duncan was excellent, I'm afraid I thought Russeldinho had a shocker, what a difference when Blackie came on.

Paatelainen also gave us fresh ideas on the left, he looks like he's gonna be good for us. Young Rory was poor though.

The long ball was fairly evident today, a style of play which I must admit I don't mind, especially when we've got a centre-forward like Graham Bayne to play to. Bayne was unquestionably our top man today.

I think you will be in a minority of 1 with a statement like that. How can anyone like long ball football? Its boring, reflects a lack of skill or vision which has no place in the modern game 

I'd rather we lost every week playing a passing movement game rather than be subjected to such p**s  :008:

I think you will be in a minority of 1 with a statement like that. How can anyone like long ball football? Its boring, reflects a lack of skill or vision which has no place in the modern game 

I'd rather we lost every week playing a passing movement game rather than be subjected to such p**s  :008:

Och I couldn't care less if I'm in a minority of one, who cares.

The long ball gets a bad press but what's the first thing a team do when they're desperate for a goal ? And as often as not they'll get it !

i wasnt at the game today and i didnt listen to it as i was at work so i cant really pass judgement but by what ive read a lot of people want to stay loyal to CC.  Personally i was disappointed with his appointment and i still dont rate him as a manager and find myself constantly questioning his lineups and tactics but as long as hes the man in charge i will support him.  But a wee thought for you all, are ppl staying loyal purely because he was a great player for us and they feel bad about critising him or do they genuinley feel he is the man for the job?

I noticed in the Sunday Mail, that CC said words to the effect that he was raging at the defensive slip up that cost us the goal, the man who was meant to be marking McDonald was posted missing, he says he knows who he is and he's told the culprit.

So who was that man?

I watched Setanta last night and Dods was absolutely fuming at someone but I couldn't make out who, Dods seemed to be on Craigen and Munro was marking someone else further away.

Any ideas ?

We were truely terrible today, until Black, McSwegan and Markus came on, and McCallister came off.

CC gets my backing, but he makes some decisions that baffle me.  The first one was allowing McCallister to stay on the pitch for the amount of time he did.  He missed arguably our best chance of the game, a free strike in the box with no pressure and he blazes it over.  Also, in the first 10 minutes of the game, gave the ball away twice in dangerous areas that Motherwell nearly scored from.  He doesn't have the quality to be an SPL player, and he looked like he didn't care most of the time.

As soon as Black came on, we were a totally different team he was moving, looking for the ball and it also allowed Barry to stay on the right, as he was having a tendancy to drift inside because no body was working there.  Markus had a good attempt that was well saved and Rankin had a shot that the keeper made an absolute mess of - but alas, no body following it in.

He needs to change it next week, and with it being such a high profile game, players needed to show that they had the fight.  Rory, sorry, but you don't.  Blackie however did.

The only time I have ever seen Caley play worse was earlier this season at Love St where we drew 1-1 and didn't exist in the second half.

The goal furiates me, because of who scored it and how much space he got.  There wasn't even anybody thinking of marking or making a challenge on him, and for a player like Scott McDonald, the biggest threat, it baffles me as how he got so much room.  That said, he could have easily been sent off for an elbow (which he was booked for) and then a rash challenge down near our box.  Tokely will become a new hate figure as well for a crunching tackle that led to a motherwell boy going straight into the boardings at speed, 'Well fans wanting us to put the ball out (the guy was off the pitch) as he was supposedly writhing around in agony, but cue the magic sponge and he was as fine as day.  Good to see that Tumulty booked the Well player for diving.  We were as far away as you can get and I saw it was a dive.

The ref (Tumulty) had a good match in my opinion, allowed it to be a physical contest, a proper old school game of football and let the game flowed alot.  Played some good advantage once or twice that could have led to goals from either side and was fair.  Good to see a difference from referees who want to get involved, he tended to take a step back unless it got proper ugly.  All his bookings were justified.

On another point, this is the first game I have been to that Black played and wasn't booked.

Watching Setanta it looked like Dods but I suspect it was either Duncan or Roy.

But how the feck are we supposed to win away in the SPL when we stubbornly persist with Duncan and Royster in the middle of the park. That is why we need a ball player like Black. Without that we are forced into the hoof mentality and the wide players like Rankin and Wilson are starved of service. Again I wish CC would get off his high horse with Black - and at least admit that he is giving young Rory a run in the team fer experience. Pat O'Linnen aint ready yet and McSwegan is ineffectual with the hoof scenario.

Rankin especially is a better player when Black is there - that is becos he gets the feckin ball passed and Bazza can wander more.

We appear to have returned to the lets sneak a 1-0 away win situation again.

As fer Bayne - the hoof makes him look better as he runs about all day and is willing to go fer anything.

All constructive criticism but if an insane old git like me can see the evident tactical drawbacks then shurely others can !!  :020:

Wasn't there, and haven't seen it on the box, but Duncan is usually excellent at sticking to his task of cancelling out the oppositions biggest threats, wouldn't be like him to be posted missing.

Looking to next week, replace Roy with Black and we'll maybe see a bit more creativity feeding the front men.

As for who should partner Bayne, well the choice aint exactly enormous but it needs freshening up, we looked like we couldn't buy a goal recently, the only real option is McSwegan on from the start with Rory coming on once the Swegster's knackered.

There just aren't any magic wands to be waved to produce a matchwinner from the back room unless Ritchie Hart is on his way back.

As my old granny always said,  you can only p**h with the c**k you've got !

Alex - I know feck all about football which is why I'm stuck in the middle of the feckin north sea, but this is more interesting than what I'm supposed to be doing right now and it passes the trip.