FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Old Firm Game off

Fanoffooty

I suspect people might wish to comment on and discuss the merits of postponing this and other matches this week, and I think it would be better if that happened on a dedicated thread like this rather than the one paying tribute.

This decision surprised me as I wasn't aware of any calls from anyone to call the OF game off. I can't say I agree with it myself, but I completely understand the reasons why.

It makes me wonder if there is any momentum gathering behind the scenes to postpone all of this week's games?

The game was postponed at Celtic's request.  

Our game is definitely going ahead.  I have spoken to people at the club and there has been absolutely no talk of a postponment. A minute's applause will be held as a mark of respect to Phil O'Donnell.

This country has a very unhealthy "grief culture" IMO, and I'm glad we've decided to go ahead with our game.  I think it far more fitting that "life go on" and we take time during that to pay tribute as opposed to cancelling everything and creating am awkward period of limbo.

However, to each their own, and if the OF felt it necessary to suspend their game then so be it.

However, to each their own, and if the OF felt it necessary to suspend their game then so be it.

I suspect one half of the OF would have been happy for it to go ahead, with Celtic missing their best player  :023:

This country has a very unhealthy "grief culture" IMO, and I'm glad we've decided to go ahead with our game.  I think it far more fitting that "life go on" and we take time during that to pay tribute as opposed to cancelling everything and creating am awkward period of limbo

A rare occasion, Don -  I couldn't agree more  :004:

I wonder whether Phil O'Donnell would have wanted any Motherwell games postponed, let alone those involving other sides. If, by 'this country', you mean Britain, you're spot on - the only thing Boris Johnson got wrong was in singling out Merseyside. Folk in these islands are turning into a proper bunch of navel-gazing ambulance-chasers. People die, and it's proper that those left behind mourn, but a sense of proportion seems to have gone out of the window.

The game was postponed at Celtic's request.  

I reckon they are playing a trump card here because by the time the fixture is re-arranged they (Celtic) will probably have a full squad to pick from.... :023: :023:

Meanwhile Dundee Utd, whose players witnessed something horrific at close quarters, are going ahead with their home match against out of form Hearts.

Good point. Well done Dundee United  :clapping03:

This country has a very unhealthy "grief culture" IMO, and I'm glad we've decided to go ahead with our game.  I think it far more fitting that "life go on" and we take time during that to pay tribute as opposed to cancelling everything and creating am awkward period of limbo

A rare occasion, Don -  I couldn't agree more  :004:

I wonder whether Phil O'Donnell would have wanted any Motherwell games postponed, let alone those involving other sides. If, by 'this country', you mean Britain, you're spot on - the only thing Boris Johnson got wrong was in singling out Merseyside. Folk in these islands are turning into a proper bunch of navel-gazing ambulance-chasers. People die, and it's proper that those left behind mourn, but a sense of proportion seems to have gone out of the window.

I agree that the other games shouldn't have been cancelled, but the idea that you would ask the Motherwell players to return to training let alone a game is just out of the question after that.

That's not what I meant, and not what I said - given the season Motherwell are having I suspect their fallen captain would have wanted them to carry right on and chalk up another victory. How the people at Motherwell FC feel is another matter.

A good new year to you  :003:

Motherwell is of because the guy played for them and their players would not be fully focused on the task. Gretna is of because Fir Park has been made a shrine until the funeral. Celtic....well I can be as cynical as the rest but Rangers didn't object so I assume they see nothing sinister. For the rest I see no reason to call off.

I suspect one half of the OF would have been happy for it to go ahead, with Celtic missing their best player  :023:

I think Mantis and some others have hit the nail on the head.  Of course Rangers could not object to the postponement for the reasons given by Celtic.

I am cynical on the OF call off.  I am worried it is down to the worry that some small minded bigots would not mark the minutes applause as they should with him being an ex celtic player.

Not sure about this though...  I think if it had been a minutes silence then some could have spoiled it.  The Celtic fans would have drowned out any inappropriate noise from Rangers fans with the minutes applause.

The SPL have to be very careful in the handling of these things and in all honesty I think they've got this one totally wrong.

Although I disagreed with the postponing of the OF Derby, the moment they made the decision to allow that then the option should have been available to ALL teams.  With it coming to light that Dundee Utd were refused a postponement then the SPL only add fuel to the fire that they (the OF) receive favourable treatment from the bigwigs.

Guest TinCanFan

I think that all of yesterdays games should have been postponed and then it should've started up again on Saturday with the Wednesday games being arranged for a later date.  If that had been done there wouldn't of been so much arguing from clubs on whether or not their game should've gone ahead.  I do though think that it's pretty ridiculous that the OF game was stopped but not the Dundee United one when they did witness O'Donnell's collapse.