FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Penalties, and why we never save one.

davieB

I heard on the way home we conceded 9 penalties this season (a shocking statistic in itself), and they've all been scored.

When was the last time an ICT keeper save one? And how many have been scored against us since?

It's not like our keepers ever even get close.......or the opposition ever miss the target.

Surely the law of averages would suggest a save at some point!!!

Guest TinCanFan

I think Fraser got a hand on one in the Pars game last season.  And I've read that if a keeper dives to either side he has a 30% chance of saving it but if he stays in the middle he has a 60% chance and MF would've saved Nish's one had he done the latter.

And I've read that if a keeper dives to either side he has a 30% chance of saving it but if he stays in the middle he has a 60% chance and MF would've saved Nish's one had he done the latter.

I think these statistics are about right.  I've always thought that a keeper has a better chance if he doesn't dive to one side.  I'm surprised goalkeeping coaches don't drum this into keepers.

Guest TinCanFan

But you gotta watch that strikers might cotton onto the fact that some keepers wouldn't dive but I don't see the point in diving every time because a huge percentage of them go straight down the middle.

its nine including the league cup...fraser always goes to his right  :024:

League

-----------

11.08 Motherwell - McCormack (90)

25.08 Dundee Utd - Robson (58, 81)

01.09 Hibernian - Fletcher (2)

22.12 Hearts - Velicka (90)

29.12 Kilmarnock - Nish (86)

02.01 Aberdeen - Nicholson (83)

Cup

------------

31.10 Aberdeen - Nicholson (10, 21)

Have we actually saved a penalty since Calder left ?

I can't remember us saving one. I'm sure Brown saved one against Celtic at Pittodrie, but they tapped the rebound in? :024:

How many penalties have been scored against us since someone actually saved one??

Being able to save penalties, or at least get close to them is instinctive and I don't think it is something that can easily be taught....your either good at it or your not.

Let's not forget, that in his early career Calder was the one taking the penalties instead of saving them, this is bound to have given him an edge over other keepers, past, present and future.

The answer, as stated above, is that prevention is better than the cure and we simply need to stop conceding such soft spot kicks.

Guest TinCanFan

I think that if once a keeper knows which way to go then he should dive a spit second before the kicker takes the shot and this allows the keeper to get more of his body covering the net and thus more chance of saving it.  This is what Portugal keeper Ricardo does and he seems to get a hand on every penalty taken again him.

Guest WynessLegend

Correct .............. a superb save from Brown in our first SPL Season, with the rebound poorly defended by our surprised defenders.

I think Brew Army has it right, I am sure the ball went for a corner or if not a corner went near the corner flag when the cross came in the ball ended up on the edge of the box and it got hammered low and hard into the net.

Just goes to show, taken from the bbc website

<<Petrov went from villain to hero within the space of a minute when, first, he had a penalty saved by Brown after Grant Munro handled in the area and then, from the subsequent corner, he volleyed past the keeper from the corner of the area. >>

Grant Munro and penalties, now theres another topic.