Brechin City -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

Good, and encouraging, post Finmack.

I especially liked the bit about our Chairperson coming down from the Ivory  tower to thank the players for a good show on  the day. That alone is very important information to learn about for overseas fans and even more-so for the home fans who regularly support the team in person. It seems as if our new Management   knows how to win friends and influence people. 

Things may be really looking up now. So let's not forget to give John Robertson a pat on the back as well.

"Slow and steady wins the race " said the rueful  hare to the tortoise as he woke up from his slumber in the ditch to just see the tortoise crawling over the winning line.   "You've got to crawl  before you run" quoth the wily tortoise as he relished his victory.:clapping:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good 2nd half performance after a shaky start. We reverted to a back 4 with Trafford sitting in front. Vigurs played further forward & Polworth was again given a lot of freedom. Connor Bell came in from the left to support Baird when we attacked. The 1st half was scrappy with few chances at either end. Although Brechin didn't create much, they had Elsdon & McKay flustered on a couple of occasions & must've returned from the break thinking they could still take something from the game. How wrong they were. We dominated them completely & should've scored more. Vigurs & Trafford bossed the midfield, repeatedly sending Polworth off to drive into space through the middle. Robbo's got him playing in his best position now, & the centre of midfield looks to have a nice balance. 

For all that, i'm still a bit worried about the rest of the team. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, ICTFC said:

This was great to watch....thanks for posting, must say Celtic Park looks rather mundane after seeing how this ground looks!

It may only be Brechin, but a win is definitely a win, along with four goals, a clean sheet and the signs of some sort of balance and players finding their feet.....if only I could say that about my other team, following the score during the game yesterday brought welcome relief and my friend sitting next to me was looking pretty bemused when I also exclaimed "blimey Falkirk 4 nil down at home"

• Agree 1

Was nervous about this after the absolute car crash of a performance at East End Park, but in the end it was more comfortable than I could have hoped. There wasn't a great deal in the first half - we probably had slightly more of the ball, but chances were pretty even. Looks like Vigurs got a bit lucky with a deflection for our first, and Mckay wasn't really challenged for his header back across goal for the second. We pretty much controlled the second half, though, and it was good to see the likes of Polworth playing with freedom and confidence. 

The key to our improvement over the past couple of games seems to have been the introduction of Charlie Trafford. I wasn't up for the Morton game, so this was my first look at him. He seems a very unfussy player and just sits in front of the defence, looking to break up attacks and then hold the ball until he can send someone away, but having him there allows Vigurs to try to dictate play a little further forward and allows Polworth, who looked much improved yesterday, to drive forward. Connor Bell also impressed, playing in a left-sided attacking role for most of the game before moving to the right when Calder game on, and I'd have him starting on one of those sides in place of Mulraney from now on. On the other side, Cooper contributed less, especially in the first half, but his movement and composure for his goal were excellent. I'm still unconvinced by our defence: Raven had a solid game, but Elsdon, Mckay and Chalmers are all capable of looking hasty in the challenge and uncertain in possession. They weren't troubled all that often, but against teams with tricky, pacey attacking players such as Cardle, they will struggle. Having Gary Warren and particularly Carl Tremarco back should make a difference, however, as much for their leadership qualities and presence as their defensive ability. 

It was great to see another decent travelling support getting right behind the team. The stewarding of the young team looked pretty heavy-handed to me, as if they were expecting trouble from the start. Otherwise, it's a cracking set-up at Brechin, with the wee bar beneath the stand and the ability to move easily between stand and terraces. A bit of a faff to get to from Glasgow if you don't drive, though, so I won't be bothering going up for this Challenge Cup nonsense against Aberdeen colts next week. Looking forward to the rest of September: intriguing fixtures against clubs I have't seen us play for a few years - St Mirren, Livvy, Dumbarton and Queens - and we should have a much clearer idea of how the team is developing and how we match up in this division by the end of the month.         

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Blair said:

Watched the  highlights now and to me Caley looked  now the team to win the league  and looked great like the way they used to play in matches.

Steady on!! Hope you're right though, given that Brechin have had a draw with Livvy & only narrowly defeated by Dundee Utd, does give grounds for optimism.

Big test will be the next game, which is St Midden away, I believe? That'll give us a good indication of where we are. Will hopefully make that one..

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Blair said:

Watched the  highlights now and to me Caley looked  now the team to win the league  and looked great like the way they used to play in matches.

Steady on. An encouraging performance and a few welcome goals against a part time team with a budget about a quarter of our massively reduced one.

Nice to get a win and be off the bottom but far far too little evidence as yet to be talking of the side that got tanked at East End Park as possible league winners.

• Agree 1

Plus points -

• A good win and a clean sheet
  • Vigurs is playing well this season.
  • Polworth had a much improved game.
  • Trafford looks a decent signing - fairly energetic and breaks up and distributes play well.
  • Bell looks a good signing.
  • Robbo seems to have found two systems that really work - 3-4-1-2 and yesterday's 4-3-3.

Negatives - 

• Baird works hard but didn't seem to have enough bite to score goals.
  • Cooper works hard and took his goal well but looks too powderpuff to really challenge teams.  Wonder if he'd be better in central midfield.
  • Elsdon looks dodgy.
  • Agree 1

Steady the Buffs. Brechin has a great park but a team that seems very slow off the mark and almost totally afraid to tackle.

It's great to win but a word of caution.  Even at a slower pace than I expected them to play in this league our team appeared to saunter through the whole game.

Caley were not outrun, outpaced, outtackled nor dispossessed once in this video which seems to feature the highlights. To have any chance of winning the league I feel they will have to up their tempo and inject more urgency in their play.

Early days? Perhaps, but they can't let any team off the hook by being too relaxed which could be their downfall. If, and when, the opposition is inferior or just on the ropes they have to despatch them clinically and quickly.  IMHO. 

Bottom line is that the club are at risk of getting into trouble because of the behaviour of these supporters.  It doesn't matter if said supporters think that's unfair - its the way the SFA are running things right now.  Is it really worth damaging the club's reputation (and bank balance, potentially) just to set off a smoke bomb in front of a few hundred fans at Brechin?

On a personal level, I groan with dismay whenever I see flares and smoke bombs.  People have been badly injured (or killed in at least one case I read of) because of these devices.  I also know of fans with chest complaints such as asthma or COPD who are made breathless if they are in the vicinity.  Oh, and in a piddly little ground like ours (or Brechin's) they just look naff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

There seems to be an attitude from the young team that because they are creating an atmosphere, anything else that comes with it is part and parcel of it. No acknowledgement from them of flares/smoke bombs not being permitted in the ground or verbally abusing of stewards(heavy handed as they were at times) being unacceptable.

They need to take responsibility, self police themselves better and, in some cases, just grow the **** up.

Edited by Adamskibeats
typo
  • Agree 6

2 hours ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Bottom line is that the club are at risk of getting into trouble because of the behaviour of these supporters.  It doesn't matter if said supporters think that's unfair - its the way the SFA are running things right now.  Is it really worth damaging the club's reputation (and bank balance, potentially) just to set off a smoke bomb in front of a few hundred fans at Brechin?

On a personal level, I groan with dismay whenever I see flares and smoke bombs.  People have been badly injured (or killed in at least one case I read of) because of these devices.  I also know of fans with chest complaints such as asthma or COPD who are made breathless if they are in the vicinity.  Oh, and in a piddly little ground like ours (or Brechin's) they just look naff.

As I stated in the Supporters Club thread, they should grow up. Their singing (mostly) is positive, but smoke flares etc is pathetic. Those who are known to be in amongst it should not be allowed on to the supporters bus in Inverness in the first place. The same numpties who were playing up at Dunfermline were in the thick of it again at Brechin from what I could see.  About six of them appear to be the main culprits. Stay at home, watch CBBC and burst your zits, instead of annoying us who just want to support our team. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Caman said:

As I stated in the Supporters Club thread, they should grow up. Their singing (mostly) is positive, but smoke flares etc is pathetic. Those who are known to be in amongst it should not be allowed on to the supporters bus in Inverness in the first place. The same numpties who were playing up at Dunfermline were in the thick of it again at Brechin from what I could see.  About six of them appear to be the main culprits. Stay at home, watch CBBC and burst your zits, instead of annoying us who just want to support our team. 

Laughable that you stated that they should 'Grow up' when you went on to say 'stay at home, watch CBBC and burst your zits', a rather childish and condescending comment.

however, I do agree regarding the smoke bombs, I don't think that the people that bring in smoke bombs realise how serious the punishments they could face are.

what happened at Dunfermline? Wasn't at the game

And some folk on this site were slating me last year for complaining about the behaviour of these OTT youngsters. As I said back then this should have been nipped in the bud, but now with SPFL "Unacceptable Conduct" correspondence I rest my case.  

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, InvernessCT19 said:

Laughable that you stated that they should 'Grow up' when you went on to say 'stay at home, watch CBBC and burst your zits', a rather childish and condescending comment.

however, I do agree regarding the smoke bombs, I don't think that the people that bring in smoke bombs realise how serious the punishments they could face are.

what happened at Dunfermline? Wasn't at the game

Not 'childish and condescending', just someone who is cheesed off with the numpty element at away games. 

Dunfermline - some of the numpties just being that, shouting and swearing in front of kids, slagging off other ICT fans who weren't bowing down to them etc. 

4 minutes ago, Row S said:

And some folk on this site were slating me last year for complaining about the behaviour of these OTT youngsters. As I said back then this should have been nipped in the bud, but now with SPFL "Unacceptable Conduct" correspondence I rest my case.  

I too feel vindicated.  I too took a lot of flack following the Stirling Albion SC game as did others. Agree should have been nipped in bud long ago 

• Agree 2

Sorry and i know i will take a lot of flack for this but talking about the issues does not deal with them. 

We had 120 fans there and approximately 100 of them let this behaviour carry on.

They did not personally challenge the behaviour, identify the individuals to police or stewards or get them kicked if the bus for the return trip. Fans were removed from the stadium were the ejected from the return bus or allowed back on?

This is the equivalent to walking by a mugging as you dont want to get involved or watching a girl get plied with drink and not making sure she got home safely. 

Responsibility means we have the ability to choose our response and not just observe and bitch afterwards. 

Was at a game down south in 80s when a fan threw an object from amongst  about 400 people.  To a man everyone behind him pointed at him and identified him to the police. 

The poor  behaviour is a breach of your personal standards and if you do not directly stand up to it at the time you become complicit. 

Can i break the red card record with this post?

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Facepalm 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic